“Perfect for a one night stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rex Hotel

The Rex Hotel
Ranked #10 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“Perfect for a one night stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I were in town for a Pearl Jam concert and just wanted a nice place to have some drinks and sleep. I book several months in advance as the TIFF was to take place during the same time. The staff were all really nice and were happy to answer all my questions.

The room was small but fine for a one night stay. It was very basic; no clock, no phone, no mini fridge, one double bed.

I would stay here again if we are ever in town!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kdenelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Matawan, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife and I went up to Toronto for a long weekend and to celebrate our first anniversary. I had chosen The Rex for a few reasons: 1) the price was reasonable, 2) the proximity to the entertainment district, and 3) there is a jazz club and restaurant on the first floor, which I thought would be kinda cool.

There was some confusion upon our arrival, since the designated entrance to the hotel is around the side from the club/restaurant. However, when we entered that door, we found ourselves in an empty vestibule. What appeared to be a hostess station was abandoned, and the inner entrance to the main club had us dragging our luggage through the restaurant area to the bar where the bartender checked us in.

The rooms are tiny... a bed, a bathroom with a TV... that's it. No matter. We came to see Toronto, not sit in our room. Went down to the bar to have a celebratory beer or two on our first night in town, but found one (male) bartender in particular to be rather curt and (how should I say this?) unfriendly. When we were settling our tab, there was some issue with our debit card not being able to go through, and the bartender in question returned with his attitude on full display. We passed him a different card and settled our bill without further problems, however this same debit card was used later on the same trip without incident. Not a huge deal, but being our first night in town, it didn't leave a very good taste in our mouth.

We hit the streets to take a walk around and get a feel for the area and do a little shopping. Upon our return, I went back to the bar and attempted to purchase a six-pack of beer to take to the room. I was aghast when informed by Mr. Friendly that they would have to charge me the bar price for each of the six bottles ($6.00 CA) for a grand total of $36 CA. I bought two and went upstairs, only to discover the bottles weren't twist-offs and the knucklehead had failed to pop them open for me. And they were warm.

Overall, I would have to say that my next trip to Toronto will not include a stay at The Rex.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BoneDaddyUSA
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We spend 1 week in this hotel, the music was great... if you plan no sleep until 11:30pm. the room was pretty but it wasn't cleaned every day, neither the bed. We do not expect clean towels every day, but the bathroom cleaning yes, and it wasnt.

Room Tip: Second floor, not in main street.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

After a whole evening spent at the bar of this hotel, they added drinks to our bill that we didn't drink... The bill was at least doubled... At the end they didn't even listen to us... Do not go there!!We got ripped off here and there are plenty other nice hotels on this street. To have a drink you'll have a very nice time on other restaurant on this street!!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Dimiko
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here for two weeks at the start of our year in Canada. On arrival we walked in through the bar which was a bit off-putting but there is a separate entrance for the hotel. We had two different rooms over our stay and both were fine. The air-con is effective, there was plenty of space and the rooms were clean. You can here the music from the bar at night; it's not invasive but it would help if you like live music. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly, booking us taxis, tourist advice and even travel advice. The location is also a key factor with this hotel, you're on one of the trendiest streets with nice bars and restaurants, it took under 10 minutes to walk to the CN tower and you're in the middle for shopping, museums and easy access to the other areas that are worth seeing. This is a fun, friendly hotel in a great location for a great price.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are a bit bigger
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonnyac
Chardon, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

The Rex is an alternative to the major hotels you find in downtown Toronto for sure. It is a small recently remodeled hotel above the premier Jazz club in Toronto. It fit our budget at 119/night (vs. 200+ for all other downtown hotels). The room was small and the furnishings were spare, but it was clean and quiet and the AC, shower and TV all worked fine. There was no coffee maker but a Starbucks was right downstairs. (They provided coffee and toast apparently down at the bar - but we got up too late!!!)

Check in was interesting because there was a line waiting to get into the club and at first we stood in the line with all of our bags, but I barged in straight to the bar and they got us squared away quickly!

The people there couldn't be nicer. They had maid service and the club itself was fantastic with a little outside area where you could eat and drink and still hear the music, but you didn't have to pay the cover charge.

Stayed during busy holiday weekend - Canada Day, July 1'st and 2'nd which was also the weekend of the Toronto Jazz Fest. We loved this little place. It was truly a find. The location couldn't have been better. We parked our car ($10/day) and left it there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edjChardon_OH
Chatham, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

When I booked a room two weeks in advance they promised me a 2 night special price, of course when I arrived, by myself, with nowhere else to go, they took advantage, which seems to be the common theme of downtown hotels in Toronto. They charged me over $100 more than promised on the phone and with no choice, I paid.

When I went up to my room they seemed as if they already hated me due to my Montreal Canadiens coat, they treated me poorly until I paid them. They told me that there would be a complimentary breakfast tomorrow morning, which I thought would be good since I overpaid for the room that was extremly small, it was about a 3rd of the size of my apartment bedroom which is quite small.

The tv was tiny, though HD, it was for some weird reason 2 thirds way up the wall near the roof, and it was un adjustable to to put down to a normal level (about 4 feet lower) which was har don the neck. The bed was clean, the bathroom was very clean with a very very nice designer style shower/sink.

However due to the tinyness of the room it was hard to move without hitting something. The location is great, right downtown...unfortunatley it's accross the street from some rather unsettling businesses (if you have kids, dont let them look out the window) like "the condom shack".

Anyway in the morning I went down for my 'complimentary' breakfast, it was the most delicious breakfast I'd ever had at a hotel before...with a catch. As I walked back up to my room they stopped me and yelled across the bar that I had better stop and pay my bill, treating me as if I were some type of dine and dash criminal, embaressing me infront of a few people in the restaurant.

I asked why they lied to me and they said that the guy yesterday was simply telling me there was breakfast served in the morning, not that it came with the room. Which is BS because I specifically remember him saying "show them your room key so they know you're staying here and they wont charge you.

Synopsis: the rooms are elegant and up too date, as is the kitchen, the rooms have a powerful heat/air system that is also modern day (which is rare in most hotels). The rooms are also surprisingly quiet and though the jazz music downstairs is loud and annoying it stops at 12am every night which I found respectful tot he customers. However the crazy confusion of prices and non-exhistant complimentary breakfast is too much for me to say the least, this place may be classy in appearence but when you get down to the cost it's simply this: you will overpay at least $200.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business