“No Sleep”

TownePlace Suites Sudbury
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for a business/fun trip and brought my family.
There was a few hockey teams staying here the same nights and the noise was terrible. The kids themselves were slamming doors until almost midnight, then the adults proceeded to scream, cuss and drink---as luck would have it--in the room adjoining ours. My kids woke up numerous times through the night, and hotel personnel came up three times even before we called them at 3:15 am. Needless to say it was difficult to wake up at 6:30 for work.

The next day, when we expressed our displeasure, they moved us up to the top floor where there would be less noise. We had to repack everything and had to wait untill the regular check-in time to finally get there, but we slept that night.

Overall, they helped us out the next day, but more needs to be done with loud, drunk, obnoxious people who disrupt everyone else. I understand they are unlikely to boot someone out on the street in the middle of the night, but a fine...a discharge to another hotel the next day...something.

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Sudbury

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I stayed at the Towneplace Suites earlier in the month as I was in town on work and I was pleasantly surprised at a couple of things.

First of all, the room was very spacious and well set-up. The kitchen was excellent although I didn't really have a chance to use it since I was pretty much at work for most of my stay. I was pretty happy with the hot breakfast selection and location-wise it was pretty decent for me.

My one complaint is that on the Saturday, they had a serious shortage of housekeeping staff and so when I did get back to my room late at night, it hadn't been cleaned. This didn't bother me that much since I was traveling alone and kept pretty clean but it certainly would bug me if I was here with young kids. I just wish they had offered something like extra Marriott Reward points to make up for this but certainly a minor point.

Overall, an excellent place to stay and I am sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Great hotel with large rooms with full kitchen. Bathroom products were nice. Kitchen was stocked with dishes and utensils. Lobby is tiny and a nice warm and cold breakfast is served in the bar next to the lobby. My only thing that upset me was a vanilla scented candle that was burning on the check in desk at the lobby. For those who are scent-sensitive, it's a turn off. I don`t know if that's a chain thing or just a front desk clerk decision. It won`t stop me from staying here again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 2nd floor and could here the buses rumbling at the garage next door. Perhaps a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This was our first time at this facility. We had read previous reviews before booking and had some trepidation given that there were a few evaluations concerned with noise. But we figured this is a newer Sudbury business, there will be kinks to work out, and overall the reviews were good. Excellent location: one of the first hotels you will see as you enter town from the east on Highway 11. Very courteous desk service for the check-in. Although we were about 1.5 hours earlier than standard check-in they were kind enough to offer us access to our room immediately. Very pleasant room, with all suite amenities (kitchennette, full fridge, microwave, countertop heating element), thus perfect for a family outing. We were three adults.

One thing though for you to keep in mind and I have not seen it anywhere in other reviews. Before I went to bed I made my way to the washroom only to find that the power was off. At the sink area by the washroom entrance there was also no power. When I made my way to the main entrance there was also no light power there but yet there was power to all the appliances, the TV, the desk radio, the lamp between the beds. I noted that an electrical panel was partially opened right by the washroom so I thought this might be a regular occurence. From looking at it briefly (I am not electrically inclined) I spotted that none of the breakers were tripped. I did not wish to call housekeeping since the two others were already sound asleep. So I simply closed everything off. A short while later I heard my wife use the washroom. Due to not being able to turn the light on she came out, went to the room entrance hall, and flicked a switch which provided power to all of the non-functionning circuits. Go figure! A MASTER SWITCH is located right by the closet. She took great pleasure informing me in the morning that she had noticed it the day before and determined what this light switch actually. Why this type of arrangement is in place I would never know! The moral of this story is simple: ask your wife if you have a question, preferrably not at midnight though!

The entrance way was rather disgusting though, peppered with cigarette butts, however the whole facility was super clean, breakfast was good with a decent variety of foods (although the hot stuff was not always the best), internet access was great, and we did not find the hotel noisy at all (and we were on the highway side). Location, if you are there for shopping, is excellent. We shall return...and I will not ever again play with the MAIN SWITCH...promise!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were here for a swim meet. The staff accomadated our requests. It was clean and spacious. Bar is a nice place for parents after bed time. The only negative is the limited choice at breakfast. Once they run out they don't seem to replace it.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Stayed one night here on a weekend night. Check-in took a little longer because we are Platinum and for some reason our reservation kept generating prompts. It was difficult to hear the young woman at the Check-in desk because of the diminutive hockey players and their parents in the lobby area which is extremely close. No space is wasted in the entrance. Once through the door you are almost right at the front desk so any lobby activity seems intrusive. Information regarding the amenities available were provided to us and that was it we were on the way up to our room.

I have to admit that I was thinking the presence of multiple hockey teams might make this a sleepless night, as well as the fact that we were facing the main road, but the rooms were insulated enough that it muffled the hall running after 11 pm. which surprised but pleased me. I was very very tired after a long day of travel and hated to think I was developing an 'old grumpy person' mentality.

There was a variety of hot and cold offerings for breakfast which was located just off the lobby in the on site restaurant. It also seemed a little crowded when there were 4 people trying to access the buffet at the same time because they had many tables in place to accommodate clientele. Sausages, french toast, yogurt, package oatmeal, toast, and fruit were available, as well as coffee and tea. Good start to the day.

The rooms were fine and contained a full-size refrigerator, 2 cooking elements, and kitchen sink. The bed was comfortable and the sofa bed was good.Internet was adequate and there was a writing desk/designated working area for plugging in if you didn't have wi-fi capability. It would be a good place for long term stays or those looking to save money from eating out. There are malls located within driving distance (Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Chapters, Home Sense). You are approximately 10 minutes by car from the downtown area of Sudbury.

Now, they did have a water slide and cool play area for kids, alas, mine are all grown up, but this place is very kid friendly so if you have little ones, this is the place for you. We weren't at the hotel long enough to use the fitness area but we did note on passing that it had higher end cardio machines.

I would stay here again but must admit I prefer the Fairfield which is located fairly close to this hotel. If my kids were younger this would be my preferred hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed there last night (March 10th, 2013) for a business trip.
The staff are extremely friendly and accomodating, and demonstrate at all times that they value your business!!
The rooms are perfect, there is a work station, a mini kitchen and anything else you may need to feel at home.
I arrived earlier than expected and even took an afternoon nap as it was very quiet, the bed is very comfortable and conducive to sleep.
I book here anytime I am in Sudbury!!!
Anyone looking for a place away from home should book here :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business