“Quality of service from staff”

Best Western Downtown Sudbury Centreville
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 14 October 2013

During my stay at The Best Western, I loved the front desk service received by front desk clerk Jamie excellent. She was very professional and addressed all my questions and concerns promptly and with a great attitude. Although the breakfast was not to my satisfaction. Jamie had made suggestions on how to improve the quality of the breakfast such as fresh fruit. Also she had recommended a great restaurant near by and gave detailed directions which made it easy as I'm from out of town. I'd like to also add that Barb housekeeping staff was very helpful as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Arrived on a Sunday night for a week long business trip. Was not provided a room upgrade, even though reservation was made well in advance on the Best Western site with the request for an upgrade. (Best Western Rewards members that are Platinum or Diamond level typically get upgraded to the best available room). So ok, fine. I can understand that maybe the rooms got booked before my reservation was made, but still dissapointed. Anyways, was given a room without a fridge (room 311). Went down to the front desk with my emailed confirmation sent by Best Western showing that the reservation had a fridge in the room, and that I wanted at least that. She said ok, lets see what room we can go steal a fridge out of. Put a sign on the front desk saying :"Back Soon". Wow.. understaffed much?!
Went up and she looked in room 310 which had a fridge. I saw the 310 room had a TV at least double the size of room 311 and newer furniture. So I asked her, why can I not just switch rooms to this one. This request was accomodated.
Now settling into my new room. Take a quick look around. Torn up carpet, dented and cracked walls, strange white/beige crumbs on the desk chair. Get undressed to take a shower and oh, what is this? No shampoo. Get dressed. Go to the front desk to ask for a shampoo. Answer given: We placed our shampoo order a week ago and have not received any yet.
So I ask: "What are you doing for your guests that need to shower"?
Answer given: "There is nothing that we can do for them"
Really.
I have never seen this issue in a hotel ever before, and I most certainly would expect that they would at least offer to do something!
But no.
So I get in my car and go to the pharmacy to get some shampoo.
The room also had no coffee or tea, but the front desk was able to provide this upon request.
Breakfeast items. Took a look, made a coffee, took a look again, and took a pass on eating anything from here.
I stay at Best Western hotels alot. They are in almost every city that I go to for business and I am rarely dissapointed with my accomodations. But this hotel is beyond an incredible dissapointment.
I read some negative reviews on this place before coming, but retained my reservation anyways telling myself "how bad could it really be?!"
The answer: Pretty BAD!

To the management : Honestly, I have no experience in Hotels management. I stay at alot of them, but have never worked for one. But I think that anyone with any kind of business sense knows that you have to order items BEFORE running out of them. And having run out of them and being unable to resupply on time, come up with a contingency plan! Contact another Best Western and get them to send you some loaner shampoos. Go to the Dollar store and make a deal to buy a huge case of shampoos to distribute to your guests. Offer a discount on the stay. DO SOMETHING! ANYTHING! Show your guests that you're trying! That would be a minimum. It would be nicer yet if the torn up carpets and cracks in the walls were fixed before renting rooms to people, but honestly, having a bottle of shampoo is something that I would even expect from a 20$ a night motel, needless to say at every single Best Western hotel in the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank TravelotSir
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Excellent hotel; central location. Good sized, quiet rooms. Free wi-fi, breakfast included. Very friendly and helpful staff. Decent breakfast in a hall that gets crowded at times. NOTE: Avoid the Indian restaurant on premises.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. The Indian restaurant in the hotel has great food and great staff. Now the hotel itself...the carpets in this hotel have probably never been steam cleaned, dirty in the elevator, the hallways and rooms! The lights in the bathrooms were so dim you could barely see yourself in the mirror! Will never stay there again if I visit Sudbury!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Love2TryNewFood
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The hotel is only about 25 minutes from the airport. It was right down town with many restaurants within walking distance. The onsite restaurant had very good Indian food with large portions. The rooms were very nice and the mattress was excellent. A good night's sleep was had for all 3 nights. Parking is a bit tough in the back. You are better to get a pass and park in the lot across the road.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Vina was great and was very helpful with helping me with several requests that I had.

Rooms are clean and large. 4 pillows per bed with what looks like high quality sheets. Fast internet and friendly staff.

Attached restaurant has Fantastic food, I highly recommend you try.

Great value for the dollar.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Good location, good service, but these problems: In the first room they put me in, the phone and the heat lamp didn't work, plus it didn't have a fridge -- I'd specifically booked a room with a fridge I complained and they put me up in another room -- problem solved, except the shower drain didn't work. By that time, I was just tired of complaining...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo