“Great Place”

Best Western Thunder Bay Crossroads
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed 2 July 2014

As before, this continues to be my go to hotel in Thunder Bay. I have yet to be dissatisfied with the service. Staff are very friendly, professional and helpful. Internet stays very steady with a fairly quick download speed for basic surfing. Rooms are comfortable, nice bedding and the furniture doesn't give me a sore back as happens in many places I go. Bathrooms are clean and well appointed. The breakfast room is fairly spacious and the food layout is closely watched to ensure there are no issues with missing food items. With an elevator to assist moving luggage, lots of nearby restaurants of varying tastes and other amenities, this is a great place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Stuarttbay, General Manager at Best Western Thunder Bay Crossroads, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

It is great to see our regular guests. Thank you for your continued business, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I booked 4 nights to attend the wedding of some friends and do some other visiting. The reception was across the street at Naxos (very nice) so I wanted to stay close. A couple of other places close by have gone way down hill from what they used to be and reviews for this place were good, so I thought I'd give it a try. I got a business room for wired internet, fridge/microwave, couch table and desk to make things more homey and allow me to get se work done. I was impresses by the very warm and friendly welcome, including adjustment to a better rate I qualified for. My stay was quiet and restful, breakfast was WAY better than expected (better than plain old continental). I'm very impressed and would very likely stay again. Very clean and comfortable.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay L
Stuarttbay, General Manager at Best Western Thunder Bay Crossroads, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for the nice comments. I am glad we were able to serve your needs.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Very clean and comfy. Nice, updated room decor, good breakfast selection. Free parking, no issue parking with our trailer. Convenient location, close to the highway, shopping and restaurants.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Stuarttbay, General Manager at Best Western Thunder Bay Crossroads, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived without a reservation due to lack of data and cell connection. Therefore it was with with some relief, after being on the road for ten+ hours to be informed there were rooms available. Although this BW is not a Plus or a Premier the attitude of the evening clerk and the morning clerk reminded me of snooty Paris clerks depicted in movies - we were not welcome (once again the prejudice towards guests not having a credit card). I offered to pay a substantial deposit, they settled on a lower amount but made a great issue as to how difficult it was to make a credit on a debit machine. Poppycock!
I was extremely tired and had no intention of going elsewhere. The internet was so slow we gave up trying to get online for that night. The room was serviceable but nothing overwhelming. I had to request a room not on the first floor as we were three women travelling and it was a relatively busy area. The clerk had at first put us on the first floor.
As usual with BW breakfast it was alright other than the eggs. (I thought I should at least try them).
When I checked out in the morning a great deal was made about crediting my debit - they finally gave me cash. The absolute worse incident was when I was told by one of the morning clerks that I did not have to choose to be a guest at their establishment if I was unwilling to use a credit card. I was absolutely insulted especially how many BWs I had already stayed at and was planning to stay with on my way home. Despicable attitude. Staff must learn how to determine trustworthiness of guests, not make them feel unwelcome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It is difficult to set a policy that is fair to all guests. Due to some bad experiences in the past the owners have decided to go with a credit card only policy ( in addition to some pre-arranged direct billing). Damages caused by the few cash customers cause unrecoverable expenses for the hotel, and ultimately increased rates to our guests. We do still give the clerk the ability to override the credit card requirement in lieu of a cash deposit. This cash deposit would still not cover all of the potential damages, and the clerk is taking a risk by overriding the policy. On those few occasions that we do allow a cash deposit. We must check the room prior to returning the money. In your case. they took a deposit on the debit machine. For some reason the NEW machine would not refund the amount ( since fixed) so we returned your money in cash.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Everything was good, the service was excellent but....
If your like me and use the internet in the evening, forget it.
It's slow during the day but useless in the evening.
I also have a personal peeve of air conditioning/heaters that don't regulate properly.
This room simply had a dial you set and the fan ran continuously.

1  Thank Joe J
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We basically stopped at the first hotel we saw, as it was late and we were all super tired. The check in was good with friendly staff and the room was nice and clean. Exactly what we needed. There was even a great fruit stand across the street where we picked up a bunch of great fruit for snacking on.

The only issue we ran into was a man and women approaching my wife in the parking lot asking for Money and a ride. I know this isn't the fault of the hotel but it was somewhat disconcerting for my wife.

Great hotel, great value. Close to many stores and the airport.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

value for money, awesome stay, my family enjoyed their stay, enjoyed breakfast need to give choice of chicken sausage for people who dont eat pork or beef, eggs are not enough. value for money. i have spent 3 nights in best western and it was awesome experience, couldn't get booking in regina so end up staying in days inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family