“Enjoyed samples and shiny green glass bottles” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 500 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located within walking distance of the CN Tower and Rogers Center, Steam Whistle Brewing occupies Bays 1-24 within the old John Street Roundhouse building, a designated National Historic Site that was previously home to the Canadian Pacific Railway steam locomotive repair facility. Thousands of visitors visit this brewery every year to attend one of the on-site events or take a tour of how the company brews its own Pilsner.
Franklin, Massachusetts
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 313 helpful votes
“Enjoyed samples and shiny green glass bottles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

We received a tip from a local to visit Steam Whistle before the Jays game at the nearby Rogers Center. We did not have time to do a tour, but enjoyed the beer and atmosphere so much, we returned the next day before our second game. Upon entering you receive two free beer sample tickets to redeem at the bar. The samples are not small either. They make and sell only one beer, the Steam Whistle pilsner, which is a high quality beer, crisp and full of flavor that anyone would enjoy.

Located in a restored factory of sorts, the building has retained its old rustic charm, but inside is modern and spacious with wide open views of the brewery. You cannot buy a draft beer here, this is not a bar, only the free samples are available. The bright green logo makes it hard to resist some kind of purchase, so be sure to pick up a six pack or a T-shirt at the gift shop. All beer is sold cold. That is only detractor for those who want to bring back to USA or other distance.

2 Thank NekoCat

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Probably my favourite thing on Toronto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

The tour was a lot of fun - the guide was knowledgeable, energetic and engaged. I found the beer enjoyable, maybe not the best beer I've ever had but very drinkable. The free beer they dolled out at the end probably helped the taste buds. The building is very cool and the company itself is very impressive. The hour I spent at Steam Whistle was definitely the best hour I spent in Toronto.

Los Angeles, California
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 451 helpful votes
“Fun quick brewery tour, but super premium pilsner? I think not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

Having done probably ten brewery tours across North America, I think this might be the first one I paid for. Well, they actually turn it around and say you're buying a bottle opener or a pilsner glass. But I digress.

The tour is short and simple, it's a small operation. A fun hour including the tour and the free beer samples you'll get.

But, I actually thought the beer was totally sub-standard and didn't taste good at all. Pilsners are already the lowest rung on the beer scale (and the "big" beer companies perfected the recipes a hundred years ago), and adding bitterness to it just doesn't work. They should have simply gone with a Lager which is more diverse and customizable. We all found the beer pretty bad, and didn't even drink all we were offered! That - and the price they ask is absurd. I think it's $3 a can when buying it at a store. That makes it the most expensive beer I've ever seen in my entire life.

2 Thank Andre S
Belchertown, MA
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Love this beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

When we first walked in, we were given a beer in a stemmed glass and also a ticket for another beer. There was a tour. The bartenders were very friendly.

1 Thank w_ma_lady
Chicago, IL
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Steam Whistle is worth the trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

Really one of our favorite stops in Toronto! This brewery was started about 10 years ago by a group of young entrepreneurs. It is located inside the historic Roundhouse right across from the CN Tower. The building itself is amazing to see and the tour of the brewery was a treat. For only $8 we got the tour and a few free glasses of beer - plus a free souvenir beer glass. The bartenders and tour guides are all friendly and fun and make the time spent there even more enjoyable.

We actually got to walk right through the offices of the brewery too and saw one of the owners. It's a small operation with a great friendly feel and fun environment. Worth every minute and every penny!

6 Thank webjanet