“Close to airport, free shuttle”

Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I do stay here quite a bit for convenience. The rooms are very dated, the last room smelt like sickness!!! Front desk and shuttle people are delightful. Food in restaurant is good, reasonably priced. Free shuttle and parking, while away on a trip.

• Stayed: February 2014
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review, and for staying with us Rodbeth2008. We very much appreciate it. I am sorry for the smell in your room, if you call the hotel directly and ask for the GM I would very much like to find out more so we can look into the matter. I do agree that our location and shuttle make our hotel very convenient before a flight, and am very pleased your found our staff very friendly. Our restaurant has a great selection and affordable prices, however, we are looking at revising it before the summer to make it even better. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The staff are awesome. The facilities are old but they make it work. They were helpful with all our needs. I was especially appreciative of their help to get my printing from Staples across town. They drove me to the store to pick up the printing and brought me back. The General Manager to the front line staff were accommodating and helpful. A great experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your positive review CanadianCycleTravel, we very much appreciate it and your business. We take great pride in our customer service and am glad we exceeded your expectations. Our staff consistently goes the extra mile, and always takes steps to ensure our guests are well taken care of. Again, thank you for your review, and for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

After my experience with a previous ‘Historic Hotel’ in the city of Thunder Bay, I was hesitant to try another one for fear the experience might be repeated. I had heard that the Royal Residence Suite in the Airlane Hotel (Southward Thunder Bay) was a remarkable place and well, it was my husband’s birthday coming up, so I decided to give it a try.

The Airlane obviously has some history, given its exterior “Motel/Hotel” look, but once I stepped into the lobby, I was immediately impressed. They have embraced a very Northwest Company/Fur Trade look, with river-rock, birch trees and an eco-friendly natural vibe. The staff was very pleasant as we booked in and made us feel welcome. Our room was at the other end of the hotel and it was a bit of a walk to get there, although we could have driven around in the car to access it from the other side. There seems to be a gap in their renovations, as the updates to doors/hallways stopped and started along the route, and it was very easy to tell which halls were current and which were desperately in need of a reno. Low ceilings also date the building, but I think that could be alleviated by new carpeting, new doors and wallpaper.

The Royal Residence however was breathtaking, easily one of the loveliest rooms I’ve had the pleasure to stay in. It was a true suite, with king bed and ensuite on one side and a living room/dining room and luxury bath on the other. The décor was unique and in keeping with the ‘Higher End’ of the fur trade! The claw-foot tub was delightful, the king bed very comfy and I found myself wishing I could spend a little more time in the room. We’ll definitely be booking this room again - for an overnight getaway, it’s ideal.

The River Rock Bar and Grille is the Airlane’s dining room and it seemed to have been on the ‘missed’ end of the renovations. While the River Rock fireplace is nice, the chandeliers and wall fabric are very reminiscent of the ‘80s. This place could stand a new menu (perhaps something a little more in keeping with the local flair that they have captured elsewhere), new wall coverings and partitions for privacy (I could hear people chewing several tables away). Also, I’m a wine snob, so when my glass of Shiraz came in a small white wine glass, I was not impressed.

Regardless, if you can stay in one of the renovated rooms, I think you would have a great time at this hotel. It is so close to the airport, to shopping and other dining establishments in the south end of town, and if they can continue the work that has been started, the history of this place could really work in it’s favour. With the right touch, the Airlane could be THE place in Thunder Bay. It’s already halfway there.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the renovated rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you so much for the positive review Timber9762, we truly appreciate it and your business. We could not agree more; the Royal Residence is one of the nicest suites we offer and one of best in the City! We have a plan to paint all the hallways and the rest of the guestrooms between April to June, and also have plans to redo the carpet in the restaurant to brighten up our public spaces and freshen our guest rooms. I am very glad you gave us a chance for your husband's birthday, and am pleased that your experience was positive. I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We needed a hotel close to the airport, with an airport shuttle, to catch our early-morning flight out of Thunder Bay. Other hotels on the closest-to-the-airport intersection are a fair bit more expensive, so we picked this one. The room we were assigned was about as far from reception as can be, through somewhat confusing twisting corridors (the building is laid out in an unusual zig-zag configuration) but once you know where you're going the building design allows everyone to park close to their room and have a nearby outside entrance.

Our ground-floor room had a single king bed, 32" flat-panel TV, desk+chair, and a nice couch + coffee table to sit on rather than a second bed. It was -40C the night we were there but no complaints about the temperature of the room or the hotel in general.

Airport shuttle apparently runs more-or-less continuously during peak travel hours, but we checked out at 5:30am and they had no problem driving us to the airport at that time (it's less than a 5-minute drive).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JLB M
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you very much for posting a comment, and for your business, we truly appreciate it. We are very conveniently located, only minutes to the airport, and are pleased to offer free parking and airport shuttle pick ups and drop offs for all of our guests. We are an ideal hotel to stay before a trip South! I am glad that you found our prices reasonable, as we strive to be very competitively priced. Our rooms were updated about a year ago with new carpeting, beds, bedding, furniture and TVs and are also very tastefully decorated with new artwork. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Organized a conference for 50-70 people at the Hotel. From the start of the first call to make the arrangements to our last day at the Hotel - each and every staff were outstanding, helpful, and friendly. The food was also very good but thats must be because the Catering staff are great cooks.
Thanks for a great 3 days.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie B

Thank you very much for your time, business, and feedback Julie, we truly appreciate it. I was very pleased that you found the staff, service, and food to be great and will pass along the praise to the team. We take great pride in ensuring top level service and in making a conference run perfectly. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while visiting in the area. I got the impression that at one time this was "the hotel" in Thunder Bay, but no more. We were given an out of the way room which if I had been a woman on my own I would have not taken it. Very dingy stairwells, parking was in a very remote spot. The place is looking very tired and although the room was clean, the hallways etc. are not. Pool is good. Computer in the lobby for public use was ancient and barely usable. There is a good selection of hotels in Thunder Bay for the same or less $ and when visiting again I would not stay here nor recommend it.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, ask for a room that is not way out in the back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank emsdale

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback, and for your business. We appreciate your positive comments about the room cleanliness, and take pride in providing the cleanest rooms in Thunder Bay. We also appreciate the positive comments made about our swimming pool area, which is a huge hit with a whirlpool, steam room, sauna, and adjoining fitness centre. We will be replacing the hallway wallpaper and painting the door trims this year to brighten up our hallways. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Good motel...good service yet it is on the flight line of the airport and there was no soap or shampoo in the room. I would stay here again yet not for a long time due the airport notice. It is only 3 minutes from the airport which is good

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay, and thank you for your business. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your feedback. We certainly are close to the airport which makes it most convenient for our guests, and we offer free parking and free shuttle pick up and drop off for all of our guests. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.