“Surprising”

Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Ottawa, Canada
“Surprising”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My family and I stayed at the Towneplace Suites the weekend of October 28 to 30th for a family wedding.

From the outside it looks like your average discount hotel. Quite the opposite. Inside it was very nicely furnished, well decorated and VERY comfortable for sleeping.

The pool was great for the kids, they loved the fast water slide and the hot tub. Breakfast in the morning was your typical continental fare, but it was more than good enough for our gang.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Vroom_Craig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Atlanta GA
Reviewed 28 October 2011

This is a rather pricey alternative for a one night stay, but the room was clean and well-appointed. There is an indoor swimming pool and it appeared it had reached capacity with lots of noisy kids. Our guess was hotel guests had invited friends living in the area. Breakfast the next morning was more of the same......way too many kids in a much too small an area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We usually stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites when we stay in Sudbury, but decided to try something different. The Towneplace Suites is very new (less than a year, I think). Everything was still shiny and new and will hopefully stay that way. Unfortunately we did not have time to use the amenities, but we saw the pool and it looks awesome. Hopefully next time we are in town, we will make a point of using it.
Check in was very easy - not your typical lobby 'look' but very simple and functional and I liked that the lobby did not take over a large space in the hotel.
We had a king bed, mini kitchen (full size fridge, 2 burner stove and dishwasher) and a pullout couch. It was a little cramped for 3, but we were really only sleeping there, so it was more than fine. The bathroom is very nice and has a large closet with a safe. If you're staying for an extended amount of time, there is lots of storage.
The hotel was very clean and we all felt very comfortable. Breakfast was included, but since we stayed during the weekend, it was only a cold continential (cereals, breads, muffins, instant oatmeal, friut, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea) which was very nice and all we really needed. During the week they offer a hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc.).
We will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JannyLyn
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel while relocating to Sudbury from Montreal. I arrived on January 6th and I believe the hotel opened on December 21st or so, about 3 weeks before I checked-in. The room was gorgeous, the bedding was ultra comfortable. I had a huge king size bed to myself. There were very few people in the hotel and it was very quiet. The kitchenette in the room was so handy because there is nothing worse than eating out for every single meal day after day. I was able to drive to a grocery store and buy anything and cook nice meals for cheap and have left-overs to take to work the next day. The kitchen was stocked with all the usual plates and silverware, pots and pans and even rubbermaid containers to store your leftovers.

The shining stars of the hotel however were the staff. They were mostly pretty young but over-the-top polite, always calling me Miss, asking me how my day was, always a "good morning" or "good evening" or "have a great day". When they found out I was apartment hunting they went online and printed ads for me, pointed out all the desirable places to live and which areas to avoid, always asked me how the search was going. One lady even brought me an application for her building. They were getting ready to open the waterslide and I was real excited, they called me multiple times a day to give me status updates on the slide's opening and thanks to them I was the first paying guest on that sucker!

A huge bonus was the included continental breakfast. Oatmeal, bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt. Was nice! I absolutely loved my stay and have to say I was sad to go. I missed their smiling faces and chatter.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
AbhayBhargava, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sudbury, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
On behalf of the entire team here at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Sudbury; Thank You! We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. We’re so pleased to learn that you have successfully relocated and we were able to make your experience even a little bit smoother during such an important stage in your life. While our fully equipped kitchens and expanded breakfast selection are essential to a successful stay away from home, I must agree that our service-oriented staff make the difference! Their passion for Marriott’s ‘Spirit to Serve’ philosophy is very apparent in making the entire stay an experience.

We welcome you to drop by any time.

Yours in hospitality,

Abhay Bhargava
Lindsay, Ontario
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Very nice room and very clean had lots of space and extras. We asked for a quiet room and was given one facing the road. I was to tired to go ask for another room and had my ear plugs so just remained. You would think if someone asked for a quite room they would put you away from a busy road. Aircon very noisey as well. Everything else was great so if you want quiet bring ear plugs. Also price was high 149.00.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Niagara, Ontario
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This hotel is quite new, and still apparently has some "rough edges" that need to be worn off. I've read others reviews about problems with the door handles, and we had the exact same issue. We at first thought there was already someone in our room, but the front desk told us that there were some issues, and she'd get the maintenance person to show us how to get into our room. Kind of odd - but once he showed us the trick, we were at least able to get the door open - not always on the first try, and it was a pain in the butt if you had your arms full - but a fairly minor issue overall (hubby grumbled about it quite a bit - but I took it in stride). The rooms are beautiful and the staff keep them very clean.

The only other issue with the property, is the fact that the pool is extremely small - the capacity for the pool area is only 25 people, and it can be a challenge to get in to the pool area when the water slide is open (5pm to 9pm during the week, 9am to 1pm on weekends) - our children were extremely disappointed our first night, as we tried twice in an hour long period to get into the pool - but gave up as it was 8:30 and the slide was closed by 9 anyway. We just decided to go during dinner time and have a late dinner. Big thumbs up to the lifeguards they had on duty to supervise the water slide!

Overall, we had a nice stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank draddus13
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This was a last minute substitution on our tour and for some reason our previously booked accomodation would not let us make an amendment, only a complete cancellation.

We booked a one bed suite. Probably the smallest bedroom I've seen, but overall it was practical and functional and the suite provided everything that we were looking for. This was the halfway point for our tour of Ontarion and our main priority here was on site laundry!

Not sure why modern builds such as this and Fairfield Inn have to install such noisy room aircon units. Presumably cheaper than a proper installation for the whole building. We had to turn the bedroom unit off to stand any chance of a good night's sleep.

Reception staff were pleasant and efficient, and all other staff acknowledged you.

Breakfast was very limited, but in line with this type of establishment. OK so long as you're OK with cereal (in plastic bowls), yoghurt, toast, etc.

Overall, better than a standard motel, but I felt overpriced for what you got.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple