“Fairly standard Super 8”
Review of Super 8 Sudbury ON

Super 8 Sudbury ON
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here en route to Timmins, July 26. We booked on-line using the Wyndham site, without any problems. Able to use the CAA rate, which was $10.00 cheaper. Our room was on the first floor, non-smoking, close to the middle door into the parking lot and right beside the laundry. We were worried it might be noisy, but around 7:30pm the laundry is finished, so it was not a problem. No odours from the laundry, but there was a problem with smokers going outside to smoke right near the doors - the odour and smoke wafted into our room, as we like the windows open to get "fresh" air into our room.

The check-in was easy and polite. All staff dealings were courteous and efficient.

Our room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was slightly larger than many motel style rooms, which was nice. The shower was good, with lots of hot water and easy to control shower. I would say that the rooms are slightly dated, but clean, so that's what's more important to me.

We had two double beds in our room, and only 3 pillows per bed. We "borrowed" pillows from the second bed. I can't figure out why Super 8 only puts 3 pillows on each bed, when most people like to use at least 2 pillows, especially if they sit up and read. It's not a problem if only one bed is being used.

There was a fridge and microwave in the room, as well as a coffee maker - never as good as home, but my husband usually only puts half the water in those machines in order to get a decent cup of coffee!

The wifi worked really well until around 9pm when most people were in their rooms, probably all trying to access the internet. Then it was slow and choppy. In the morning, it worked more consistently.

We ate dinner at Herbert's Fisheries in the plaza next door. They also have a Killarney restaurant where we have eaten - some of the best fish and chips we have ever had. Very handy to be right next door to the Super 8. (It is a bit pricey for fish and chips, but it's worth it.)

Breakfast was the normal, simple Super 8 breakfast. The toaster only had one slot working in it, so there was a long wait to get toast or bagels. I hope they have fixed it by now. There was some fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, toast, bagels, waffles and sickly sweet muffins. I must admit, I still cringe every time we stay at a Super 8 and have to use throw-away plates, cutlery and cups. I would pay more if it meant using china dishes, etc, and silverware. Or recyclable (paper plates, not styrofoam). The waste is quite upsetting.

The location is handy to everything in Sudbury. So, as I said, a fairly standard, basic Super 8. I would stay here if I am in Sudbury again.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the middle exit doors on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It was the worse hotel I have ever stayed in my 54 years! It smelled so bad was very dirty and the breakfast was bagels not toasted as the toaster was not working and they ran out of everything before 8.30 am!! But the absolute worse was they ran out of toilet paper yes that's right felt bad for the maid she was embarrassed!

Room Tip: Run!! Away quickly
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minniespike

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Glen L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Both smoking and non-smoking floors and rooms smell like Smoking, needs new carpets.
Breakfast tables were not even cleaned by staff between customer use.
Your elbows were dipping in the last customers breakfast jam. Went to manager's desk which is 6 feet away from tables to have her call staff to clean tables..... she laughed and nothing was done! Only 8 breakfast tables to serve around 200 rooms, you ended up eating standing up.
No tables or seats outside available. A small 4 slice ordinary toaster for 200 guests...GET WITH THE PROGRAM and buy industrial moving toaster! you make enough money for it!!

Super 8 gets a Super 2 from me and got my last visit until the chain goes out of business for this particular location.

Room Tip: Simple... go to another Hotel chain like just down the road on Regent.. Holliday Inn!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MichaelDickeD54
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this hotel in advance of a long trip around Lake Huron, my only complaint was we were traveling with dogs and the hotel's policy is not stated clearly. The hotel does allow dogs and there is no limit regarding size or number, but their policy is to put you in a smoking room. The smoking rooms are clean but there is definitely a residual odor that is present upon arrival. Fortunately we were able to purge the smell using the window AC/Heat unit and the bathroom's fart fan, add to that the persistent dog aroma and the smell was almost unnoticeable by the next morning.

Overall the hotel was pleasant and accommodating, I would stay here again if traveling through Sudbury.

Room Tip: Beware of pet policy: they put you in smoking rooms. If you are opposed to this, I advise checking...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family