“Changed a lot - and for the better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Landmark Hotel

Landmark Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thunder Bay
Landmark Hotel
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Northern Ontario
“Changed a lot - and for the better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had stayed here previously and had not had a positive stay ( Like so many posters ) In Nov 2013, I had to stay here for a period of time, and in fairness, I had to leave this positive review. My room was on the ground floor at the back, with its own outside access to parking. The bathroom was small, but freshly remodelled and the room was clean. The food at the restaurant was great ( I especially recommend the chicken strips or crispy chicken burgers ) the breakfast being plentiful and good choices. The staff were very helpful, as I had to deal with them on a daily basis. On the downside, any noise from a neighbouring room travels through the walls, like it is in the room with you. Now all that said, there is room for improvement, but I believe they are moving in the right direction.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mary m, Public Relations Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Landmark Hotel on Tripadvisor.. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you have experienced, the guest accommodations are undergoing renovation. It is our hope that we are able to complete them in a timely manner and to minimize any guest impact. Our staff is always pleased to help our guests whether it be with meal recommendations, sight seeing or general inquiries. Our shuttle service is always something that we pride ourselves on delivering. Please continue to review us, we are pleased to learn from your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Marathon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I just stayed in this hotel for nearly a week while my husband had surgery. My room was very clean except for the bathroom ceiling which had mold and needed a good scrubbing. If I overlook the very outdated décor I was quite comfortable. You could always see someone in the hotel cleaning something. My dog stayed with me and he was made very welcome. there is no charge for your dog staying with you. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful... there is a nice area in the back with trails for walking your dog or just getting some exercise. the pool looked nice but I didn't have a chance to try it out. A great perk was the free shuttle to the hospital or any medical appointments you might have... this saves a lot of money on cabs or parking at the hospital... the shuttle drivers were all very nice and friendly. I felt safe with them driving me around even in bad weather. another great perk if you are staying for a while is the Walmart, grocery store and liquor store right next door... literally in the same parking lot. I ate a lot of my meals in the restaurant of the hotel and the food was excellent... no complaints at all there. The restaurant staff is very friendly and accommodating, especially my server Jody... There is also a bar in the hotel and it can get a bit loud at night, so ask for a room away from it. I was right next door to it... biggest complaint I have was the inconsiderate other guests who let their kids run around at all hours of the night in the halls making a lot of noise. finally had to say something at 2 am. A complaint I heard a few times from my friends trying to call me there was that nobody was answering the phone and I was not getting my messages until much later.

Room Tip: don't book a room by the Dragon's Den bar.. ask to be away from it as it can get a bit loud...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mary m, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank your for staying with the Landmark Hotel and allowing us to facilitate your needs while in Thunder Bay. Thank you for recognizing our staff for their hard work and dedication, it is much appreciated. At current, some of the rooms on the main floor are under renovation, and should be complete within the next few months. I am glad you were able to utilize the neighbouring businesses, they are truly convenient. I apologize on behalf of the other patrons, for the behavior of their children. I trust that your complaint was dealt with in a timely and satisfactory manner. Should you need to return to Thunder Bay I hope you will choose us once more.
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old, poorly maintained, dirty and in desperate need of a facelift. The carpets throughout are worn and dirty. The elevator was filthy and stunk of cigarette smoke. The room was dirty and I am not sure that the bedding was changed after the last customer. Our room was close to the elevator and the noise coming from that thing was unbelievable! I would never stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Mike570
mary m, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Landmark Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are in the process of renovating the guest rooms. This process is slow as we are trying to do it with as little impact on the day to day operations as possible. I would like to take this opportunity to express my apologies that you felt your guest accommodation was unsatisfactory.

Travellers are raving about these Thunder Bay hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I booked my daughters 6th birthday here and did the party package for $175. It included a poolside room overnight plus pizzas and drinks for 12 kids plus a huge delicious cake. Upon reading all the reviews I was very skeptical to stay the night but being from Thunder bay I had the option to leave for home after the party. I didn't need to. The room was clean and basic with two beds and a fridge (came in handy as my other child is on a bottle). The best part...it was a Friday eve on a long weekend and aside from two others we had the pool to ourselves. The pool is clean fun and perfect for little ones. I ordered a cpl pizzas for the adults and they were cheap and delish!! Very positive experience would do it again. No issues with drunks or smoke bums also didn't smell anyone smoking inside. I think the complainers are snobby cause there was nothing wrong with this place. Rooms could use some updating that's all. :) thanks for making my girls day super special

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank tbayfoodie
mary m, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for allowing the Landmark Hotel cater your daughters birthday. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy the birthday package that we offer. We are always pleased when our patrons are able take advantage of the family friendly atmosphere that we strive to provide to our guests. We welcome all input from this site. It helps us to serve you better
Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My sister and I stayed in this room for about 5 days and enjoyed our stay. We were visiting a third sister who was in hospital . The free shuttle service was a very nice added touch and all staff were very friendly and accomodating. I have no complaints at all with our room and any of the staff. The medical rate was also very much appreciated since this really was not a pleasure trip and helped to get the costs down and as I said the complimentary shuttle to and from the hospital was an added bonus. I would have no trouble staying at this inn again and in room 307.
If I had anything to complain about it would be the continental breakfast. It is nice to have but would have been nice to have less sugary treats. More scones or biscuits would be nice.

Room Tip: Room 307 was very nice, not a good view but, a very nice room. Clean and the beds were very comforta...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wendy w
Thank you for taking the time to review the Landmark Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are glad that we were able to facilitate you while you were required to be in Thunder Bay for medical needs. We are very aware of the financial burden that living in the north can be for people. This is why we take pride in being able to provide transportation to our guests free of charge to their medical appointments. Again we welcome all feedback from this site as your comments help us to provide better service to our clients
Thunder Bay, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Only stayed one night, there were people partying, the police were called there was broken glass in the hall and someone actually had the nerve to pee by the front lobby. Worst place I have ever stayed! Will never return. I would never bring my children here, and my wife and I changed hotels quickly the next morning, and my wife wouldn't use the shower because it looked unclean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ashleyseji
mary m, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Good Afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to respond to TripAdvisor. All reviews are valuable learning and growing tools for us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with the Landmark Inn was not favourable. Please accept our sincere apologies and kind regards.
Millbrook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I arrived very cold and wet on my motorcycle. The receptionist was sympathetic and tried to make the registration as quick as possible. The owner? / manager? was there and when I asked for a dryer for my sodden boots he assured me that he would personally deliver it which he did. The room was clean as was the bathroom. When the owner arrived he directed me to the hot tub to help me shake off the chills. They also made sure that i had a ground floor room so that I could park my motorcycle right outside my room. Very thoughtful. The pool was a good size and was well maintained.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It is unfortunate that hotels (not just this one) do not have rooms for single travellers. I do not...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve P
Thank you for your positive review for the Landmark Hotel. I am pleased to hear that your experience with us was a positive one. I am glad that our management and staff went above and beyond. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.