“A Great Museum of Natural History in a Spectacular Building”

Royal Ontario Museum
Ranked #4 of 501 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is among the world’s leading museums of natural history and world cultures. In combining a universal museum of cultures with that of natural history, the ROM offers an unusual breadth of experience to our audiences from around the world. We realize more acutely now that nature and humanity are intertwined, and the ROM offers many examples in its collections and programs of these fundamental relationships.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Hamburg, Germany
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“A Great Museum of Natural History in a Spectacular Building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The ROC is always worth a visit, not only because of the intriguing Daniel Liebeskind architecture of the addition (which, from a "useable" space point of view, wastes a lot of pointed corners ...) and the beautiful incorporation of the original building. The collections are probably unique in Canada and display exhibits from the vast expanse of this country, beginning with dinosaurs and ending with Native Canadian arts and artifacts.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Huge and interesting museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband described this museum as "the Smithsonian of Canada" because of its size. We spent over 4 hours inside and we still didn't see everything that there was to see.

We were impressed by the sheer number of exhibits and the variety of them - everything from ancient Egypt, to dinosaurs, to First Nations. I found the exhibits to be very well displayed with a lot of information attached to them. If you want to learn about the entire world while you're in Ontario, this is the place to go!

My only complaint is that since it's the Royal Ontario Museum, I felt like there should be more about Ontario in it. We have been to the museums in British Columbia and New Brunswick and both places had a lot of history about those specific provinces. I found the history of Ontario to be practically non-existent and the Canada section was pretty small. That is the only thing I would change though. I guess I just feel like if a museum has "Ontario" in its name then there should be something about Ontario in it! Aside from that though, its an excellent museum. We were overwhelmed by the size of it, and I would definitely recommend taking an entire day to visit - you'll need the time!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Brooklet425
Quebec City, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Interesting museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a world class museum and definitely worth a visit when you're in Toronto. The admission prices for the permament exhibits is a reasonable $16 and it's not impossible to spend a whole day in the museum. They museum doesn't particularly focus on any area but has pretty good geological and dinosaur exhibits. We paid the extra fee for the Mesopatamia special exhibit and I'm not sure it was wortht he extra $8 or so. I saw the original exhibit at the British Museum and the ROM mostly borrowed a few clay tablets and status and put them on display. The exhibit is well laid out leading you through Sumer, Babylon and Assyria but much of the exhibit relies on printed displays rather than on artifacts. Overall it's a fun day for people of all ages.

1 Thank TommyTickles87
Indianapolis, Indiana
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A must-see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is a wonderful museum. There is a bit of everything, from natural history, to cultural history, to a little modern art. I went with all adults, but there seemed to be a number of kid-friendly activities as well.
We did one of the tours, and I would highly recommend it. The times are posted just inside the entrance. There is no sign-up or fee required. Our tour docent was friendly and knowledgeable. The tour lasted about 50 minutes. We went through many parts of the museum, hitting the highlights. It was a great way to get a general sense of the place before going back to spend some time with the exhibits that we found most interesting.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“interesting museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great place to visit and lots to see. The museum was very well organized and five floors of things to see made it a bit overwhelming!!! I stayed to viewing only the "old" side of the museum and i still did not get to see half of it in the 3 hours we were there. Beautifully displayed and organized.The dinosaur exhibit is very popular, esp with the kids. When we went it was also freezing and by the end I felt like a popsicle so bring a sweater. Two places to eat made it very nice. I plan to visit again.

Visited March 2013