Strathcona Motel
US$120
Cancelon
US$139
TripAdvisor
All reviewsquiet streetgrocery storefull kitchenliving areatrans canadaunitskenkeurigkitchenettebedroominternetthunderbayfurnitureaccommodationspillows
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Strathcona Motel while attending Lakehead University. I can you that the stay was perfect and the suite was great! You can't go wrong staying at the Strathcona! Highly Reccomend!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank J-D7317
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thanks for the positive review! Hope you have a great summer!

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

If youre staying in Thunder Bay on a tight budget, this was a great stay for the cheap price. They were very friendly and accommodating - asking if there's anything more you need on their daily cleaning. The surrounding area was quiet, with a golf courseand not far away from downtown. It was easy to get to Sleeping Giant Park from the location too.
The only downside to the place is they temporarily had one channel on the TV with rabbit ears. We caught the playoff game just in time but it took some playing around with the TV to get it to work.

I'll be staying here again if we come back to Thunder Bay. Id recommend it to anyone passing through or staying for a week.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Travis K

Thank you for the kind review - we were very glad to read that you found our rates and location pleasing - we take a lot of pride in providing good service at a reasonable price!

AND we just got DIGITAL TV at the motel so there's lots to see the next time you come to stay with us.

Hope to see you again soon and thanks again.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Strathcona Motel is a hidden gem among the plethora of motels in Thunder Bay. After reading the unanimously positive reviews on tripadvisor, I was both excited to see what the fuss was about yet apprehensively expecting to be disappointed. After staying in the charming mini-apartment, I can't imagine anyone leaving less than pleased. The owners, Ken and Janice, were lovely people who made you feel like a guest, not a customer. There was a separate bedroom with a bed so comfortable that it lulled away my chronic insomnia (no small feat by any means). Even the hide-a-bed was of impressive quality. The best part for me, by far, was how personal the space felt. Pictures and stories of the family were the magical touch that made it feel like home. As a child of hard-working immigrants who also ran a family business, I felt a particular fondness for not only the motel, but the family who created it. If I ever pass through Thunder Bay again, I will certainly stay at the Strathcona Motel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Suzy Y

Hello and thanks for writing - we are very glad that you found the accommodations comfortable and enjoyed some of the personal touches offered at the motel - certainly a labour of love over a couple of generations! We would be very happy to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Late October, I had to zip across the country for work in Barrie, Ontario and needed a fun little place to stay with my family. We've already been to the brand hotel chains with the waterslides and pools and wanted something to remember. We heard about the Strathcona motel through the great online reviews it received. I must tell anyone who reads the reviews that this place is the best I have ever been in. If and when I have to go back and forth again, I will always call Ken at the motel first before anywhere else. This is a new "must" on my list.
I was running very late during our check in as my wife couldn't get off work earlier. I called Ken to let him know that we couldn't leave Winnipeg till after 5pm. We got to T-Bay around 3 in the morning and Ken, the owner was working hard at the desk in the room making sure we made it alright. When we arrived with a vanload of kids and stuff, he took the time to tell us about the local attractions and a great place for breakfast. The K-cup machine in the room was the icing on the cake. Loved every inch of that place! Even the flowers were awesome.
When I was making the return trip with just my daughter and myself, we made sure to stop by again. Thankfully a room was available and we had a great stay. Even gave a discount to the military folks. God love ya Ken, and thanks for a wonderful experience (x2!).
The Hardy family

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JoeHard
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for this truly wonderful review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay; please come again!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here on my drive across Canada. Was very tired and just ready to relax, and this place was everything I needed. Being on a tight budget, the place was surprisingly reasonable. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, this place was like a small apartment. Very cozy, very friendly, very clean, it was everything we needed. Loved it, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brando K
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; please come again. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.