“Misleading Description of Property”

Residence & Conference Center - Sudbury North
Residence & Conference Center - Sudbury North
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Hayward, Wisconsin, United States
“Misleading Description of Property”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Wow. I can't begin to explain the disappointment with this place. The original description we were sent of the facilities was: "100 Suites, A/C, Free Parking, Elevator, Public Transportation available. Kitchen, Living Room and 2 bedrooms with a double bed in each bedroom." My reservation confirmation reads: "We are pleased to have you staying with us at Cambrian College Residence & Conference Centre. The room is a suite style accommodation with two bedrooms (a double bed in each room, a kitchenette and a 3 piece washroom." Does everyone have a picture in their mind of what you would be expecting??? Now, take out the word "suites" and "living room". "Residence and Conference Centre" brings a whole different picture to my mind than the reality of this horrible place. Yes, it's only $65 a night, but I didn't know what that gets you in Canada. Now I know. I believed what they advertised, plain and simple. I thought it was a good deal and a great price. The reality was that it was not a good deal. My husband and I flew to Toronto from Minnesota. We drove 4 1/2 hours to Sudbury to end up in this dorm room with no television, phone, kitchen with utensils or plates, and uncomfortable beds. I have never seen such a tiny bar of soap! Yes, even in Canada, you get what you pay for! Never mind what you were promised. On the positive side....it is relatively clean, the A/C works well and the parking and WiFi are free. But, had there been an accurate description of this place being a barren dorm room, I would have dropped the extra $35 a night to stay at a reputable hotel without the false advertising. The "living room" is a little kitchenette with a kitchen table seating 2.

Room Tip: Just stay away!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy C
Darryl D, Manager at Residence & Conference Center - Sudbury North, responded to this review, 11 May 2015
Hello Judy,

First I would like to thank you for the review on our Facility, all guest feedback is definitely taken in consideration. As the sales manager of the Residence I do not feel that I have misadvertised the Residence, All pictures of our rooms are on the website and are definitelnot misleading. I will although apologise if it was misleading to you.

Darryl Deschenes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at the Cambrian Residence and Conference Center in Sudbury Ontario Canada, checking in on Friday June 27th and checking out on Monday June 30th, 2014. The room is actually two seperate bedrooms, a kitchen area (including full size fridge, microwave and sink) and a bath. Our rooms were extreamly clean. They are simple and basic but comfortable and spacious. You need to bring your own utensils and paper plates. Air conditioning was nice and cool even though it was so hot outside. There is not an ice machine in the residence but it's really not an issue as there are numerous plazas with every store you should need for supplies including ice. Also most of the rooms do not have TV's but they are equipped with cable to bring your own, but you will need to bring your own cable. They do have free Wifi and it worked very well.
We had read on some of the web sites that they charge for parking but upon check in they will give you a pass so you do not need to pay, just display the ticket.
Continental breakfast was included and it certainly had everything you needed. Bagels, english muffins, jams and jellies and cream cheese, ceral and juice. It is served for 3 hours in the morning so lots of time to grab a bite to eat.
The staff was very friendly and informative. Shane at check in was helpful and had all the information we needed.
Although it is not a luxury property it is a great value for your money. The company owns other residences throughout Canada, so once you have tried one I'm sure you will be looking to see if they have another one where you might be travelling. If I had any complaint is that the beds are not the most comfortable, but for the money you pay I can certainly live with that.
It's a great alternative to expensive hotels especially for families.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eric K
Hello Erik,

I would like to start by thanking you for the fantastic review you had written about our facility, we thrive on cleanliness and customer service and we like to heear that you received both.

Hope we can accommodate you again soon,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is a great place to stay. The rooms are spacious, and clean, and its great if you're traveling with kids, the bathroom was the cleanest bathroom among all the hotels I hade stayed in. The breakfast was yummy and nutritious. Although there was no TV in the room and no hair dryer, I would suggest to bring your own, and there is free wifi. I would come here again if I even come back to sudbury.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Sparkly3spirits
Dear Sparkly3spirits,

I would like to start by thanking you for the wonderful review you had posted regarding our residence, we do pride ourselves on offering the cleanest rooms and to provide excellent customer service.
we appreciate the fact that you received both and reviewed our Facility.