“Just Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Neebing Road-House

Neebing Road-House
Ranked #60 of 287 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winnipeg, Canada
“Just Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

When you first walk up to the building it is huge and very nice looking with wood exterior and interior. The service was not great as maybe the waitress felt my friends and I were not as important because we are teenagers. It took forever for us to get service as it is a seat yourself place and I think there was some confusion between the staff as to who had what tables. The food was hot and it came out an average amount of time after my order was placed. Overall the menu has the regular bar and grill items but has some unique dishes you can try also. The prices are average not too much. This place has potential to be a great restaurant but the service needs to be improved in order for it to become any better.

• Visited November 2012

Apleton
“Different kind of experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

This was our first time in the area and it was getting kind of late on the night we arrived, so we wanted something quick as we were starving. The building for this place is huge but a bit confusing. It's actually two different businesses under one roof. One is more of an upscale fine dining restaurant with ridiculous prices and the other one is more like a bar/grill. We chose the pub side and were told we can seat ourselves. My friend grabbed the menus so we could check them out. We sat at our table for literally 20 minutes before my friend realized all the wait-staff must've assumed someone else was serving on us since we already had the menus. No big deal, we got that confusion out of the way.
This was a Friday night so place was packed. Seems like a good hang-out spot for locals when they want to meet up in large groups.
The menu is pretty typical to bar food so not too many choices, but there were couple of unique ones. The food came out hot and the drinks cold, so no complains.
Our waitress kept flirting with my friend (he's a female and I'm a male) and looking at me with an awkward expression....almost like sorry, but I have to work for my tips. I thought it was kind of funny so played along. Funny part was I was the one paying for dinner and then she really felt awkward after talking my friend up all night.
All in all, this seems like a fun place to go with your pals and just hang out amongst all the locals.

Visited December 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Poor Bar Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I frequent the Neebing Road-House about 3 to 4 times a month. I have had enough of the poor service and will not be returning. The bar staff seems most pretentious. It takes a long time (i.e., 5+ minutes) to have someone take a drink order, it then takes a long time to receive the drink. Further, you often have to walk up to the bar to get a drink; although, this is not the end of the world I do expect the bartender/server to come around and ask if you would like another. After all, I am "expected" to leave a tip.

My last visit I didn't feel the need to tip as well as I normally do which is 20%. I felt as though 10% for their lack of service (i.e., I had to walk up to get my own drinks, had to ask for a menu, had to order my own food at the bar, had to walk up to the bar to pay the waitstaff - if you could call it that) was justifiable. After leaving 10%, I overheard the staff complain about the tip I left. I am a server and I have to bust my butt to make my tips. I always make sure my tables are taken care of. I understand that when it is busy it is difficult to give the best service BUT this place is never swamped with patrons when I go. So, that is not an excuse. If you want a larger tip, you need to work for it. I am not just going to hand it to you because you poured rum and coke into a cup. It's just the same as me going to McDonald's and ordering a coke - the same task was performed - coke was poured into a cup.

I suggest management has a word with its staff. First, on the agenda should be customer service. Second, should be the appropriateness of discussing tips around patrons.

Farewell, Neebing Roadhouse.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Eserver
London, Canada
“Has Potential!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Thought I'd give it a try since I'm up here for work. Service was prompt and friendly. Ordered the chicken cordon bleu. Admittedly, vegetables weren't piping hot but well cooked. Same with mash potatoes. About half way through the chicken (which I thought was really tasty), I noticed that there was no ham or cheese in it. Mentioned this to the waitress who immediately apologized and offered to do whatever needed to make it right. About ten minutes later, I overheard the exact same issues at a table not too far from me.

Overall it was a nice place. A bit of fine tuning with the kitchen and this would be an excellent place to come back to.

• Visited October 2012
Thunder Bay
“I keep coming back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Of all the times I have gone here I have never had a bad experience. The staff is always friendly, the food is always good and fast and we always have a good time.

• Visited August 2012