“A little rough around the edges”
Review of The Rex Hotel

The Rex Hotel
Ranked #9 of 118 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We only stayed for one night whilst on a stopover on our way to Niagara Falls. The staff were very friendly and gave me a map of the local area, along with some tips on where was cheap to eat and drink.

The hotel room was quite small but not too the point of feeling uncomfortable. We were on the second floor and even though there was a very lively bar and music scene downstairs, we couldn't hear any noise from our room.

There were some decor issues such as paint missing where fixtures had been moved in the room and paint flaking off in the hallways. Although you could probably argue that this adds to the charm and character off the venue, it did make the hotel feel a little cheap.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hicksy77

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was my second stay at the Rex. I stayed three nights this time, in part, so I could see the Lorne Lofsky Quartet play two of the nights. The location is perfect right in downtown Toronto. When you are watching a jazz quartet that doesn't start until 21:30 and plays until after midnight, in a bar, it is great being able to walk up a couple of flights of stairs to your room and bed. The rooms are basic, clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and, although there wasn't an additional blanket, the room heater/air conditioner was easy to use and was quiet. The only real noise comes from emergency vehicles going along Queen Street that you would still hear in a much more expensive hotel. The staff are all very nice. I had a problem with a clogged shower head. I told Bob and it was replaced the same day. The breakfast is wonderful. All three mornings I had eggs over easy, peameal bacon, home-fried potatoes, toast and coffee all for $5 each morning. Can't beat it. I also ate dinner there twice. First night I had a very nice grilled trout with steamed vegetables for $12 and a good lamb stew the next night for $9. I would gladly stay at the Rex again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank momyces
Reviewed 7 November 2013

It's a perfect place for music loving travelers. Everyday live performances happen on the ground floor. All the standard drinks are available and food is also fine. Location is also very good. Excellent value for money place. After tiring office day, when one is enjoying the drinks and music; best part is that you don't have to go outside again to enter your bedroom.
People not so much into music may find it loud to have musical nights everyday, but I loved it.

Room Tip: Take top floor for quieter sleeps.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pradeepaswal
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We came across this due to a Hotwire booking sale. We were looking for something close to the AGO as we had an invitation to David Bowie Is Exhibit opening. We did not want to have the car and worry about parking and this was walkable enough.

We checked in just after 5 pm and had to check in at the bar which was busy. Check in took a bit longer due to that. I believe the entire place was an old mansion or so and converted to a Jazz Bar, Restaurant and Hotel. If you have lots of luggage, be prepared to lug it up the stairs.

We requested a room furthest from the bar to avoid hearing the bands at night as seen on reviews here. We inquired about a bigger room, but did not bother as it was for one night. What was interesting were the doors to rooms we passed in the hallway and communal washrooms along the way. We couldn't figure out if those were dorm rooms for rent?

The room is smaller than average. They've done a good job with updating and renovating the features inside. Our room was facing Queen St and there was a gap in the a/c unit which allowed some noise to come in. The blinds are built into the window and does a great job keeping light out. The bed a double bed and was okay, considering we haven't slept in one since our early 20's. The pillows could be better though. The toilet space is on the tight side if you are tall and wide like myself, otherwise washroom is very functional. Definitely reminds me of my Euro trip last year.

Toast and coffee during breakfast is complimentary, so we decided to check it out. We had dinner also, which I won't review at this time. We decided on ordering breakfast special and omelet dish, $5 and $8 respectively, which includes coffee and toast. We were being served by what we assume was an exchange student from a Nordic country and was new to being a server. The food was better than expected and the server was definitely sweet and had good intentions.

Value is definitely a factor in coming back here and the location is hard to beat. We would come back if we want to be somewhere interesting and different for a quick overnight in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Value!!! Location. A comfortable bed. Friendly accommodating staff. The Rex Hotel and Jazz Bar.
We stayed 6 nights. We were in room 114 directly above the stage- and yes- we could hear it all. All the way until 11:30-1am some nights. But it was great! We liked the music, the night life, the hustle and bustle about the whole facility.
We booked on an online site that features William Shatner. I researched prior to booking, looked at pictures, reviews and their website. I knew going in it was an older facility, that it was small and that the rooms were VERY simple. The cost and the location were exactly what we were needing.
Upon check in- we had been assigned a non remodeled room. It was TINY, run down, the window overlooked into a storage room (why?) and the bathroom was so small, my 6'1" fiance couldn't sit up straight sitting on the toilet without his shoulder hitting the sink! (BTW- you need to elect to have a room with a bathroom, otherwise you only have a sink and use the shared bathroom in the hallway)
We knew that 6 nights in this depressing area would take it's toll on us. In my research I had seen rooms with remodeled bathrooms and cleaner spaces. We asked about them- and for an additional 10 a night we were able to upgrade. We were so glad we did!
The rooms have dimming lights, a/c, a bed (full size) and night stand, four pillows, a decent bathroom with clean towels, and a television. There isn't a closet (typically) but there are coat hooks and a few hangers, and a few shelves for your stuff. We requested, prior to check in, an iron and board, as well as a hair dryer and they were waiting in the room for us upon arrival!

We were in town for business AND pleasure. And I must say- The location was Perfect!!! A few blocks down from city hall, a few minutes to the "touristy" areas in any direction, and really close to subways as well.
The restaurant was a nice in house perk and the neighborhood was full of options from late night eating, convenience shops, coffee shops, as well as chain shopping stores to independent shops. I really must say that the location absolutely outweighed the tiny, barely basic rooms.

Downsides..... the noise (which didn't bug us too much) Queen St has a fire truck/Ambulance sirening down the road at least once an hour. Naps... difficult. But, in a major city- so noise is expected.
Another downside... the little bits of uncleanliness. From the large amount of mildew hidden in the grout of the shower, the toothpaste splatters on the walls, the dirt and dust in the window sills, to the Large amount of DUST bunnies under the bed. There was no remote control for the television (which they tried to remedy for us by giving us one from an unoccupied room but it didn't work-not a big deal to me) AND the sheets/pillowcases had holes/tears/small stains in them. (but seemed clean)

I would stay again. I know what to expect. I loved the location. The price reflected the location/quality of the facility. And the staff really was great.
Thanks Rex! Maybe we'll see you again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leahgkeenon
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I was not used to a hotel room smaller than my small spare bedroom, however this was not really an issue when you looked out the window and could see the fantastic view of the CN tower with all the old Toronto buildings in the forefront, very juxtapose!
Cons: needs art on the bare walls and a full length mirror to open the very tiny space(there was just enough space for a double bed and a small night stand and a metal shelf for setting luggage on) the mirror would really assist with getting ready for the day/night.The bathroom was dim lit so the tiny mirror was not really usable.
Have to pay to see the night music act ,It would have been a real bonus if it was included in the $120.00 room.because if the night show was like the day show this place has amazing music!!!
Pros: Right in the middle of everything fun.Great night vibe in this area of Toronto.
Walking distance to everything, coffee shops, bars, pubs, china town, kensington, open markets, shopping both eclectic and department store (Winners)
When we checked in the live music was amazing and energetic! The hotel invited us to sit and enjoy the show while the ensured the room was ready and made up for us to stay in.
Surprisingly quiet, if you closed your windows, very sound proof.
Happy friendly staff, free wake up coffee and tea down stairs.
The pros out weighed the cons. If you are looking for a room with a large king size bed, a dozen types of pillows, fridge,chairs, tables, bath and lotions this is not for you.
If you are looking for a place to rest your head after a day/night of really getting to know Toronto's roots, if you like great people, great food, great music and a great time then you should truly stay at the Rex because it has it all!

Room Tip: Book a room with a bathroom:)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed at the Rex for 3 nights while I was in town for a work conference. I had called in ahead and let them know that I was going to arrive late, no problem was the response as the Jazz club will go until about 12:30am. When I did arrive, sure enough, there on the reservation card was a note, late check-in. The room that I had was 225, cozy is the polite term but small is the true term. The room was a twin/queen bed with not really much more room than a couple of feet to work around it, a TV in the corner up on the wall, a night stand, and a very small work space with a fold out chair. The bathroom was very well done and appears to be recently remodelled, large glass shower area, stainless steel basin that looks almost industrial, nice tile work. The room was perfect for what I needed, a clean place to sleep while in town at the conference and all of my stime being taken up while at the convention center. If you need a large desk/work space along with a minibar, larger dresser with drawers, a sitting area along with a closet that includes an iron and ironing board, or daily maid service, this is not the place for you. I have no complaints about this property, the location, the service, or the cost. I was speaking with one of the staff about the blinds in the window. There appears to be a lot of thought into the renovation of the rooms, triple glass to block out the street noise, I was facing right onto Queen but the noise was not unbareable, black out blinds to keep it dark, working inside of the window, very smart. The nice touch about coffee and toast each morning for breakfast was simple and included, if you wanted a larger meal, the cost was only $5. The location is half a block from the Subway, the trolley car goes right past the front of the hotel, even thought I was right above the bar/lounge, I never heard any noise. As others have mentioned, the owners and staff do a great job in welcoming you as their guest, the property on the whole is older and is not traditional for a hotel, but for a couple of nights at the price for an adventurous traveller, The Rex makes a lot of sense. A nice touch is the free wireless internet that is password protected.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business