“A 3.5”

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #24 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This place is "better than average" but not completely "very good."

When you walk into the lobby, it is dark and mysterious. A bit unusual for a hotel. The first thing the front desk did was refer to the lobby bar--rather than address my need to check in. That was strange. After check-in, the desk told me about the various offerings in the space: the nightclub, the restaurants, the lounge. While I appreciated being told, it felt a bit more like being in a club with a hotel rather than a hotel that had a club. I don't mind the key card necessity for the elevator, but the darkness, the pounding music, and the swanky feel was a bit pretentious.

The room itself was open and large. The lighting system (switches) is designed to assist the guest, and the hardwood floors were a nice touch. The TV could be larger for such a "luxury" space, but by and large, I had no complaints on the room. As a matter of fact, I slept well in the comfortable bed.

It was the air of pretension that lingered, including upon check-out. While I was staying there through a Priceline deal, I was charged $2.65 or so for "taxes" on the Priceline charge. I didn't fully understand that as Priceline had already charged me $20+ in service fees and taxes. And now the hotel had to nickel and dime me for charges that had already occurred?

Would I stay here again, Priceline or not? Probably. It's not really "me" as it's a bit too vibey. But my other half would have loved it. I was there on business, and it's more of a "date place" than a "work hotel." But I recognize it was nice to "shake things up" and experience something a little bit different.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Thorbbert,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you appreciated our hardwood floors and state of the art Lutron Lightening system.

This year the city of Toronto has implemented a “Destination Marketing fee” of 3%. When booking your reservation through a third party this information is provided prior to the completion of your booking. I am very sorry if you felt that this reflected badly on your overall impression of our Hotel.

Hopefully you will have an opportunity to return with your wife on your next visit.

Best,

There are newer reviews for Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Lovely big room, great bed, good room service, free luggage storage. Car parking more reasonable than anywhere else and handy to Billy Bishop airport for our crappy flights with never to be used again Porter Airlines (how do they manage to trash an expensive, new, hard sided suitcase in one short flight...and then not give a rat's backside!?) Would stay there gain for any reason! Good location for anyone visiting Toronto.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear christiem2010,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry about the experience that your new suitcase had on the flight over. Luckily there are several options for replacement of such items close by to the Hotel, and of course our staff is always on hand for a quick repair to ensure you and your belongings get home safely.

We look forward to having you back soon,

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Come on, how often do you get this amazing luxury while traveling??? I love this hotel. Clean, sleek, contemporary styling from lobby to room. I love the amenities and in-room snack drawer and stocked fridge. So tasteful. Rooftop pool is sublime and club scene is tolerable and chic. A little on the noisy side Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday, but totally worth it. Got an amazingly stylish ride to the airport in the hotel Jaguar, thanks to Albert--so lovely. What a bonus. My new favorite hotel group. Thanks for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Isabelle B
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Isabelle B, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We delight in exceeding our guests expectations and I know that Albert will be thrilled to hear your comments.
We hope to welcome you back to the Thompson Toronto Hotel very soon!
Best,

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My new wife started work the Thursday after our wedding and as such a honeymoon was not possible. After much deliberation we decided to take a three night staycation honeymoon at The Thompson Toronto and this turned out to be a excellent decision.

From the moment I was offered an early check in and a room upgrade on the day of our wedding right up until we were granted a late check out every request we made was carried out in a efficient, courteous and friendly manner. The King Suite we were upgraded to was amazing and the rooftop pool and bar is definitely one of the highlights of Toronto. We enjoyed the experience of staying at The Thompson so much that we extended our stay by two days. We plan to return for our first anniversary and hopefully for many more after that. The Thompson Toronto will be the only hotel we recommend to visitors to this city going forward.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Patrick O,

Thank you so very much for your review, we are delighted that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us and we look forward to your First Anniversary!

Please contact me when you plan to return so that we can make sure to arrange something special for you,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I know Toronto very well and truly know the hotels in the City...
The Thompson is really a great hotel for singles/couples/families/dog lovers...location is ideal for tourist/business/pleasure stays..

The staff strives do go above and beyond their job description..I must make a special note regarding .. Lousia Duhamel..front desk "can make it happen"..so helpful and informed of the "best of the best"...

The rooms are very comfortable and the Suites are fantastic too...If you want to have a great experience in one of the best Cities of the World...Book The Thompson

Room Tip: Do not use the parking lot across the street.. not secured..worth the cost for hotel valet!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear dawson1313,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so pleased that you were able to share your time in Toronto with us. Your kind recognition, I am sure will be very well received.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed two nights, August 22nd and 23rd. Check in was fast, had a note and chocolates waiting for us in the room from the hotel manager which set the tone for great service. Unfortunately that is where it ended. Beautiful hotel, the decor is ultra modern and fun. Rooms are average in size. We were on the 9th floor and had a balcony. We went up to the roof top pool, small but clean and very crowded. No room to walk with people laying on the ground because the loungers were taken. Also went up to the roof top for drinks, nice view.

There are certain details that make this hotel average and cheap
1/ coffee service in the lobby ends at 9am. this would be fine if you had coffee in the room but you don't
2/ no chairs on the balcony so you can't enjoy the balcony, had to wheel the desk chair out and only one person could sit out there
3/ only two bath towels, had to call housekeeping for more
4/ ran out of toilet paper and kleenex
5/ breakfast that is included is continental, why bother. There was even confusion about that among the servers at the Thompson Diner.
6/ tv cables not working well, had to fiddle with it
7/ internet is not included with the room

The only place we received incredible service was at the restaurant Scarpetta. We would highly recommend this culinary experience. Service and food where incredible. They made the stay worthwhile. Check in staff was indifferent, bar/service staff was also mediocre at best. Outside of Scarpetta, no one made you feel like they were happy to see you.

I am glad we went to see the place, one night would have been enough.

Room Tip: 9th floor with the balcony was great, could see the city but they need to get outside chairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Chillview,

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate hearing from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Scarpetta while I regret that your experience with our staff was not equally as enjoyable.

We are making some changes within the Hotel which will address a number of your concerns, please stay turned as I am sure that you will be pleased with our improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We left items in the safe and asked Management if they could retrieve them. Without missing a breath, we were assured that housekeeping checks the safe when cleaning the room, and a manager checks behind them, and no item was recovered from the room. We know without ny doubt that we left items in the safe....I agree we should have triple check! But, I assumed... We were staying in a reputable, sophisticated establishment, and that honesty was their virtue. Well, it was not and my cherished item was Stolen, right out of the Secured safe...right. Management gave me a managers card... Not sure for what reason. I ill be faxing a bill for the items stolen / left in the safe. Be forewarned, and be careful, triple check...Management did not think this was an issue or warrant ny follow up... This was truly a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Check in early for best rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Storminfoxridge
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Storminfoxridge,

Thank you for sharing with us.

I can assure you any such incident would be taken very seriously by both our Staff and Management team. Please contact me directly so that we may discuss the particulars of this review. I look forward to hearing from you,