“Another Enjoyable Day Hiking on the Sleeping Giant”

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
Ranked #2 of 69 things to do in Thunder Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on a rugged peninsula of thick forests, several lakes, and high granite cliffs, this scenic wonderland offers nature walks, camping and fishing activities.
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We first visited the park last year and spent the day exploring hiking trails (Joeboy, Wildlife & drove to TB Lookout site). We're not skilled hikers but enjoy the outdoors spending time with nature.

The visitor's centre is very well done and informative. The trails are reasonably well marked if you keep an eye out for the small signs along the way.

This year we enjoyed the Sea Lion trail, which although not a groomed trail, is easy with a few moderate climbs up rocky "hills". The view is definitely worth it, as is the beautiful smooth stone beach on the side trails before you reach the Sea Lion.

Next year we're looking forward to the cemetery trail and possibly some more challenging trails.

A drive through Silver Islet community is a must!

The $14 day pass (per car) is worth every cent for all this park has to offer!

2  Thank Ashla
"nice campground"
in 8 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 12 reviews
"flush toilets and showers"
in 4 reviews
in 7 reviews
"long drive"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We live in TBay and went out a couple of Sunday's ago to explore the park. I had done some internet research at the park's site. There are several trails in absolutely beautiful surroundings. I expect some of them would have steep hills, etc based on our exploring in the minivan, but it looks like a great place to go. We explored the campground and went to the lookout on our $14 day pass. The camp grounds are very inviting and they have cabins and travel trailer equipped sites. The girls, who weren't that excited about a trip to the park now want to camp there! We are considering that later this month.

The road to the lookout is well marked and is north of the offices near the campground. It is nine kilometers (~5.5 miles) from the main road. It is a narrow gravel road that ends on bedrock for the last 150 yards. The lookout platform extends 100 m (110 yards) above the rock talus slope below and affords a magnificent view across the bay. The day we were there was misty, so we couldn’t see the city very well but the experience was still awesome. If you are staying in the campground, the Kubatan trail will take you to the lookout. I believe that stretch of it is about 5 km (3 miles) one way.

This park provides excellent opportunities for recreation with fishing, kayaking (for rent if you don’t have one), excellent hiking and a clean lake with a good beach for swimming. The store has many local crafts and basic supplies but I did not see any food staples so stock up before you come. It is located in the building that houses the park museum.

I would recommend this park for day use or for camping. It is about 30 minutes off the Trans Canada highway, east of Thunder Bay.

2  Thank mannycanuck
Reviewed 4 August 2014

So, I'm an Ontarian, and I live in Thunder Bay. I went to Sleeping Giant today to take my dog for a walk for a couple hours. I had to pay the "day use fee" ... which now amounts to $14. Two years ago, what was then a $10 fee was enough for a few hours, but the increase to $14 seems excessive, especially given that I just returned from Oregon where I could get a 5 day access pass to all Federal and State Parks and Forests for $10. And that's unlimited access, for 5 days ... To everything. And Ontario wants to ding me for $14 for a few hours ... And I live here ... How appalling ... And pathetic ...and the government wonders why people don't stay at home and visit the beauty of Ontario anymore? Take a look at the cost? The average Ontarian can't afford it any more. Add in the cost of gas, sales tax, accommodation etc and it is much cheaper to travel in the U S ... Even with exchange. Time for this Country to wise up!

3  Thank R K
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Not everybody likes camping - but you don't have to, you can go in and get a day pass and visit the spectacular overlook to the city of Thunder Bay. I have been there in both rain and shine and both have their charms.
If you are a camper, you will find an excellent set of amenities, good hiking options and opportunities to see nature close up - sometimes on the highway in.
Take the time to visit Silver Islet and wonder how those miners wrestled with an enormous lake more than a century ago.