“First time visit”

Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our first time at this hotel. Generally satisfied. Carpet in room was quite worn. Bed was small. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly. Had dinner from restaurant. Food was good and staff friendly. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Older part of hotel seemed to have rooms that needed updating
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Owen B
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a positive review, and for your business. Thank you for the positive comments about the service and food; we strive to deliver consistent customer service excellence, and take great pride in the quality of our food. We are sorry that you found the carpet in your room worn; we had just replaced every carpet in the hotel in 2012. Thank you again for your feedback, and for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Ugh. This is not what I expected. The woman at the front desk was nice and apologetic, because I seemed to be dropped like a hot potato by the woman who was checking me in. My car keys, which I had to turn in ,in order to leave my car there for the free long term parking, were left by the cash register while I wrote down my info and the front desk clerk disappeared down the hallway with someone else. Finish one thing before starting another! There is supposed to be a shuttle to the airport, but apparently, I just show up at 4:30 AM in the lobby, and the security guy will drive me or call me a cab. Weird. No elevator either, and I had a heavy suitcase to lug to the third floor. I'm really not a complainer, but I don't think I'll be staying here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jules563

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for your business. We clearly could have done better at check-in, and we are very sorry about your experience. We are pleased to offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport, and should the shuttle be unavailable we are pleased to pay for cab fare. During the early morning hours we have a Night Auditor and a Security person who is responsible for doing shuttle runs. Unfortunately we do not have an elevator, and while it is a little inconvenient, we are always more than happy to assist with luggage up and down our stairs. Thank you again for posting a review, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Checked in on March 24, 2014. The front desk very pleasant and helpful. Very dated lobby and rooms. Hallway are in desperate need of new carpet as well as the rooms. Bed was comfortable and bathroom needed updating. I paid $169.00 which I think was very over priced for a hotel in Thunder Bay and the condition for the hotel for a whole. Many parties happening over the whole hotel the night that I stayed. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeroen B

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your business. We truly appreciate the positive comments about the friendly service. We are sorry that you feel the price was unreasonable, and while we strive to offer the most competitive rates in the market, there are occasions when the City is completely full and rates go up. The hallways are currently in the process of getting painted, and the carpets were recently replaced throughout the entire hotel in late 2012. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I do stay here quite a bit for convenience. The rooms are very dated, the last room smelt like sickness!!! Front desk and shuttle people are delightful. Food in restaurant is good, reasonably priced. Free shuttle and parking, while away on a trip.

• Stayed: February 2014
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review, and for staying with us Rodbeth2008. We very much appreciate it. I am sorry for the smell in your room, if you call the hotel directly and ask for the GM I would very much like to find out more so we can look into the matter. I do agree that our location and shuttle make our hotel very convenient before a flight, and am very pleased your found our staff very friendly. Our restaurant has a great selection and affordable prices, however, we are looking at revising it before the summer to make it even better. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The staff are awesome. The facilities are old but they make it work. They were helpful with all our needs. I was especially appreciative of their help to get my printing from Staples across town. They drove me to the store to pick up the printing and brought me back. The General Manager to the front line staff were accommodating and helpful. A great experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your positive review CanadianCycleTravel, we very much appreciate it and your business. We take great pride in our customer service and am glad we exceeded your expectations. Our staff consistently goes the extra mile, and always takes steps to ensure our guests are well taken care of. Again, thank you for your review, and for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

After my experience with a previous ‘Historic Hotel’ in the city of Thunder Bay, I was hesitant to try another one for fear the experience might be repeated. I had heard that the Royal Residence Suite in the Airlane Hotel (Southward Thunder Bay) was a remarkable place and well, it was my husband’s birthday coming up, so I decided to give it a try.

The Airlane obviously has some history, given its exterior “Motel/Hotel” look, but once I stepped into the lobby, I was immediately impressed. They have embraced a very Northwest Company/Fur Trade look, with river-rock, birch trees and an eco-friendly natural vibe. The staff was very pleasant as we booked in and made us feel welcome. Our room was at the other end of the hotel and it was a bit of a walk to get there, although we could have driven around in the car to access it from the other side. There seems to be a gap in their renovations, as the updates to doors/hallways stopped and started along the route, and it was very easy to tell which halls were current and which were desperately in need of a reno. Low ceilings also date the building, but I think that could be alleviated by new carpeting, new doors and wallpaper.

The Royal Residence however was breathtaking, easily one of the loveliest rooms I’ve had the pleasure to stay in. It was a true suite, with king bed and ensuite on one side and a living room/dining room and luxury bath on the other. The décor was unique and in keeping with the ‘Higher End’ of the fur trade! The claw-foot tub was delightful, the king bed very comfy and I found myself wishing I could spend a little more time in the room. We’ll definitely be booking this room again - for an overnight getaway, it’s ideal.

The River Rock Bar and Grille is the Airlane’s dining room and it seemed to have been on the ‘missed’ end of the renovations. While the River Rock fireplace is nice, the chandeliers and wall fabric are very reminiscent of the ‘80s. This place could stand a new menu (perhaps something a little more in keeping with the local flair that they have captured elsewhere), new wall coverings and partitions for privacy (I could hear people chewing several tables away). Also, I’m a wine snob, so when my glass of Shiraz came in a small white wine glass, I was not impressed.

Regardless, if you can stay in one of the renovated rooms, I think you would have a great time at this hotel. It is so close to the airport, to shopping and other dining establishments in the south end of town, and if they can continue the work that has been started, the history of this place could really work in it’s favour. With the right touch, the Airlane could be THE place in Thunder Bay. It’s already halfway there.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the renovated rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you so much for the positive review Timber9762, we truly appreciate it and your business. We could not agree more; the Royal Residence is one of the nicest suites we offer and one of best in the City! We have a plan to paint all the hallways and the rest of the guestrooms between April to June, and also have plans to redo the carpet in the restaurant to brighten up our public spaces and freshen our guest rooms. I am very glad you gave us a chance for your husband's birthday, and am pleased that your experience was positive. I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We needed a hotel close to the airport, with an airport shuttle, to catch our early-morning flight out of Thunder Bay. Other hotels on the closest-to-the-airport intersection are a fair bit more expensive, so we picked this one. The room we were assigned was about as far from reception as can be, through somewhat confusing twisting corridors (the building is laid out in an unusual zig-zag configuration) but once you know where you're going the building design allows everyone to park close to their room and have a nearby outside entrance.

Our ground-floor room had a single king bed, 32" flat-panel TV, desk+chair, and a nice couch + coffee table to sit on rather than a second bed. It was -40C the night we were there but no complaints about the temperature of the room or the hotel in general.

Airport shuttle apparently runs more-or-less continuously during peak travel hours, but we checked out at 5:30am and they had no problem driving us to the airport at that time (it's less than a 5-minute drive).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JLB M
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you very much for posting a comment, and for your business, we truly appreciate it. We are very conveniently located, only minutes to the airport, and are pleased to offer free parking and airport shuttle pick ups and drop offs for all of our guests. We are an ideal hotel to stay before a trip South! I am glad that you found our prices reasonable, as we strive to be very competitively priced. Our rooms were updated about a year ago with new carpeting, beds, bedding, furniture and TVs and are also very tastefully decorated with new artwork. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.