“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We went to the Eglinton location because we had a discount coupon. I had read the negative reviews but assumed management had had enough time to make things right. I was wrong. When we arrived the lone server was too busy dealing with the computer to seat us. Half an hour later the manager, who was now helping out, took our orders. My wife and I both ordered veal dishes but were informed that they were out of veal. What kind of Italian restaurant runs out of veal? All that was left was chicken or pasta. we both ordered pasta,manicotti for my wife and gnocchi for me. They were out of manicotti. The pasta we eventually got was quite good. While we were eating several potential diners were turned away due to lack of food, and some people who were already seated left without eating.
Altogether a unique dining experience.

1  Thank barryk

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Made a reservation for this place over the phone. Their voicemail message says to leave a message detailing the type of reservation you want, and they will only contact you if there's a problem. We tried to confirm the reservation, but kept getting their answering machine message. We showed up (to celebrate our anniversary by the way) and the place was apparently closed for renovations. How the hell are they supposed to call back to say your reservation can't be made if there's no one working!?!? Change your freaking voicemail message to say you're closed, or post it on your website or do something!! This was ridiculous and ruined my anniversary...

We called the manager who said she'd call us back about it when she got home, but never did.

Go to one of the locations on Yonge instead. We didn't have a problem with them.

1  Thank meaghan102_1
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We went to the Eglinton West location tried different dishes from their antipastos (selection of cheese and cured meat) to some meat and fish. We both ordered their "Linguine alla Pescatora", and we were delighted!
Then loved the huge veal chop, topped with mushrooms sauce with sautee' veggies on the side. The salmon fillet was cooked to perfection: juicy and tasty.
White house wine was a perfect companion (pinot grigio) and a nice shot of Montenegro Amaro was the right way to complete our meal.
The staff (Italian) was attentive and caring: we were offered fresh parmesasn cheese although the sever pointed out that a fish dish should not be topped with cheese. The Italian way...

Overall it was a very interesting experience, the food was excellent and the service flawless. Definitely recommend this restaurant and will come back.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We received dishes that did not come as we ordered. We had to return them repeatedly. The chicken on one pasta dish was undercooked; chicken on another pasta dish was supposed to be grilled, but it was breaded. On the same dishes ordered, quantities differed significantly. The orange sorbet dessert had the texture of ice cream, not of sorbet.

We got the impression that leftover food was being used in our dishes. We felt that the cook was trying to 'cheap out' on the meals, and was not being very upfront with us.

Interestingly enough, we noticed that the Public Health Inspector gave restaurant a 'conditional pass' in July, 2013, which he/she upgraded in August to a pass.

It was a thumbs-down restaurant for us.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have been coming to Piazzetta Yonge/Lawrence location for more than 10 years. It was by far my favourite pizzeria if not my favourite restaurant in Toronto. I had the European vibe, small, cramped, always busy, Italian staff, and most of all, the pizzas and antipasto dishes were really good! And the owner was always there serving people and making small talk. I liked this place so much I even celebrated my 40th birthday there upstairs with a large group.

I used a groupon a few months back and went to their Eglinton location. Not impressed. The waitress advised me to change my order saying she didn't recommend it. My view is if there is something on the menu that is not good, then take it off!

So I went back to the Yonge/Lawrence location last night hoping for the Piazzetta experience I was used to. I was sorely disappointed. There were no Italian staff on site. The pizza was soggy. The service was poor - no checking back with us to see how things were, took their time picking up dirty plates. And the shiraz we ordered wasn't shiraz at all. It was a good bottle of Italian red but not shiraz. Also the location was looking tired. The paint was peeling off the walls, it was dusty.

And with the coupons on their website makes me feel that they are hurting for business. My impression was it cheapens the whole experience.

What happened Piazzetta? Did you sell the restaurant? Did you expand and couldn't support the small restaurant charm that made you so good?

So disappointed.... :(