“'Hidden' Toronto Gem”
Review of Lula Lounge

Lula Lounge
Ranked #12 of 268 Nightlife in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: For a decade now, Lula Lounge distinguished itself as Toronto’s home for groundbreaking Latin, Jazz and World Music. Our audience reflects our programming - The crowd at Lula is one of the most diverse, friendly, and multi-generational and multi-ethnic crowds in the city, what ties them together is love of music, having a good time, drinking, dinning and dancing!Friday and Saturday night Lula presents the city's top Salsa bands, Djs and Dance Instructors. The friendly beginner's lesson is great way to break the ice, no partner necessary. For a great night out the $49 package is recommend, it includes a 3 course dinner.Sunday's from 11-2 there's a Family Cuban Brunch with Lice Cuban music, a brunch Buffet and Dance Class. Sunday through Thursday evening you can experience anything from Chamber Music to Blues, Spoken Word to Tuvan Throat Singers, South Asian to Goth, check out ww.lula.ca for the schedule!
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I was looking for a unique place to celebrate a birthday and stumbled upon Lula Lounge. Everyone who attended had an amazing time! It so happened that the day of the event was the day we were blasted with a huge winter storm....the staff was extremely patient and understanding with the number of phone calls confirming and re-conforming reservations and plans for the evening. We were a group of nine - and did not stop complimenting the atmosphere, entertainment and food. The atmosphere was not in any way pretentious, the entertainment was lively and full of musical emotion (the Jazz band, the 12 piece Cuban band - Black Market and DJ), and the food (from appetizer to dessert) was delicious.
Our server was a delight all night long - very polite, attentive and timed the service perfectly! We never once felt rushed to finish your meal because they wanted to clear the table. Both bands and DJ were also phenomenal. There aren't many places you can visit for dinner, dancing and entertainment combined with great service and a good time. Lula's made a special night extraordinary.

3  Thank Ellena A
There are newer reviews for Lula Lounge

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I took my boyfriend out to Lula Lounge for his birthday on Fri. Dec. 21 and we had such a good time! We each got a 3-course dinner and everything was delicious. I had a fish plate as my main course & he had the steak. We both loved it (and believe me, my boyfriend is picky!) and the homemade desserts were amazing.

They had a reasonably large and decently priced drink menu, and even though we didn't order wine the list looked good.

They were quite busy, but our waitress was really on the ball and super friendly. She delivered our drinks and food reasonably quickly and was just a pleasure all night long.

This alone would make me want to go back, but I can't leave out what really made this whole excursion worthwhile - the live entertainment. There was a phenomenal 4-piece jazz band who played for about an hour during dinner (sorry, can't remember their name), followed by an entertaining and not too difficult beginner salsa dance lesson. Then the lights went down and a huge, probably 10 or 11 piece Cuban salsa band called Cafe Cubano got on stage and totally blew us away. We're not normally salsa enthusiasts but we were on the dancefloor for practically their whole set! The DJ that came on after switched it up a bit and ended our evening with some more typical top-40 dance tunes, which we're a bit more accustomed to.

While it wasn't dirt cheap, for the amount of great food and entertainment we got it was more than worth it. We paid $49 each (I think the steak dinner was a few dollars more) for two 3-course meals, 2 live shows, a DJ, a dance lesson and great memories! After drinks tax and tip I didn't even break $200. For a night out in Toronto - not bad at all!

6  Thank adele K
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was at Lula Lounge on November 2nd 2012, I was there for a dinner and show. I'd like to say that the line up went fairly quicky. I was warmly greeted and someone asked where my friend and I would like to sit and took us to our table and promptly signalled the server to come to get our drink order. The service was great, drinks arrived quickly and food came out pretty fast aswell. Nice lighting, washrooms were clean and the bar was nice. Good layout. Once again, the service was great! I'd definitely recommend Lula Lounge to anyone and i'll definitely be going back.

4  Thank TorontoMikeyB
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Lots of Latin places these days don't have many REAL dancers. This place isn't one of them! The only catch is that most of them are already partnered up or in a group and dance amongst themselves most of the time. Ofcourse there's alot of guys looking to pick up - however most of the lone wolves aren't great dancers. Atleast 4 out of 9 guys that ask you to dance will be pretty decent dancers. Unfortunately this is a good ratio compared to alot of latin dance clubs.

Mostly Salsa - lots of Cuban salsa rather than the colombian that most places play lately. There's a live band most of the time too.

3  Thank KikaRiKKa
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I through an bachelorette party at Lula Lounge last night, and it was amazing from beginning to end. The staff was knowledgable and accommodating, so our planning was really easy. Our waitress was fast and got our orders right. Our food was amazing! Mushroom caps, steak and chocolate cake! Mmmm! The Salsa dancing lesson was fun and easy to follow. It was challenging, but I still felt like I could keep up. It was really nice to see a mix of beginners and really great dancers together on the dance floor. Everyone was welcoming and we came home with one very happy Bride! Thanks Lula Lounge! Can't wait to come again!

4  Thank LisaB8man