“Romantic get away in Thunder Bay”

Rose Valley Lodge & Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 288 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Price range: US$21 - US$52
Cuisines: European, German, Swiss
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are by reservation only with one dinner sitting at 7:00 pm Thursday to Sunday. First reservation chooses the main entree for that evening. Experience a delectable 5-course meal in a quiet, intimate setting on secluded 440 acres of meadows, forest and ancient mountains. Make it a full getaway with an overnight stay in one of two log cabins available for rent.
“Romantic get away in Thunder Bay”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I've live in Thunder Bay most of my life and only found our about this place through trip advisor. We ended up staying the night with the dinner package. There's an option to being your own food but trust me, you'll want to eat here. Food and presentation was like nothing we've had. It was definitely great. It comes with a complimentary breakfast also which was great. Also it was very nice that they were able to prepare a gluten free meal for my wife. You have to let them know in advance.... We lucked out.

When we got there, we almost turned around because the first thing we had seen is an old 19th century home. It's a good thing we didnt. The cabins gave you total isolation and privacy with a great view of the hillside. Internet signal was poor and no TV though. But I guess that would defy the purpose of being isolated from the city... Which is nice once in a while. They have hiking trails and a few good places where you can snap some pictures.

The owners were very friendly and made time to have a conversation with you without delaying your food. You can tell everything was freshly made. You may want to come with an empty stomach too. The course of the meal took about 1.5 hours by the time they brought you the fifth plate, I think? Needless to say, there gave you that many plates to finish the meal. And I ate everything, even some fruits that I didn't like. Overall I give this a 9.8 out of 10

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank jmag80

Calgary, Canada
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I have never been disappointed at Rose Valley. Excellent meal, attentive service and friendly chef/host who come out to meet and greet during the meal! Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank clayacres
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Amazing Food, Friendly Atmosphere, Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I recently went to Rose Valley for our 1 year anniversary dinner. This was our second visit and both times were excellent.
The setting is so beautiful and quiet and I love being able to look out from the dining area at all the animals (horses, sheep, bunnies, hummingbirds etc.).
Markus (the owner/chef) and his wife are so friendly and inviting and will take the time to chat with you during and after the meal. The service is excellent.
The food is fabulous! The dinner is so good no matter what you have and the desserts are so yummy that even after you've had 4 courses you have no problem finishing the 5th.
The amount you pay for all of the above is well worth the drive out (which really isn't that far).
We are already planning our next visit!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Julie C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprised my girlfriend for her birthday with an overnight stay and she absolutely loved it!!!”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I surprised my girlfriend for her birthday by taking her out for a romantic evening and overnight stay. She absolutely loved it!!! From the setting to the food and the relaxing cabin it was a wonderful experience that we'd love to do again in the future.

Marcus is an absolutely amazing chef and the 5 course meal was delicious!!! We wished we could have kept eating! The breakfast was wonderful as well. We felt like family while we were there.

We were able to bring out my girlfriends golden retriever and went for a nice walk in the countryside. We highly recommend Rose Valley Lodge!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank gary b
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Excellent night out, or romantic overnight”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The host is an excellent chef. The food is phenomenal, and the venue beautiful... looking out on to low planes, with horses and the occaisional dear... remote, rustic, romantic... strongly recommended.

Visited December 2012