“Good food, service needs improvement”
Review of Madelyn's Diner

Madelyn's Diner
Ranked #35 of 140 Restaurants in Stratford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've been here a handful of times for both breakfast and lunch. The food is good, as other people have said the butter tarts are magnificent. When it is busy the service tends to drop. I appreciate a server who approaches the table with a smile but I did not experience this at Madelyn's. I was never asked if I needed anything or how I was enjoying my meal. I'm sure I will be back eventually since I live in town but it is not near the top of my list.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We asked our B and B hosts in Stratford for a good recommendation for a ' local' type experience and they recommended Madelyn's.
Great steak and the homemade butter tarts for desert were to die for ,
Atmosphere from 1960 ish diner type, but food and staff were first class. Owner on hand who explained how the butter tarts were made.
We are moving on today , but would have no hesitation in going back

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We came here with a friend who lives in town and comes often. Don't let the appearance fool you. It was a good breakfast. Eggs cooked perfectly, 4 pieces of pemeal bacon. French toast came with 4 pieces. Kept coffee cups filled. Rye toast on option. The hash browns, in my opinion were okay, and maybe could have been a little more plentiful. But the others liked them. I would've rated the service higher except that a couple orders of a toast came quite late in the meal. In fact, my wife was almost done. The waitress said they coming a couple of times, but still, they should have been right there with your meal. My wife said she didn't the waitress was that friendly, but I didn't notice. We'd visit again.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Great little local diner with very good fish and chips, tarts and home baked pies...coconut cream being my favorite. Have been there many times when visiting family in the area and although often very busy, the service is friendly and the food consistent. Frequented by many locals. Prices are very reasonable. I have been known to buy whole pies from this restaurant to take back to family.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

A friend and I went to this restaurant (Madelyn's Diner Stratford, Ontario) for the very first time this morning for breakfast and were very disappointed. My friend had ordered the steak and eggs, and asked for his steak to be blue. After a very long wait, the waitress brought our food to the table, and the steak was more than well done. They could not replace it, because apparently it was the only steak they had this morning. My friend then decided to have ham and sausages instead, so the waitress went to get this for him. Also, I had ordered only one egg and ham, and they served me two. I thought this would have been a very simple order to fill. Next thing you know, one of the cooks from the back walks over to our table. I though she was going to maybe say they were very sorry that they couldn't provide another steak, but instead she came to us very defensively and said, "This is your first time here, and we can't do anything right. I am going to have to ask you to leave". We were shocked, as well as the full table next to us. We left, but will never step a foot in this restaurant again. Instead, we went to Features Restaurant on Ontario Street, ordered basically the same meal, and had it served to us in less than 10 minutes with the steak served as asked for. Features it will be from now on!!!!! I can't believe that someone would react this way to food being returned. Isn't the customer supposed to be right? I have never been treated in this way anytime by any restaurant. I will be spreading the word!!

2  Thank Debbie J