“trendy fun hotel”

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #24 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I just stayed the weekend at this hotel with m boyfriend and was fairly happy with my stay.
Rooms were large and comfortable with a amazing patio with a beautiful view of the skyline.
Gym was large and had a lot of options.
Unfortunately it was to cold and the pool was closed, yet the rooftop bar/pool area has a spectacular view of the city! Worth a trip to the top.
One disappointment here was the staffs snotty attitudes. They were not to friendly and very strict was entering with guests. This is not the place to have a hotel party, even though I didn't have one. Yet, nice for a romantic weekend with your loved one due to the great views and bars at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diana182182
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear diana182182

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the beautiful views and our well appointed guest rooms. We do enforce a strict policy whereby only registered hotel guests are able to access our guest floors after 10PM. This allows us to ensure the comfort and security of our Hotel guests.

If you would like to continue entertaining guests we ask that you and your party join us in one of our various Bars and Lounges.

We hope to welcome you back to The Thompson Toronto very soon,

Best regards,

Thompson Toronto

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I am a professional who travels frequently for business and I have never felt the need to post a review for a hotel until after I had what can only be described as a shockingly bad experience at the Thompson Hotel.

A friend recommended the Thompson Hotel as a place for my wife and I to stay for a night out on the town to celebrate her birthday; I now regret that I ever stepped inside this establishment. We checked in early in the evening and asked about the rooftop lounge that was available for hotel guests, explaining that we had some friends who would be joining us later on. We were told by the front desk staff that we would have access along with a few guests if we put our names on the guest list with the concierge, so we spoke to the concierge and added ourselves and guests to the list. Later in the evening when our guests arrived they were rudely denied entry to our room. When I went downstairs to inquire what the issue was I was told that the hotel has a strict policy of no “non-registered” guests allowed in the rooms after 10pm. I have never had this happen to me at any hotel in Toronto, or anywhere else that I have stayed. More importantly however, this issue would have been avoided had hotel staff informed me of this policy at the time I checked in (and clearly stated that I would have guests joining me later). I could have made other arrangements and saved my guests the embarrassment of being denied entry to my room like common riff-raff.

Not wanting to cause a problem, I instead spoke to the concierge and asked whether I could take my guests directly up to the lounge as we were on the guest list. At this point they looked over my friends and stated that since one of them was wearing running shoes, none of them would be allowed upstairs (I will point out that this gentlemen was wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark colored pants; pretty much standard attire for any bar/lounge in the city). At this point I was very disappointed with the service I was receiving as a paid guest of the hotel, but to try and make the best of the situation I asked my guests to wait in the lobby bar so I could go back to the room and bring my wife and other guests down to join them for drinks there.

After some time enjoying drinks and dancing in the lobby bar (which becomes very crowded and is more like a nightclub than anything else) one of my guests was assaulted by a member of security (who was not wearing any type of uniform or name tag to identify him as such) and forcefully pushed through the lobby and out of the building. I stepped outside to find out what had happened and apparently he bounced into the security while dancing and for that he was thrown out. I could not believe the way my guests and I were being treated at this supposedly high end hotel. After pleading our case to have our friend let back in we decided to give up and call it a night, heading back to our room. Minutes later hotel staff burst into our room with two uniformed police officers and told us that since a guest we had brought to the hotel was being hostile we were being evicted from the room! Even though I was a paid guest and was now in my room causing no problems after such a terrible experience I was still forced to leave. I could not believe how poor the customer service was at this hotel. I would never recommend the Thompson Toronto and after that night will not stay at any Thompson hotel ever again.

12  Thank Greg A
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Greg A,

The safety, comfort and security of our Hotel guests is a top priority for us and we take any and all action necessary to see this is upheld.

The only situation which would deem it necessary to escort guests off property would be if said guests were behaving in a manner which threatened other Hotel guests or Hotel staff.

You are most welcome to call the Hotel Directly and speak to myself or our General Manager if you have any further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Do not hold a birthday party at The Thompson Hotel in Toronto if you want to have a good time with your friends. This hotel had the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. I have stayed in many high-end hotels all over the world and have never been treated in the manner that I was last Saturday April 12, 2014.
I arrived at the hotel with my husband and friend, who had kindly made the reservation, since he offered to organize. I informed the receptionist that my husband would be paying for the room and she told me to write our names down on the guest check-in card so that we would be "registered" which I did. I mentioned to her that more friends of mine would be joining us later on in the evening. Not once did she mention their guest policy which is: No more than 1 unregistered guest is allowed in the room after 10pm. I have never heard of a policy like this before and don't understand how an upscale hotel can deny paying customers the right to have friends in their room.
I had to learn of this policy the hard way when friends of mine arrived at 10:30pm, asked to come up to my room and they were denied entry. I came down to the lobby to speak to the SAME receptionist that checked me in and she did not make any apologies for rudely denying my friends entry nor did she apologize for not informing me of this guest policy when I checked in a few hours earlier. On top of all this, some of my friends had brought a bottle of wine and were informed that no alcohol is allowed to be brought into the rooms after 10pm. They were forced to "check" the alcohol at the front desk. Again, this is another "rule/policy" that was not explicitly explained or told to me when I checked in. As a result of their ridiculous "unregistered guest policy" half of my friends were forced to leave and go somewhere else. This made me extremely upset, embarrassed, and stressed and it also put a big damper on my birthday celebration but unfortunately it only gets worse.
The rest of my group that stayed decided to try to continue with the celebrations in the Thompson Hotel lobby bar. It was extremely crowded and busy. All of a sudden, my friend is aggressively grabbed and pushed out of the lobby by security. The security bouncer, who was not wearing a uniform or name tag of any kind, said my friend was a "threat". Why because he was dancing and having a good time?! He literally was kicked out because he was dancing and unknowingly bumped into the security. At this point, my friend is being kicked out of the hotel and any positive energy remaining in the night was completely gone. I brought the remaining few friends into my room so they could get their belongings and head home. As my friends were getting ready to leave my room, 2 police officers, the security bouncer from the lobby and a hotel manager open the door and instruct us to get our belongings and leave immediately. I tried to ask the hotel manager why I was being forced to leave and informed her that the room was registered in my name and that I was paying for the room however she didn't listen to me at all. She simply waved her hand and said, "The person who made the reservation for this room is being evicted and as a result all of the guests in this room are being evicted." I was a registered, paying customer and was being evicted out of the hotel for no reason and with no proper explanation at 3am. To top it all off, the hotel manager had no courtesy to call a cab or ensure that we were getting home safely.
This was by far the worst birthday party I have ever had. My friends were rudely denied entry to the room that I paid for due to "rules/policy" that were not clearly explained at check in time, my friend was aggressively kicked out of the lobby bar for simply accidently bumping the security, and finally the night ended with me being evicted from the room even though I was a registered guest and did nothing wrong. I will definitely NOT be going back to this horrible hotel anytime soon after being treated this way. I will also be informing everyone I know about these ridiculous "rules/policies" that the hotel has to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else on their birthday.

12  Thank Pegah K

Dear Pegah K,

We have beautiful event spaces which are perfect for large gatherings, and I would suggest this would have been a more appropriate choice for your group.

You are most welcome to call the Hotel and speak to myself or our General Manager if you have any further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great hotel with nice rooms with no carpets nice bathrooms and good beds, however no Nespresso machines.
The fitness is average
The staff is super friendly and the Wabora restaurant is really good.
The restaurant is for me just too far from the places I needed to go.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Go100go
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2015

Dear Dutchie_83,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our apologies that the service at the bar was slow and I assure you that we are committed to serving you promptly and ensuring that our guests thoroughly enjoy themselves.

We hope to welcome you back with us very soon,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was refused entry to the room my friend was hosting a birthday party in at the Thompson hotel. The reason I was given was because of keeping the noise level down. This is absurd. My friend was never told of any noise restriction when she reserved the room, and informed staff that she was expecting guests that evening. They said that was fine. Later, when she told staff that we would be heading up to the upstairs patio and not be in the actual room, they still refused us admission. This was extremely upsetting for my friend who was only trying to enjoy her birthday party with her friends and was instead made to feel stressed out and miserable.

Whenever I have stayed at hotels overseas or in Canada, I have never been treated with the kind of disrespect that my friends and I were given at the Thompson hotel. I will never return to this establishment, and I can only hope the management reviews its policy of who is and who isn't allowed into enter their hotel.

13  Thank Colin E
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Colin E,

I am sorry that the events of the evening did not unfold in the manner in which you hopped. While we encourage and promote celebrating special occasions in our Hotel we need to be respectful of all of our Hotel guests and as such we do not allow Parties in our Guest Rooms.

We have many guests in our Hotel, some staying with us on business, in consideration for others we do not and will not condone parties in our guest rooms.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great service.
Only issue is when they take pre auth on your credit card it goes through to your bank and effects your funds available. I travel allot and this is first time it's like this.
It happened to others guests also..

Sort this out Thompson...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CHris H
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Upon check in we do require a valid credit card. When the credit card is presented we take a pre-authorization on your credit card, this is simply a validity check and hold for your room and tax charges as well as a standard amount for incidentals. This will “hold” the amount until the final purchase upon checkout is made. If you have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate to connect with us.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had read the reviews prior to my stay and took the advice to ask for a room on a higher floor due to the loud bar downstairs. But despite that, two complaints about the sleep quality - the closing doors are indeed loud and the HVAC blows air into your face even when you move the slats to face up.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful. The service is very friendly - from the front desk, to the bar, to room service. It's just too bad that it's not a peaceful sleep. Housekeeping does a thorough job. Would've like to stay here again if it wasn't for the sleep quality!

Also, in case hotel management reads reviews, please provide more powerful hair dryers.

Room Tip: high floor, end of hall, away from elevators