“Modern, nice rooms but too far away from city center”

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Modern, nice rooms but too far away from city center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great hotel with nice rooms with no carpets nice bathrooms and good beds, however no Nespresso machines.
The fitness is average
The staff is super friendly and the Wabora restaurant is really good.
The restaurant is for me just too far from the places I needed to go.

2 Thank Go100go
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2015
Dear Dutchie_83,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our apologies that the service at the bar was slow and I assure you that we are committed to serving you promptly and ensuring that our guests thoroughly enjoy themselves.

We hope to welcome you back with us very soon,

Theo Kolovos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was refused entry to the room my friend was hosting a birthday party in at the Thompson hotel. The reason I was given was because of keeping the noise level down. This is absurd. My friend was never told of any noise restriction when she reserved the room, and informed staff that she was expecting guests that evening. They said that was fine. Later, when she told staff that we would be heading up to the upstairs patio and not be in the actual room, they still refused us admission. This was extremely upsetting for my friend who was only trying to enjoy her birthday party with her friends and was instead made to feel stressed out and miserable.

Whenever I have stayed at hotels overseas or in Canada, I have never been treated with the kind of disrespect that my friends and I were given at the Thompson hotel. I will never return to this establishment, and I can only hope the management reviews its policy of who is and who isn't allowed into enter their hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Colin E
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Colin E,

I am sorry that the events of the evening did not unfold in the manner in which you hopped. While we encourage and promote celebrating special occasions in our Hotel we need to be respectful of all of our Hotel guests and as such we do not allow Parties in our Guest Rooms.

We have beautiful event spaces which are perfect for large gatherings, and I would suggest this would have been a more appropriate choice for your group.

We have many guests in our Hotel, some staying with us on business, in consideration for others we do not and will not condone parties in our guest rooms.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great service.
Only issue is when they take pre auth on your credit card it goes through to your bank and effects your funds available. I travel allot and this is first time it's like this.
It happened to others guests also..

Sort this out Thompson...

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CHris H
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Upon check in we do require a valid credit card. When the credit card is presented we take a pre-authorization on your credit card, this is simply a validity check and hold for your room and tax charges as well as a standard amount for incidentals. This will “hold” the amount until the final purchase upon checkout is made. If you have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate to connect with us.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had read the reviews prior to my stay and took the advice to ask for a room on a higher floor due to the loud bar downstairs. But despite that, two complaints about the sleep quality - the closing doors are indeed loud and the HVAC blows air into your face even when you move the slats to face up.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful. The service is very friendly - from the front desk, to the bar, to room service. It's just too bad that it's not a peaceful sleep. Housekeeping does a thorough job. Would've like to stay here again if it wasn't for the sleep quality!

Also, in case hotel management reads reviews, please provide more powerful hair dryers.

Room Tip: high floor, end of hall, away from elevators
1 Thank StuckOnTravels
Dear StuckOnTravels,

Of course we read reviews! We love to hear from our guests and use every opportunity we can to connect with our guests. On your next stay let us know your preferences and we will do all we can to ensure a comfortable and restful stay.

Our hairdryers are 1200W, the highest allowable to conform to Hotel Safely Standards but if that isn’t sufficient we are steps away from Toronto Premier Blow Dry Bar to get you red carpet ready.

Enjoy your travels!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I organized a meeting at the Thompson last Wednesday on the rooftop lounge for a small group of 12. From the start we were faced with many challenges. Our start time was at 7:30am but the elevators weren't turned "on" to give us access until 8am, so we had to take the service elevator up.

First impressions of the room were great... gorgeous skyline with floor to ceiling windows providing ample light. Food was also good throughout the day.

Unfortunately, no amount of beauty or ambiance could trump the practical requirements needed to run a business meeting. The flat screen TV would not work with our laptops (very common Lenovo Thinkpads!), the back up laptop they supplied defaulted to a double screen and presenters couldn't see what they were doing, it was also very sensitive and we required constant AV support (which interrupted our meeting). The WiFi for the lounge also didn't work and we had to use the login for our rooms instead. Lastly, the table set up was way too snug for us to sit comfortably with adequate workspace. The service after breakfast was extremely slow to clear the table so it was very messy.

Sztella and Maria were quick to make things right for our group. We had a new WiFi set up just for our group, a table was added to make more room and service improved after lunch and breaks. They were very apologetic and I appreciated their attempts to make it better.

I still though cannot rate this experience at the Thompson any higher as I feel strongly that overall our meeting flow was constantly disrupted and it was very frustrating for our group.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank carole219
Dear carole219,

Thank you for your review, I understand our Director of Sales has reached out to you personally. Please accept our apologies that your meeting with us was anything less than comfortable and seamless. We hope that you will provide us the opportunity to service you again so that you can experience the level of service and attention which we pride ourselves upon,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Our group has stayed at the Thompson a few times, and they never cease to amaze us with their outstanding customer service! The concierge services will go above and beyond to accommodate your group and ensure they feel at home. No request is too small for this team, and they make sure to remember the little requests so that they are in place every time without having to ask again. Outstanding service is second nature to them, which makes those who travel a lot feel that extra sense of comfort. Always appreciated!

Danielle1234,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Thompson Toronto with us. We are delighted to hear your feedback and are very pleased that your group enjoyed there stay and appreciated our warm and attentive service team.

We hope you will return very soon!,

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

First the pluses. Great attentive service - I inadvertently left the DND signal on so my room wasn't made up, within a minute of phoning housekeeping they were up with fresh towels and offered to completely do the room, even though it was my error. Nice room, spacious; trendy, which can be less than practical (wide, shallow sinks bug me, but they look nice). Minor housekeeping flaw in that shower had a couple of stray hairs. On the other hand, floors are laminate or wood, so much cleaner than carpet.

Rooftop bar has a great view but no draught beer and limited beer selection; lobby bar is trendy looking and lively, has at least one decent draught (Creemore). Doormen and front desk people were very friendly, as were bar staff. Actually really like the atmosphere overall.

Although the hotel is hopping and the neighbourhood is all the rage, the street it is on is actually nice and quiet. And if you want a quiet experience, there are two bistro bars on Wellington to avoid the raucous atmosphere of King.

Didn't try the restaurant - I like vegan food and the neighbourhood has lots of options. Also has the Bier Markt with a spectacular beer selection. The menu looked good enough at the diner, with a couple of veggie alternatives, albeit there is a real diner a couple of blocks away with more vegan options and low prices.

Pet Peeves - wifi in room is $15.00 a day!! Ridiculous. Free and reliable in lobby, free but didn't work in rooftop bar. Because of the 24 hour diner I presume, no coffee maker in room. Sometimes I want a morning coffee in bed without having to either pay through the nose for room service or get up and go out. I schlepped over to McDonalds to pay $1.50 instead of $8.00 in the diner or who knows what for room service.

Really though, if you just avoid paying for wifi, parking and coffee the place is really good and I would recommend it. I got a really good deal by bidding on Priceline, so try your luck.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Suzuki267,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. For your future bookings we do offer state of the art espresso machines in our suites as well as complementary coffee in our Lobby from 6am to 9am.
We would love to have an opportunity to welcome you back with us very soon.