“Great restaurant!”

Travelway Inn Sudbury
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location and really affordable. The staff was also really nice. As a bonus there is a hidden gem of a restaurant called curious thyme's bistro - it's DELICIOUS (there is even high tea!) We stayed here for 2 nights. Also it's directly across the street from Science North.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Upon arrival we noticed that the plumbing was noisy and we could hear every flush or running of taps and showers.
Next thing we noticed was that the beds were small in width and length. I am 5' 11 and barely fit on the bed.
It had a good location, close to Science North.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I left this hotel today having spent two nights there as a participant in the Sudbury Rocks Marathon. My room was fine and I had no issues whatsoever. The rooms, however, do not make for the exceptional experience -- that is the result of the uniformly pleasant, friendly and genuinely helpful staff -- none of whom pretend to the "attitude" that some hotel employees (acting as if they owned not the hotel but the chain) demonstrate. In particular, Sandra at the front desk made my day and my stay today: I had a late check-out because of the race, but arrived at 12:59 p.m., one minute before the end of my grace period. Thanks to Sandra's extremely friendly service, I managed a very refreshing shower and was on the road to Toronto 30 minutes later -- much the better for her consideration -- an recognizing that any of her colleagues might have been equally accommodating.

Last point: I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant and will make a point of going there when next in that area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We enjoyed the pauza room very much, like being at home with a fireplace and large screen LCD TV! Our rooms were comfortable, exactly what we paid for, coffee was generous portions in the room, and the breakfast supplied for $5 was the best deal in town. I used the business center and was veryu pleased at the quality of the site and the functionality it provided me. What a great place!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2010

On the last night of a week long train trip across Canada my wife had a Gallbladder attack. The train came to a stop in the middle of nowhere at 1am. After packing up all of my bellongings, (while my wife waited outside in an ambulance) we departed for the hospital. I asked the ambulance driver (Where the Hell are we?) He replied you are going to be in a town call Sudbury, Ontario. After a 9 hour trip to the hospital my wife and I walked out the front door of the Sudbury Regional Hospital, exhausted! The last night on our beloved VIA train that went through the Canadian Rockies from Vancouver, BC to Toronto was cut short. From a reccomendation from the doctor we walked directly across the street to a small Motel named "Travelway Inn". The doctor told us that the inn was clean and had the best restaurant in town! We checked with the front desk clerk on a rate. I was taken aback slightly when she quoted us $120.00 for one night. Our original plan was to stay at the Hilton in downtown Toronta where my corporate rate was $79/night. We reluctantly agreed with the price and proceeded with check-in. The woman who checked us in was extremely nice (we found most Canadians were) but informed us that our room wouldn't be ready untill 2pm (it was 11am). Considering we had been up for over 24 hours and my Wife had a painfull gallbladder attack earlier, we were extremely dissapointed. The young woman did offer to take our bags and called us a cab so we could go to the nearest pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. She was so helpfull and nice we couldn't help but accept the fact that we couldn't check in untill 2pm. After we returned from the pharmacy we had lunch at the hotel restaurant "Curious Thymes". WOW!!!!!! Is all I can say! This little restaurant in this little hotel in little Sudbury, Ontario BLEW US AWAY!!! The service and food was EXCELLENT! We enjoyed the meal so much that I was ready to come back for dinner before lunch was over! After lunch it was finally time to check-in. We were given a room on the 1st floor (as requested) it was clean, well appointed with a refrigerator. We also enjoyed the small extras like 2 "Wingback" style chairs that reclined and had built in foot rests, to watch tv or read. The entire staff seems to be extremely friendly. There was a young man who we saw several times during our stay, who was vacuuming, mopping etc, would always stop, make eye contact and genuinely ask if he could help us with anything. Small things like that really made us feel welcome. Breakfast the next morning was again AMAZING! I really feel like we found a Gem in the town of Sudbury. I doubt our travels will ever take us back, but we really appreciate the attention the staff gave us. Now as for Curious Thymes, that might actually be worth a trip back to Sudbury, especially if we can stay at the Travelway Inn while we wait for the next meal! :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeTRB
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Best location in Sudbury for visiting Science North. I've stayed here with young children in 2006 and chose it again in 2010. You can stay parked at the hotel and avoid paying parking at Science North, just a walk across the road. There's a maximum of 4 to a room -- the beds are double not queen. It's acceptably clean, inexpensive, and in a safe location near medical centres. Very easy to access from the south -- go up Hwy 400/69 and turn right at Paris Street. Water pipes are very noisy and noise travels from hallway and adjascent highway, but it was quiet enough overnight. Consider bringing your own shampoos and cozy blankie to supplement your comfort.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2010

In town for a business trip, this hotel was recommended to us by colleagues given its proximity close to our meeting location. There was nothing inherently wrong with the hotel, but by the same token, nothing terribly remarkable.

The hotel is showing its age, i.e. a lot of wear and tear. Furniture in the lobby is somewhat threadbare and showing damage, knicks in the woods, scratches, etc. Furnishings, fittings and colour scheme are quite date. However, on a positive note the hotel is reasonably clean.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced room in a hotel with few amenities this would do the trick. My room was a good size, quite clean, fresh sheets and comfortable bed. Cable TV had a lot of stations. Television quality was good, though a dated CRT, not plasma/LCD. In room amenities - ironing board, iron, bar fridge, coffee maker. Free wireless was a good bonus.

One area of the hotel I was very impressed with is the restaurant. Curious Thyme Bistro, an independent restaurant located off the hotel lobby, provided an excellent dinner. Interestingly, their menu was heavily influenced with game meats. My red deer medallions were perfectly prepared with a curried blueberry sauce. I would highly recommend this restaurant, as would my dining companions.

Summary - if you are looking for a basic hotel offering good value, this one would do the trick.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business