“Excellent B&B !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Alban Abbeys Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford
Alban Abbeys Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #67 of 89 Stratford B&B and Inns
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent B&B !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I recently stayed at this amazing B&B and enjoyed my weekend extensively . Scott was an amazing host and an excellent chef. We stayed in the England suite and found it to be spacious, clean and very cosy. Since we were the only couple staying this particular night Scott gave us a tour of the entire house. We soon discovered that it was very clean , very well decorated and had a clean smell throughout .I was shock to read Andrew J's comments since what we discovered was the total opposite My advice to you would be to speak to the host of anywhere you may stay if you are uncomfortable with the situation so they have a chance to fix an issue before going on site like this to write negative comments. I will definitely be back and will be referring all my friends and family to this B&B. Scott keep up this excellent work and can not wait to taste your French toast again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Picton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

We are frequent visitors to the Stratford Festival and make a point of staying in various B&B's in this very pleasant town. This was our first stay at this property. The location is great and the rooms are spacious. The welcome was very courteous. However, everything after that was downhill. Our room was full of artificial flowers which had not been dusted in a long time. There was a very bad sewage smell in our room which was nauseating and preventing is from having a good night's spell. Unfortunately, this is one property that I cannot recommend to anyone.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank intrepidtraveller100
Marina del Rey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I read a previous review in which a woman ranted about a certain room, lack of sleep, too much light, too little portions...etc. We stayed in the SAME room and had just the OPPOSITE experience! Slept like a baby,even though we were facing a street, had more than enough food which was creative and very tasty. Our host was most entertaining and informative about everything in the city from restaurants to directions and obviously LOVES his work. And as for the light into the room.?.They call them drapes for a reason.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goddess-diva
quip17
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2007

My husband and I spent our 1st night away from our twins, in Stratford, Ontario. We took in a play at one of its great theaters, which we really enjoyed!
Beforehand, I did alot of reading and searching for the best B&B. Alban Abby's caught my attention because it was was not a typical B&B - it actually calls itself an INN now, as it's not a personal residence. Visitors can come and go, without feeling like they are disturbing the family or intruding. We could come in late, and it was ok.
It boasted about all the celebrities and dignitaries that had stayed in its rooms, which was pretty exciting for me! Even William Shatner stayed there with his sister!
Parking is free, behind the suite. It is a bit of walk to the theaters and shopping, so we drove and paid for parking downtown.

We stayed in the England Suite, which is the 1st room on the 1st floor. It was a spacious room, with a private bathroom and its own sitting area and front sun room. The bed was a pretty canopy bed.
However.....I have never slept on such a hard bed in my life!! From the moment I sat down on the bed, I knew that it was going to be a LOOONNNGG night. It was horrible. I wondered all night if all the beds in the house were as hard as this.

When my husband and I retired for the night, the hard bed was not the only issue.
The building right beside the Alban Abbey has security lights on the side of it, which are lined up directly with piano windows in our suite. They are as bright as headlights, and the white, transparent curtains on the window do nothing to keep the light out.
I tossed and turned on the hard bed for a couple hours, trying to find a comfortable spot where the lights were less annoying. Finally, in desperation, I grabbed some dark towels from the bathroom, climbed up on the bedside table and hung them over the small windows.
But nothing could be done about the ironing-board bed.
Since the bed was also at an angle in the corner, it was very very wobbly and shaky...which magnified every movement.
Needless to say, my husband and I were EXHAUSTED in the morning.

The breakfast was good, we shared breakfast with one other couple. We have several options for breakfast, and I think we all chose the stuffed French Toast. It was not a BIG breakfast, but it was good.

I will mention one thing that I really liked about this Inn. They provided many types of tea, coffee, juice and snacks 24 hours a day, in the dining room. This was great! We ate out at a really terrible restaurant and came back to our room starving! I quickly found apple sauce, granola bars and tea, to fill my empty stomach! This was a great idea. And since the home owners do not live there, we never felt like we were imposing on them.
If we ever stayed there again, I would certainly ask for another room, find out if all the beds are ironing boards, and just in case, bring our own Feather Bed!

• Liked — The fact that we did not feel likle we were staying in someone else's home
  • Disliked — The very hard bed, the annoying exterior lights on the building beside ours.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank quip17