“In need of refurbishment”

InterContinental Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #14 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“In need of refurbishment”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Convenient location but thats the only nice thing about this hotel.

As a IHC member I wanted to stay here so I can keep up my loyalty points. I have stayed at this hotel on 2 separate occasions. In Summer 2012 and also in Feb 2013.

The staff were friendly and helpful. On my first stay I was upgraded to a larger room which was nice.

However the hotel is in desperate need of renovation. Carpets, the lobby, the rooms, the bathroom and facilities are all very dated. Rooms have a stale cigarette smoke smell although was told I am in a NON smoking room.

WIFI was not connecting when I was in my room unless I stood directly by my room door!

All in all I love IHC but would definitely try another one of the newer hotels when am next in town.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Bloor. That was you can see the CN tower and other attractions in the distance.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jamal I
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Jamal l,

Thank you for providing us with your very valuable feedback pertaining to your past stay at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay with us was anything less than perfect. Your feedback is truly appreciated and will be utilized in our continuous improvement efforts.

As mentioned we are always striving to improve our products, services, and facilities. I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again to see firsthand the enhancements the hotel has undergone since your last stay. Recent improvements include a renovation to our second floor meeting space, renovation to the lobby, and guest room décor and furnishing updates.

Simon Antoine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

What a great place! We were upgraded with our room, which was lovely! We enjoyed free appetizers and wine and a complimentary breakfast! We were treated very well! It made the getaway very memorable! We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, worth asking for!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathi L
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Kathi L,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay at the hotel. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and that we were able to accommodate your room upgrade request. Please don’t wait until Mr. Stewart is back in town again to visit the hotel, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back much sooner.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I have just spent a great weekend at the Interncontinental-Yorkville. Very welcoming staff, starting the valets, Clement at the front desk who was most pleasant and very helpful in helping us find places to go visit, etc...; Fabeanna, who booked the quickest tour ever for us to catch... ; Jaysen who was extremely pleasant and helpful. Very nice staff at the "signatures" restaurant.
When we first arrived at the hotel and when to our room the temperature was so high, it was like being in a sauna. We called the front desk and like every hotel they say "we'll send someone right away". So we laughed and got ready to leave because the room was too hot. Literally 5 minutes later, the electrician knocked on our door and fixed the temperature. that was amazing. Quickest service ever. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Our room (841) was facing the museum, could not ask for better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Deedz M,
It was a great pleasure to read the review of your recent stay at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and I will be sure your kind words reach the team.
Looking forward to your next visit!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had reason to stay five nights at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville in early March and it was the most enjoyable stay I've had in luxury hotel in Toronto in recent memory. I typically stayed in downtown Toronto to be near the financial sector. No more. The distance is not that great, and is more than made up by the excellent facilities, terrific restaurant, great service and proximity to Bloor-Yorkville shopping, dining and museums. It was a welcome refuge from a busy week of meetings.

Room Tip: The north side was quiet, but not much of a view in March.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear JMSmall,
It was wonderful to read that your most recent stay, was a pleasant one. I was very happy to hear that even with a busy week of meetings you were able to make time to enjoy our facilities and tour around beautiful Yorkville.
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We really liked this hotel - it was a good location and the rooms were nice. The only complaint is that the lobby was cold with no protection from wind and cold in the seating area. I know it was winter but still - it needs seating off to the side. The staff are very pleasant and helpful and as an IHG member, we received free standard wi-fi, which was very good and we did not need to upgrade to the premium. Love having the subway half a block away, especially on cold weather.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the third floor. It's right over the conference rooms and if there is a party...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hoosiergrandma1
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear hoosiergrandma1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your very valuable feedback with us through TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that the temperature in the lobby was less than satisfactory. The furniture placement will be reevaluated in hopes to optimize traffic flow, as well as climate control.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, hopefully during better weather conditions.
Marlboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This excellent hotel is centrally located in a city with much to do and see. However, the real bright light at this property is their "Chef Concierge", Ms. Carolina Avaria. I have never met a more knowledgeable, helpful and delightful concierge in all my 35 years of travel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gHenryl
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear gHenryl,
Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville during your most recent trip to Toronto. I was thrilled to read that Chef Concierge, Carolina was the “bright light” of your stay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next journey to the city.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My good friend's parents was visiting from Germany for her birthday and she asked for hotel recommendations. So as a Platinum Ambassador member for IHG I recommended them some IHG properties especially the ones that I have great experiences with. I recommended them IC Toronto Centre and Crowne Plaza Niagara as I have stayed at these properties multiple times and never been disappointed gave them 5/5 here and their website and some forums. Since they wanted to stay in Bloor area to visit ROM and Panorama Lounge and check out the stores around I recommended IC Yorkville. They all stayed at my hotel recommendations. This was my first time in this location.

So I booked all the hotels and contacted the hotel about it, as I will not be with them during check in but possibly arrive late. I told them to not change anything and that they can charge everything from my CC. The other hotels were outstanding in this regards! But with IC Yorkville, was a different story!
Here is what I did to try to make my friend's check in as seamless as possible.
1) In my reservation, I indicated that my friend will be checking-in for me as she will arrive first I live just a bit outside town and sometimes need to travel around.
2) I went to the hotel, IC Yorkville on a Sunday and talked to the front desk to inform my situation and it was fine and she even put a note on my reservation and the name of my friend that will be checking-in and again I told her that there is no need to change anything when she arrives and I even signed all the papers required.
3) I know someone that knows someone in IC Yorkville informed on the possible situation. Then this person emailed me back just to confirm then I emailed the person back. I never heard from the this person then days later someone else "responsible" emailed me confirming and CHANGING the reservation to my friends name since I wasn't staying in the hotel and all, I understand that if I didn't stay. Without asking me first they automatically change the reservation right away because I'm not "staying there". This caused chaos!
The worst thing is this person emailed me at the day of the reservation! So first it would be "too late" to cancel if I wasn't happy with the situation. Talk about last minute, I even called but never got an answer. I emailed the person that I will be there but late and don't change anything!
4) My friend checked in they were a bit confused and the front desk wanted her Credit Card. Again information was supposed to be "prepared" already.
Then she asked about if the room was upgrade the front desk automatically said no since "you were only recommended by an Ambassador member". Not a big deal as this was already resolved, but still.
5) I arrived at the hotel later in the evening THANKFULLY the lady that was helping me on Sunday was there and remembered me! She checked and EVERYTHING was changed! The room registered too and my information gone from the reservation pretty much. So she helped rectify the situation and she actually made my annoyance much better, as far a customer service go she was excellent and was very apologetic. Because of her I "might" stay or recommend the hotel again. Also it was enough to put a 3/5 for service instead of 2/5
or 1/5 and just enough for an overall rating of 3/5.
6) Most of the hotels I stay at, I always try to give a review (IHG Hotel Website, Trip Advisor and some travel forums) as it helps other people to see what others have to say, some people complain more than give praise usually. So I emailed the hotel "Management Team" about my experience and I have NEVER got a response from them. The other hotels that I've stayed (IC Toronto Centre, IC Budapest, IC Guadalajara and CP Niagara to name a few) and I always get a response regardless if the review was good or bad, of course most people want to hear positive things. I'm a Process/Continuous improvement professional and I value people's perspective as ways to improve things thus making the company money or saving the company money. I'm sure the hospitality business is the same.
I guess since they didn't want to deal with it, they didn't bother responding and that I'm just another person that doesn't matter, so this is where social media comes in handy. If I post this in the IHG Website this may or may not be posted especially mention other brands which is also understandable.

I tried my best to cover all the bases but it caused chaos and confusion. This was my gift/treat to my friend and her parents. Since I was with them and I have an Elite status, which was very important for late checkout since their flight was late in the afternoon.

Ironically I have another friend and will get married later this year in Niagara. She asked me for hotel recommendation and I recommended Crowne Plaza Niagara for about 30 rooms. Her parents from Germany and maybe some relatives will be staying in Toronto and just asked me for hotels to stay, I've already gave her my suggestion, IC Toronto Centre.

I'm a loyal IHG member and if I'm in a city that has a Holiday Inn (If no IC) and Sheraton or Marriott, I'd rather stay at the HI, regardless if it's for personal or business, but still depends on the situation though. I'm also a member of Sheraton and Marriott but not the same level as IHG.

That being said...
The hotel is very nice and I like the decor, its small compared to the other IC around the world but since this is a boutique I don't expect much such as a Club/Lounge, but still very nice. The rooms were very clean and spacious, bathroom is big. Location is great, close to key places and parking wasn't as expensive as IC Toronto Centre.

Other than the unsatisfactory service, my friend and her parents were still very happy. I hate to disappoint them because of my recommendation.

I might give this location another try sooner or later. Especially I'm participating in IHGs "Big Win" which I'm on track to finish 100% of the requirement. I like that they offer 5000 bonus points which counts towards my Elite status, when booking Best Flex rate with this package (+$25).

Room Tip: Depends if you want a view of the ROM or Bloor then you ask for the "street view" however...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear BRAI79,
Thank you for taking the time to share your very detailed review of your recent stay at the hotel, though it troubled me to read of your experience. We have reached out to you via e-mail to discuss your experience with you in further detail.