“Great environment, pizza was fine, but not great”

Pazzo Taverna and Pizzeria
Ranked #5 of 140 Restaurants in Stratford
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This building houses two restaurants. The upstairs is an elegant Italian restaurant. The downstairs is a casual pizza joint. It is fun and the service is fine. The bread is fantastic. The pizza, is o.k., nothing great.

There are newer reviews for Pazzo Taverna and Pizzeria

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place is hard to rate, since we came here both for lunch and dinner the same day. For lunch, their basement dining area was open, and my brother and I ordered their Antipasti Plate, while my wife had one of their signature pizzas (don't remember which). Can't remember what my sister-in-law had. Everyone was happy with their selections, which were very tasty, and reasonably priced. We were so happy, that my brother made dinner reservations for that night.

We did not know that the street and lower levels were operated separately. After being seated for dinner in the lower level, we found that the dinner menu was virtually a carbon copy of the lunch menu, save for larger portions, and a couple of bucks added to the price. Fair enough, but not what we expected. When we mentioned this to our server, she offered to escort us up to the street level, and seat us there. We accepted with thanks.

Once seated in the street level dining room, my brother and my wife each ordered the short ribs, while my sister-in-law ordered the 12 oz. ribeye. I opted for their special; Lake Erie Pickerel (which is actually Walleye). Everyone enjoyed their meals, such as they were, except my wife said her short ribs were a little on the dry side, and did not readily fall of the bone. My brother and sister-in-law enjoyed their selections, and my Pickerel was presented atop a mound of tingling potatoes, squash, and, I think, mashed sweet potatoes. Very good.

Now for the unpleasantness. The server was very efficient and accommodating. No problem there. However, the street level dining room has to be one of the priciest establishments that we encountered in Stratford. I mean, 29 bucks for a 12 oz. ribeye, but a 7 buck additional charge for each side? C'mon, now. Also, my Pickerel was very good, but there were only two two-inch long chunks of fish on the plate, and as nicely as it was presented, didn't warrant the price charged for it. To add insult to injury, the very attractive dessert menu indicated 10 dollars per item, no matter which. Restaurant prices seem to be a little higher in Canada than at home, but we've had gourmet meals at home for a lot less.

I guess I'll have to weigh the lunch experience against the dinner in order to come up with a fair rating.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Right on the main street in the downtown core, this little restaurant makes great pizza. Other dishes looked good too and we are looking forward to a repeat visit to try some out. Only across the road from easy parking (on York Street) and a half block to a walk along the river. Prices were good and the beer was cold!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great service from the get go accompanied by delicious food, what else can we ask for??? We started with their antipasto and mussels then also had the pasta and pizza. We enjoyed our meal to the last drop. Everything was so scrumptious and our 7 year old niece also enjoyed her pizza (they had a smaller size pizza available for kids as well). Staff are courteous and are very knowledgable with their menu even suggested a good wine pairing for our meal. We had a great evening, thank you Pazzo!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I love the pizza at Pazzos. Baked perfectly with thin crust and gourmet toppings. Delish! Lots of great drinks to choose from as well. Friday nights during the winter months are my favourite. The locals are out!