“Good Food and Service, but needs a bit more”

Raja Fine Indian Cuisine
Ranked #21 of 138 Restaurants in Stratford
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
United Kingdom
“Good Food and Service, but needs a bit more”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Let me start this review, by saying I am British, and so I am used to what UK Indian restaurants offer. We have also bought Indian spices from Canadian supermarkets and they are way below the flavour and intensity we find in the UK. So that said maybe that plays a part in this review.
We went here with a bit of expectation, and the service I have to say was very attentive. The menu is quite varied with most of the Indian specialities you would expect, Tandoori, Tikka Masala, Korma, Madras etc.
However the pungency is far away from what could be considered authentic. There was no kick, from what you consider real Indian food. Now these guys are probably trying their best, and the Manager who has run Indian restaurants in the UK told us he had to "dumb the food down" to cater for the Canadian palate.
When he asked our opinion of the food and we told him it was mild, he did say to mention on our next visit to tell him we were from the UK and he would make sure it was more authentic to our palate.
All in all its a good restaurant, but if you are from the UK make sure you tell them, and to add extra Chilli, Coriander, Cumin etc which I am sure they will.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank yorkshirebhoy

Pender Island, Canada
“Kudos to the chef!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Prior seeing "Tommy" at the Avon Theatre, we decided to have an Indian dinner. We chose the pre-theatre meal for two: Butter Chicken, Beef Rogan Josh, Chana Masala, Pulao Rice, and Naan. The dinner and service were both excellent. It certainly was the best dinner we had during our three day visit to Stratford. Kudos to the chef!

• Visited September 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“My favourite Stratford restaurant”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I live in town and Raja is my favourite place to dine for dinner. There are many options on the menu including preset three-course dinners for parties of 2 or more. This is often where I take my visitors when they come into town. The decor is attractive and the service is average. Make a reservation for dinner during the theatre season or you will not get in.

• Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“it was ok”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

we have made reservations at this restaurant and it was just ok...although it was very busy...i think the chef was as well! we ordered Vindaloo chicken with other dish and the chicken was cold served with a very hot sauce on top. We returned the food and they brough us back another plate ..but it was the same...chicken is frozen and the defrosted in the microwave and they add a hot fresh sauce on top...we are in the restaurant business and this was not fresh food....wouldn't go back here!
Not worth spending $18 per plate with hard to cut chicken...2 thumbs down!

Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The best Indian food bar none”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We wish they would open a Toronto location. Elegant. Flawless Yummy. And I apologize in advance if there is no lime pickle left. My twin brother and I eat it as if there were a global shortage. The waiters work non-stop as the restaurant is always packed. We eat super early (not by choice but because it is so difficult to get in). For a "mange-cake" family, we could eat Raja every day of the week.

Visited October 2013