“Not so bad.”

Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
“Not so bad.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

After booking and reading reviews on this site - I had very low expectations for this hotel. However, I found that the front desk was helpful and kind. I also found that our particular room was clean and well-kept. The view of the Sleeping Giant from our window was great. The location, near the water, was walking distance to restaurants and very convenient for us. Yes, the building is definitely old and is in desperate need of updating. And I felt the nightly rate was higher than what it should have been. But overall, it was a decent & comfortable place to stay one night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lotzasmiles
Tony_S123, Manager at Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us, I am happy to read that your stay was enjoyable.
We hope to see you again.

Your's truly

Tony Scarcello

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dryden, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

A lot of leeway has been given to this ol' gal over the years because of her history, but unless the current owners invest some money into her she will be losing repeat clientele. We stayed
there recently because of the location - right across the street from Bluesfest. If not for that we would not have chosen the Prince Arthur. The nightly rate jumped from $90 to $135 for starters and we got the smallest room we've ever had. We were on the street side with bar noise continuing nightly until 3 a.m. Our window was drafty and leaked rain around the duct tape trimming the very noisy air conditioner. The TV was ancient with no guide, the towels were scant, small and scratchy, and the only ice machine was on the main floor. The shower is dangerous, switching between frigid blasts and scalding hot bursts of water without notice. The elevator broke down twice while we were there and we had no internet the entire time we were there. This was reported to hotel staff 3 times - they shrugged and nothing happened. There is no automatic door outside so good luck with getting your luggage rack in or out, or God forbid a wheelchair! Except for a good restaurant and great view of the harbor there is little to recommend the Prince Arthur anymore.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie M
Dear Guest

Thank you, for staying with us during your visit to Thunder Bay. We value your comments as it helps us improve our hotel and service.
Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable, friendly stay at a reasonable price.

Yours truly,

Travellers are raving about these Thunder Bay hotels

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Was there with a group of motorcyclists. Staff was very friendly and tried to make us welcome. Weather was damp and cold and had difficulty getting room warm. Found nearly empty pizza box in my closet, other then that room clean. Elevator was somewhat undersized for the building when people had multiple bags to bring to their rooms. However if you want to experience a vintage hotel this is the place for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johnpius
Tony_S123, Manager at Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest
II would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us during your visit to Thunder Bay. Your comments are important to us as it helps us improve.

I am happy to read that our staff where friendly and accommodating. As a vintage hotel (1911) we pride ourselves on providing our guests with clean, comfortable rooms at a reasonable rate. I do apologize for the pizza box that was left in the closet. That is unacceptable and will take action to ensure that it does not happen.
Our elevators are a little smaller then the newer elevators, but that is just one of many thing that makes us different from the rest.

We hope to see you and your group again in the future.
Ear Falls, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hotel was terrible. I have two small children (20 months and 4 months) and yes they go to bed early, but the noise in this hotel was something else. We waited and hoped the noise would calm down by 9pm, but instead the ppl next to us and their children were running up and down the hallways until 11pm, they were slamming doors, screaming, playing hide and seek, until 1am. They were even trying to open the joining door we have. My husband called the front desk and complained. They came upstairs and told ppl to quiet down. That was at 1030pm and this continued. I would never recommend this hotel. If you knew me you would know I never complain at hotels but this was ridiculous!!!

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Brynny24
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I am 20 years old, I called 2 weeks in advance of the date that I needed the room. When I called to book the room no one said anything about how old I needed to be to book a room. I can purchase a ticket to Australia and back, I can book a hotel room anywhere else in the world, but at the Prince Arthur hotel you have to be 21. No one told me over the phone. No one said anything. When I showed up on the day to book in lady at the front did nothing for me. She called her manager and he didn't do anything for me. They didn't even give us the cot for free. I would never stay here again

Stayed January 2014
5 Thank brynnmallory
Thunder Bay
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am sitting in this room right now, shocked and disappointed by the worst treatment I've ever experienced in all my years of travel, and this is in my own home town. My adult daughter and her friends booked this suite 2 weeks ago, as a finishing touch after their staff party tonight. When she came to confirm the room this afternoon, she was informed that she in fact, could not book it as she was not 21 years old. (She will be 21 in May) The woman at the front desk told her that there was a new policy and she needed to have the credit card of someone older than 21 to book the room. Fair enough. So I came down. I am 51 and my credit is very good. However, that was not enough. It seems the policy was even more specific - not only would I have to provide the credit card, but I would have to stay in the room with them. And not only that, the security deposit would be $300. I have stayed in New York, London, Sydney, Aukland, Monterey, San Diego, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, you name it. I have never once been charged a $300 security deposit. I asked to speak to the manager. I was refused. I asked why not. Apparently, the manager doesn't like to speak to his guests. Since I was now spending the night, I asked for an extra cot. I was charged $15 for this privilege. In all of this, not one apology. Not one "I'm terribly sorry for the confusion." Nothing.

If they indeed have a new policy that discriminates against young adults (and I say adults - all of the young women were 20. That is an adult in our country) then it should have been disclosed at the time of booking. If there was even a policy that the 'real adult' had to stay in the room, then that should have been mentioned at the time of booking or confirmation. It seemed very much like this was being made up 'on the fly' and I cannot think anything other than the fact that they didn't want the young women here.

Read the rest of my reviews. I don't review like this lightly. This is a very bad experience for these girls, and for myself. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone and in fact, I do hope it can be demolished and replaced by something newer and more modern. The walls are scraped, the wallpaper peeling, the furniture looks like a 'good deal' from Value Village. It is a disgrace to the Downtown core of Port Arthur and to the city of Thunder Bay itself.

It may be -25 outside, but it is far colder inside the Prince Arthur Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Timber9762
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Spend the extra money and stay at a nicer hotel. Everything is just subpar. Hallways smell musty. Rooms are musty. Bed sheets feel like I'm at a sleepover camp. Not a very relaxing stay. Bathroom has no shelf to put your toiletries on. Missing the bigger hotels cleanliness and layout.

• Stayed January 2014