“Nice Property but...”

Ranked #21 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Thunder Bay
“Nice Property but...”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The property, rooms, restaurants and public spaces are nice. Service horrible and noisy from both within and the street. For my business purposes, the location of the hotel was not good. I could have stayed closer to where I was working so I can't hold that against the hotel.

On the first night, there was a steady stream of visitors to a room a couple of doors down on the floor that I stayed on. Phoned down at 3 am and 4 am and then gave up. Mentioned it the next morning again, and was told that the Manager on Duty had visited. Then, most mornings around 6:30-7:00 am there was Hotel staff that would walk down the hall talking and laughing. Seems to me that this should be part of the staff training. Did mention it to the front desk as well. One last service issue involved the doorman. On my way to the airport, he offered to negotiate a lower flat rate to the airport for me. In doing so, he saved me $5 and I gave him the $5 as a tip. The cabbie indicated to me that he had given the doorman $5 as part of some side deal. The cabbie had a role of bills out when I entered the cab, so it seemed reasonable that he did give the doorman the $5. The cabbie turned on the meter when we got going, which I thought was strange for a flat fare. The kicker was that the meter showed less than the flat fare that was negotiated by the doorman for me when I arrived at the airport. I know that everyone has to make a living, but...

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing Wellington Ave.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank ThunderBayRob
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear ThunderBayRob,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. We strive to provide our all our guests with the warm and genuine service which Thompson hotels are known for, it is clear that we have fallen short in this regard and for this I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. We take your comments very seriously and have addressed the concerns which you mentioned in your review.

Please note that we have a car service which we strongly suggest our guests take advantage of when traveling to Pearson International; this flat fee includes tax’s and driver gratuity and can even be charged directly to your guest room.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Theo Kolovos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Let me start off by saying that I want to really like the Thompson Toronto. I love the area it's in (I used to live next door) and for the past several years, it's been my hotel of choice for a quick last minute booking for a night out in the city.

My last two experiences have been horrendous.

On one occasion, THEIR credit card machine was not working on two cards I tried. For some reason their interac was working. I'm someone who doesn't keep ample amounts of cash in my bank, so I had to sit in the lobby and transfer funds so that I could pay for my room. While a slight delay, these things happen. Knowing my booking history, I would've expected the staff to be more empathetic and come up with a better solution than "there's an ATM over there". Where this issue became exaggerated was when I ordered late-night room service. The food came quick as usual, only the delivery person was asking for cash. Yes - CASH! I did not have cash, nor was I about to go get cash. He became argumentative and I told him I was closing the door. I of course paid for the food upon check-out, but the lack of service quality was concerning.

This past weekend, I did a walk-in. I did a quick scan on Hotel Tonight and Booking.com prior to walking in, but figured i might as well let them offer me the same deal. Turns out their first and "best" offer was $40 more. Fine - I'll book on HT as I could care less if they want less of the profit! Literally 30 secs later I was done, only the one-person counter staff decided to take the phone and complete a 7-8 min phone reservation while I stood there with a HT confirmation on my phone. Later that night, I was twice intercepted by security while going back and forth from my room to the lobby bar. Both times the security man was less than approachable and made me feel like I was some delinquent trying to sneak in rather than a valuable customer.

Two poor experiences, entirely at the fault of under-trained personnel. I hope Thompson Toronto gets its act together or my money will move to the real 4-5 star hotels that Toronto now offers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank NeilBhaps
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear NeilBhaps,

Thank you for sharing with us. Please accept my apologies; I can understand that this experience must have been frustrating for you.

I hope you can understand that we do require a guarantee of payment in order to provide you access to your room and the amenities of the Hotel. I am sorry that you felt that this experience reflected poorly on our level of service and the training of our staff.

In future if you have any questions or would like to discuss restrictions or reservation details please do not hesitate to connect with one of our managers prior to booking.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had been assigned this hotel through the no name Priceline Name Your Own Price. I initially was a bit disappointed that the location was not in central downtown Toronto but a good walk or taxi/public transit distance away. The hotel seems out of the way but upon entering was greeted by extremely friendly and gracious front desk staff. I had forgotten my toothbrush and the attractive young lady produced one quickly. The room was very well appointed although I was a bit surprised there was no coffee maker. The bed and TV were above average and there were unique features. There was a well stocked minbar and snacks etc but as prices were high I just used some cashews. The gym was one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel. As I did not have a laptop with me the young lady at the front desk alllowed me use of a laptop to check my e-mails. I did not use the restaurants bars as they were expensive so I simply walked a short distance away. I was extremely impressed with security as they immediately came when some people were making noise in the hallway. All front desk staff was very friendly I wish I remembered their names. I recall 2 French speaking girls, a stunningly beautiful afghani girl, 1 filipino guy and another girl with dark hair and a lovely smile who appeared to be a manager (I commented on her watch) I would definately stay here again at the right price

Room Tip: My room was fine but as a rule try to ask for a room away from large groups of people elevators etc
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Odessafile75
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Odessafile75,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. Please note, for your next visit, we do offer complementary coffee in the Lobby from 6am to 9am.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Sincerlely,

Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to this hotel and it most certainly will not be my last.

The rooms were modern, spacious and beds you will never want to get out of. Lots of mod cons with underfloor heating in the bathrooms to all lights have dim control.

You cannot ask anymore of the staff, they are in a class of their own and could certainly show some of the high profile 5* hotel brands how to deliver!

The diner is open 24hrs offering a great food selection a d once again consistent top class service.

The yoga boutique on the 3rd floor was my biggest surprise. A hidden haven of relaxation and tranquility, teamed with the most friendly and helpful staff and teachers.

I cannot rate this place enough. It ticks eve box and that was in January when the roof terrace and pool was closed! It can only get better.

I visited on Business, but would return with my husband and friends x

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear piglett81,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We love to hear from our guests and so appreciate your feedback!

I will certainly share your comments with the staff and teachers at 889 Yoga Wellness and Spa as well.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here only one night for business recently and I wished I could have stayed longer. I have read the great reviews of this hotel prior to arriving and was really looking forward to checking this property out.

As soon as my airport limo pulled up to the front door of the hotel, a bell staff was there to greet me and took care of my luggage. By the time I got to the front desk, the staff who checked me in knew me by my name and had all my paperwork ready! I asked him how he knew who I was - he told me that the bell staff noted my name on my luggage tag and relayed the information to the front desk while I was paying the limo driver and that's how they were able to add that extra little personal touch as I walked up to the front desk! Addressing me by my name and having all the keys etc ready - it made for a very speedy and easy check in.

The decor is beautiful - very modern, chic, pleasing to the eye. My room with a king bed was huge. It was very comfortable, with a good sized work desk and plenty of plug ins for the business traveller. It had a mini bar, a safe, ironing board, iron, umbrella, robe and a very, very, very comfortable bed. Bathroom was a good size, with heated marble floor. The room was very clean.

Room service was prompt and the food was good - not outstanding, but tasty and reasonably priced for room service.

The biggest thing I noticed was that the staff were all very friendly and helpful. It made for a pleasant stay.

The only thing I noticed was that there wasn't a coffee maker in the room - I didn't ask if I could get one if needed, as I was attending a meeting and there was coffee in the meeting room. If I were staying here on holiday, I would certainly appreciate having a coffee maker in the room.

Overall, a very nice one night stay and seems to be a great location for the theatres nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear IzzyEdmonton,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. Making sure our guests feel well cared for is very important to our team and I am glad you were able to experience this on your trip to Toronto.

On your next visit please note that we do offer top of the line espresso machines in our suites as well as complementary coffee for all of our guests in the Lobby from 6am to 9am daily.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

It's hard enough having to stay in any hotel for extended period of time but I have to say that my 2 month experience at the Thompson Hotel in Toronto was great. The rooms are awesome but what made the experience so great was by far their choice of staff. From service to front desk everyone was really helpful and genuine. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying for a day or even a month. Sarah at the front desk was particularly helpful, but so were Diogo, Dario and other members of the team which I met during my stay there. A+

Room Tip: Get the King Boom Boom Room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Didier T
Dear Didier T,

Thank you for your review, our team was delighted to hear your comments, especially Sarah! Thank you so much for sharing with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Erie
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Friend and I had tickets to see a concert at the Molson Canadian Amphitheater - chose the Thompson due to it's close proximity to the venue (or so I thought). Anyway, the hotel is super chic, slick and very modern...which is great, but again chose it for its location. Turns out, walking would have been a real pain, but the friendly staff explained how to use the street car system and everything worked out perfectly. The "American" themed dinner was OK, but very expensive. The hotel is very nice, but sort of out of the way of other downtown shopping, etc. Rooftop deck/pool is beautiful, but us 40 ish soccer moms felt out of place. Paid about $350 for one night, which is a bit much, but the location to the MCA was great. Clean and comfortable so it met out needs perfectly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynn C
Dear Lynn C,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I remember your group of ladies and you certainly did not look out of place to me!

I am very pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon.