“Good food and friendly service”
Review of Senses Restaurant

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Blue Jays Way
Transit: Take the streetcar travelling south from Spadina Station. Exit at King Street and walk one block south to Wellington Street West and one block East to the entrance.
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Right in the soho metropolitan hotel. Apps, mains and desert were all delicious. Wine was reasonably priced

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Focused on an appeal to the senses, Senses restaurant does just that. A concern for taste, smell, sight, touch and ambiance are present at this restaurant tucked into the main floor of the Soho hotel on Wellington , downtown Toronto. Previously Senses was located on Bloor Street where their excellent reputation was first established as one of Toronto's outstanding dining locations. Today it is a Winterlicious menu in Toronto and a good time to sample the food at many restaurants in the city; however, offerings during Winterlicious often do not reflect the culinary prowess of the restaurant. Fortunately for my colleague and myself, the $25 menu really was delicious. and a sampling of the talents of the chef. On this Winterlicious menu, there were three courses and we both began with the mesclun salad of Asian Pear, pickled Beets ,maple -glazed walnuts in a pomegranate vinaigrette that was very tasty and not over dressed. And again we both selected the cured salmon served on warm lentils with baby Shanghai bok choy and braised endive. The flavours were distinct , especially the texture and taste of the bok choy yet all elements worked together to make the entire dish an interesting palette that addressed our senses. Desert choices were blood orange brulee tart accompanied by a ginger & orange compote, or a duo of white & dark chocolate cheesecake with champagne & strawberry coulis or a warm Calvados scented apple crumble with French Vanilla ice cream. I opted for the crumble where there were large slices of apple that were not overwhelmed by too much ice cream. My colleague had the tarte which she enjoyed very much.It may be a cliche to talk about meal as an instrument that hits all of the right notes, but Senses does in deed find the shades, variations and richness of an artful experience. Just reading the menu imparts a sense of how thoughtfully each element has been chosen, composed and presented to the diner. Service too was excellent: friendly, helpful and time just right.

2  Thank unhappytraveller123
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I had dinner at Senses a year ago and it was very good. What a different experience this time. As another reviewer noted, the food was "alright" at best. The service was "middle-of-the-road", but the food was a huge disappointment. Entrees were overcooked and should have been sent back (our mistake).

A vodka and soda for $ 14.00? Outrageous

Definitely NOT worth the over $ 100.00 per person price tag.

1  Thank MyTravels2018
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Our first time at Senses. We arrived early as we were going to a show at 8:00 PM. The restaurant was not quite ready when we arrived so we were invited to go to the bar for a drink. Sat at the bar and ordered wine....my husband, white and me, red.....both served in a same size small wine glass!!! We ordered the 3 course dinner: duck confit in a pastry for both of us, sechuan beef for my husband, crusted halibut for me, apple crumble for him and "cheesecake" for me. We had to return the duck confit as it was cold.....with apologies, they brought another one.....still cold!!! My husband was expecting real sechuan beef, instead a piece of beef with vegetables... :-(......my halibut was well presented but.....dry!! The apple crumble was delicious and the "cheesecke".... not sure how to describe two scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.....!!! BTW, did I mention that the wine glasses for our Cabernet Sauvignon were the same small size glasses used at the bar !!!!! Service was good but you could feel a certain tension in the air....not much time to chat with the clients. In the end, our server asked if the GM had been to see us and when we replied "no" and that we had to leave....he immediately came, apologized and gave us two gift cards to use at the bar at a later date !!!! We were just very disappointed and will not go there again....To us, this restaurant is a 5 star "wannabe".....

2  Thank 1Kimbo
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Great breakfast and plenty of it with pleasant service. They also serve breakfast until quite late if you need to lay in.