“An okay place if you're just passing through”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“An okay place if you're just passing through”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I were traveling through Canada with our kids (9 and 7) and just needed a place to rest as we passed through. We didn't want to spend a ton of money since we were just passing through Sudbury. I booked a room at the Fireside Imperial with Expedia. They booked for the wrong night -- the night before. Off to a lousy start. The evening we were coming into Sudbury, my husband called the Fireside Imperial to let them know we would be arriving very late (like, midnight). The woman (manager or owner's wife, I think?) said she had waited up until midnight the night before for us to arrive and we never came. I'll have to take that mistake up with Expedia (good grief!). I felt horrible that she waited up for us and we never showed. But she said not a problem, that they could accommodate us. We arrived around 11:30 p.m. at the Imperial Fireside, and woke up the couple who run the place. He said he was sending us to the Sudbury Inn, one of their other properties nearly next door. We were thankful that they were willing to take care of us, despite Expedia's mistake.

The room was okay. Nothing to write home about. It's a very old property, but our room seemed to be clean. We were tired and just needed 8 hours of rest. As my husband said, "It's everything you need -- a clean room with decent beds."

Breakfast the following morning was a little lacking. It was a bit of a struggle -- out of milk, out of juice, out of syrup. The kids shared a paper plate until the man behind the desk finally refilled them.

The neighborhood isn't spectacular. I hesitate to say "rough," but it's certainly blue collar.

We were thankful that the manager and his wife were willing to work with us despite the Expedia mistake. But if you're looking for a nicer neighborhood, this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank roadlesstraveled76
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Valued Customer, we are very much regret and shocked to write down that you are not happy with our hospitality and management. We are here to say something to make more crystal clear of way of doing business and care for our customer.

1, You booked a wrong date reservation for a day before of your arrival and it was written Smoking Room in your reservation, We charged for your reservation date and could not show up and we are authorised to charge as per the reservation policy.

2, Then a day after you called and told us that did wrong reservation and you guys are coming today and we did GREAT FAVOR by assuring that we do can accommodate (without charging any more for Room) as you want Smoking room and then you told us that you want Non Smoking room which we don’t have at that night @ our other property where you reserved a room with TWO BEDS – Smoking and we don’t have Morning Continental Breakfast @ that property.

3, when we moved you @ Sudbury Inn Motel offered you FREE Breakfast without any EXTRA cost in addition to Our Premium Room (Non-Smoking).

By the way, we were not expecting what you have written in your review under such a great favorable circumstances what we did for you.

We proud to own this property and we care to offer better hospitality.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I booked my room at this hotel for my self and 2 travel buddies (1 room with 3 separate beds) directly over the phone and receiving a confirmation # from the reservation agent 3 days before leaving for our road trip. The night before our arrival in Sudbury I received a call from the manager stating that the room is no longer available and they would need to move us to their sister hotel next door - "Whaaat?" I have a confirmation # and my VISA to hold it?

* This is where it gets SCAMMY! It turns out that the family that owns this hotel also owns the "Sudbury Fireside Imperial Inn" next door which is a super old motel with outdated fixtures and furniture - just Slummy

The manager offers us a room in that hotel with 2 beds and a pull out to compensate for the "mix-up" for no extra charge. Oh Really? Going from a room with 3 full beds at a somewhat renovated hotel to a crumby hotel with 2 beds and a pull out at no extra charge - WOW!!!

They now have my VISA and I cannot cancel the "reservation" because I am inside the 24 hours before we were to arrive at the hotel where they didn't book the room anyway????

Here is what my buddies and I figured happened. We booked one night for the 3 bed room and then the hotel gets someone who wants that room (they only have one) and will take it for 2 or 3 nights $$$. We get bumped to the crappy hotel and they give our room to the roadworkers that were in it.

Needless to say - we had a CRUMBY sleep and I was the one who got stuck on a pull out bed in a room directly above the main office that stunk of smoke and old chinese food.

STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Go to the other side of Sudbury - these people are SCAMMERS
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jay W
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Valued Customer, we are very much regret to write down that you are not happy with our hospitality and management. We are very sorry about that but we also like to draw your kind attention towards the whole situation mentioned as under;

A day (24 hours) before, we called you to make you familiar about the three beds room and your reservation of the same and left voice message (as we informed a room you booked is not available due to under some circumstances and @ that time you have right to cancel the room without any charges – which you could not..).

On the day of your reservation you called and we again told you the same story about your booked room and moving to another property of room with couch, YOU AGREED FOR THAT TRANSFER..

When you guys come to check in, first thing you did asked to check room and we SHOWED you room and then you checked inn, at this moment you can also refuse to check in with the same reasons you mentioned later in your review..

WHAT THE WAY YOU TRIED TO ANALYSE SOME ONE IS SOMETHING I CAN SAY BETTER FIRST WE SEE OURSELVES IN A MIRROR AND THEN POINTING SOMEONE, WHICH IS STILL NOT WORTH TO DO.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was a bit apprehensive after reading all the negative reviews. But took a chance with them...and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were huge! Reasonably well kept. And for the price of under 100$ a night, it was a steal!

I think if you want top class accommodation you should shell out thrice the amount and try the brand names. If you like me wanted to save some money to spend on the trip/restaurants and merely needed somewhere to sleep; this is an absolute delight.

A NOTE OF WARNING: I reserved my hotel via Sudbury tourism website (since I wanted to see Science North too). If you do that too make sure the hotel has received the PAYMENT and not only BOOKING information. It seems Sudbury Tourism and Sudbury Inn have some communication issues. Since even though I had paid full amount a month back to Subdury Tourism the hotel did not honor the payment and asked me to pay to be let in. They had information of my booking but no payment. I had no choice with whole family with me and it being Sunday. The reception at hotel was not too helpful either (they didn't even have information about Sudbury Tourism). This trouble was sorted right away next morning when I called Sudbury tourism and they refunded me the hotel portion of the payment. They explained the hotel is responsible to reach out to them and invoice the hotel amount (with Sudbury aparently didnt) and they will issue payment to them. I don't care whose fault it was, I just didn't want the drama and worry. (Plus shelling out LongDistance/Roaming charges on my phone to call Sudbury tourism).

Room Tip: Choose one with view of the Nickel at Dynamic earth (Room at the building at the end). They have mor...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Looks like a school hallway in the hallways, but the room are spacious and the beds are comfortable. AC works great and the bathrooms were clean and stocked with all our needs. Only problem is the lack of unused power plugs (only one that wasn't being used by either the fridge, AC, lights or tv).

• Stayed August 2013
Picton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you are not looking for a fancy place to stay and just need a place to lay your head and a quick breakfast, this hotel was fine. The rooms have been renovated and are clean and nicely appointed. Beds were comfortable. Some work still required in the bathrooms - a hook and a shelf to place toiletries on would be nice. Also, the hot water was a little iffy. Breakfast was typical. Service was polite and friendly. Had a surprise when lifted the blind and saw the big nickel on the hill behind the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
New Liskeard, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

On check-in, I had to repeat over and over to slow down the speed of their speech as their accent was thick and virtually illegible. The directions to the room were misunderstood because of this and we had to return to the desk twice and I said, "SEND SOMEONE WITH US. I TOLD you, I'm tired and very ill and need to lay down. They were generally polite but didn't follow my requests very well. The hallways in the back section where we stayed were filthy, not mopped, looked like there was piss and puke in the stairway and had an odor. The garbage can was jammed inside and outside. The room was much better and was clean and had four nice big pillows per bed. It stayed quiet throughout the night and the bed was comfortable. Service was fair overall.

Room Tip: Don't judge the rooms by the state of the hallways or you'll be leaving pronto. There are be...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Sudbury in and were pleased with the room. It had a flatscreen TV and the room was nice and clean. However, the bathroom was old. I believe it would better the motel if they decided on renovating them. That was our only issue there. We still recommend coming here for it gave us a nice rest.

• Stayed June 2013