“Stay away!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We received dishes that did not come as we ordered. We had to return them repeatedly. The chicken on one pasta dish was undercooked; chicken on another pasta dish was supposed to be grilled, but it was breaded. On the same dishes ordered, quantities differed significantly. The orange sorbet dessert had the texture of ice cream, not of sorbet.

We got the impression that leftover food was being used in our dishes. We felt that the cook was trying to 'cheap out' on the meals, and was not being very upfront with us.

Interestingly enough, we noticed that the Public Health Inspector gave restaurant a 'conditional pass' in July, 2013, which he/she upgraded in August to a pass.

It was a thumbs-down restaurant for us.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have been coming to Piazzetta Yonge/Lawrence location for more than 10 years. It was by far my favourite pizzeria if not my favourite restaurant in Toronto. I had the European vibe, small, cramped, always busy, Italian staff, and most of all, the pizzas and antipasto dishes were really good! And the owner was always there serving people and making small talk. I liked this place so much I even celebrated my 40th birthday there upstairs with a large group.

I used a groupon a few months back and went to their Eglinton location. Not impressed. The waitress advised me to change my order saying she didn't recommend it. My view is if there is something on the menu that is not good, then take it off!

So I went back to the Yonge/Lawrence location last night hoping for the Piazzetta experience I was used to. I was sorely disappointed. There were no Italian staff on site. The pizza was soggy. The service was poor - no checking back with us to see how things were, took their time picking up dirty plates. And the shiraz we ordered wasn't shiraz at all. It was a good bottle of Italian red but not shiraz. Also the location was looking tired. The paint was peeling off the walls, it was dusty.

And with the coupons on their website makes me feel that they are hurting for business. My impression was it cheapens the whole experience.

What happened Piazzetta? Did you sell the restaurant? Did you expand and couldn't support the small restaurant charm that made you so good?

So disappointed.... :(

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Was not impressed with the location further north a couple of months ago, but had a coupon to use, so just hoped for the best.

The staff are friendly and know the menu. They accommodated our special (but simple) requests. The menu has enough choice, especially the apps. The decor is nice shabby chic. They do have a pizza oven, but the place didn't have the yummy wood-burning oven smell that the location further north usually has.

The highlight was the grilled seafood platter-- nicely seasoned, not over-cooked. The grilled chicken was dry and chewy. The tomato and goat cheese salad looked messy, but was tasty. After a bad experience at the other location, we avoided all forms of pasta.

Overall, it was OK. But my eye kept wandering through the windows to the livelier-looking Italian restaurant across the street.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This review is for the Yonge & York Mills location (just south of York Mills), this is the location I have visited on numerous occasions: with a friend who recommended it to me, with my wife, with my parents, and every time the place has been hard to leave as it feels just that comfortable. Time flew by and the staff were too polite to kick me out. On several occasions the owner would sit down with us come end of meal and gab with us. Nicest guy, too; though since the Eglinton location opened he understandably seems to spend more time there. The pizza is ALWAYS wonderful, as is the pasta, minestrone soup, appetizers. Service could be seen as hit and miss if you were in a hurry (which I am never in). But the food always rocks, and in the end that is what I go to a restaurant for. So from that point of view I would suggest it for family and friends, not a nervous first date :-)

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Had only 2 wines available in a glass. Ordered the stuffed mushrooms with feta as an appetizer. Didn't enjoy them at all and undercooked. The rigatoni al forno was sooo bland and watery with chunks of tomatoes. It seemed as though sauce was straight out of the can. The tiramisu was another disappointment. It tasted stale and the smothered it with chocolate sauce. Ruined the whole dessert. The male waiter was very pleasant and attentive. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.not one person in the place looked Italian. 2459 Yonge St.