“MUST READ”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Kirkland Lake, Canada
“MUST READ”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel is great. Yes it's older but the cleanliness,staff and location make up for nothing that needs to be changed..I have been staying her every week for the last 52 weeks for my son to receive chemotherapy and I can't say enough about this place..the price is right and the amenities are great..for someone passing through and need a place to rest your head, this is where you want to stay in the city..I have stayed at all of them in Sudbury and this is by far the best for comfort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ginette B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

It's an alright hotel.

The good: good location. Very close to Science North (which is definitely worth the trip, regardless of your age), and a short drive to lots of other Sudbury hotspots.

The bad: no elevator. You have to drag your bags up 2 flights of stairs. No offer of help from staff either.

It's an average hotel. Still better than the one other place I've stayed in Sudbury, nothing to write home about.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here two night while my dad was in the hospital. Nice and convenient, free parking and can walk to the hospital. Room was clean, comfortable. Free breakfast was a huge plus. Business centre was great, able to print off needed documents free. Staff was friendly. Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
ESPANOLA
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Wanted somewhere to spend the night by the hospital. Place was clean and comfortable. Could walk to hospital. Enjoyed 2 Km boardwalk arond the lake. good expierence. Stayed on ground floor east side toward hospital. Staff are friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The staff are friendly, but the rooms are tired. Don't be misled by the new brick facade or the pseudo-modern fireplace in the lobby. If you have no particular business to be here (wedding, hospital access), don't do it. I ended up regretting staying at this hotel immensely.

The sound of running water from adjoining rooms was quite loud, the air was terrible and stale with poor circulation, and the whole place lingered with musty cigarette smoke that even for a smoker was off-putting. There were several wedding parties booked in, so I didn't pay much mind to the constant noise in the hallway until 1:30 am. Unfortunately, someone at the front desk told a new arrival that my room was theirs, and at 1 a.m. I was met with quite a racket by an insistent and confused guest. I think they had absentmindedly given us a room that had been set aside for the wedding party, but the scare wasn't appreciated, and I've never seen disorganization quite like it.

The beds were old and really uncomfortable and cleanliness in the room was lacking. The tub needed a good scrubbing (the permanent anti-slip tub mat was marred with pink algae), the towels were visibly worn, and the fridge had old, sticky pop stains all inside the door. You could see a cake of dust in corners visible but harder to reach. I'm not usually bothered by things that are dated, or more basic. I had been traveling for a week by this point and had stayed in several much more "ghetto" motels along highways, and in rustic cabins, and this place was the worst cared for, hands down. Yes, it was a busy Fri night, but you can't help but wonder what others corners were cut.

Yup, there's a breakfast: bagels,cereal, activia yogurt (the highlight of my entire hotel experience), juices, fruit; just don't eat anything they cook (bacon and eggs really).
Yes, it's right next door to Science North, which is why I chose it in the first place: I could just walk over and not pay for parking. Well, parking is only 5 dollars, so drive there instead.

The Science North grounds and the boardwalk along Ramsey Lake were lovely, and I'm glad I got to experience that. There's a yacht club right next to the Science North entrance that allows public access to a beach (middle path) and a parking lot (right hand path) when you walk/drive down the main entrance. The left hand path takes to you to the actual yacht club. It was a lovely walk and sunset. So the best thing about this hotel isn't actually about this hotel.

Less significant things: bare bones for the price ($140 bucks and nothing like a fitness centre, or a hot tub?), crappy old 27" tv, well, in the room at least, crappy old everything.

So there you have it. I did tell the front desk staff about the dirty tub and the fridge, and that I didn't appreciate the 1 a.m. room mix-up misadventure. Hope they appreciate the good staff they have and help the cleaning staff get the resources they need to get the job done right. This is no one's fault but the management. There were plenty of other hotels nearby, so with the right planning, you can avoid this whole mess.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ottawa
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel about 7 years ago and thought 'what a gem': great service, excellent restaurant and great location. NOW the only great thing was the location, well and friendly staff.

The first room I got was facing the street, with fixed windows and dull smoky smell inside, so I went to request a new room, the staff at front desk was friendly and found me a room on the court side, with windows I could open ( the room had a dull smell when I first entered, I wish the staff would air the rooms out or turn on the AC on the days when they expect guests for the room.

To my great disappointment, the restaurant was no longer there. The hotel serves a generic breakfast (good coffee!!)

The bedding was tired, one night the sheets felt worn and old, one morning the towel was old and torn. But they were clean

One day the cleaners didn't give a spare roll if toilet paper, so I had to run to the reception to get more.

The plus is still the location - next to Science North and easy access to the Lake Ramsey board walk

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
ontario
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This hotel is next door to the hospital and across from Science North. Reception was friendly. The room on the second floor was clean and okay, although a few things are starting to show the wear such as tarnished sink taps and chip in vanity and tub. There was an additional vanity sink outside the bathroom which would be great for extra people to use. The beds are firm and we both woke up to sore backs. Breakfast included cold hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon usual bread and such items. It is a very busy place and would be good if you needed to visit the hospital. However, it is a 2 floor hotel with NO elevator.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family