“Excellent, reasonably-priced hotel in the heart of the business district.”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #40 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Kearny, NJ
“Excellent, reasonably-priced hotel in the heart of the business district.”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was extremely happy with the winter special of just 102 dollars per night plus tax for a decent room, and upgraded to the 122-dollar option with a refrigerator and a lot more space. The location is on Yonge Street just south of King, where you are closer to the center of the business district than many well-known financial companies, and where you can alternately walk a few blocks to the waterfront which has been nicely restored in recent years with close-up views of the harbor. The staff is attentive and knowledgeable, and the maid service is of a very high standard. This is the second-oldest hotel in the city, and has been intelligently renovated to keep the best of the century-old details while providing modern benefits like free high-speed wi-fi. I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Toronto.

Room Tip: Pick the eighth (top) floor if possible, and get the largest room available.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank StevenJonKaplan
Steven J, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Hi StevenJonKaplan. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Victoria. I am pleased to read that you found our staff helpful and our maid service of High Standard, we pay very close attention to the cleanliness in all areas of the hotel, especially our guest bedrooms. We are happy to see that you will defiantly stay with us again. See you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel was perfectly located in the heart of the Financial District, easily accessible from Union Station and right on Yonge Street for a short walk up to the shops and Dundas Square. It's one block from the Hockey Hall of Fame and just round the corner from the nearest Metro station too (King St).

Location aside, the decor, cleanliness and ameneties are not to be faulted. We were impressed with the modernity of our room and the shower was the best I've used on holiday for a long while. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. Although breakfast wasn't included in our stay, the "Over Easy" cafe on site made an easy choice every morning for breakfast and was a great place to eat.

I'd recommend the hotel to anybody staying in Toronto, we loved our time here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Ebalch. Thank you for offering a review of our hotel. We are indeed in a perfect location. We have just recently renovated the lobby as well as the guest bedrooms. We are currently planning our guest corridor renovation as well. Make sure you have breakfast included in your next stay,just ask one of our friendly staff to have your rate include breakfast. Love that you loved your time here, come back and visit us again soon!
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Since I stayed in Toronto for 5 nights, plus reservations way in advance, I got good rates.
The staff was friendly, and I would recommend it highly if you don't want to spend a lot of
money on hotels. It is very close to Hockey Hall of Fame, and the Main Toronto Train
Station. It is close to a 4 story shopping Mall (Eaton Center), and In walking distance to
the CN Tower and Blue Jays baseball stadium. The bathrooms were clean and a good
size. Don't even think of smoking in your room, they will charge a hefty penalty on your
credit card.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear of the building are quieter. Yonge Street has a high volume of traffic.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Hi EWWWusthof

Thank you for including the Hotel Victoria in your travel plans. I am happy to hear that you found our staff friendly. We are in a great location for whatever brings you to Toronto, Hockey in the winter, baseball in the summer and the theater all year round. I know the ice machine is not in an ideal location. We look forward to seeing you soon....
Annapolis Valley, NS
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Spent 5 nights at the Hotel Victoria and I don’t think we could have found a better located, clean, friendly hotel in downtown Toronto for the price. We had an economy room on the 8th floor. The room was not large, but large enough for us to get around comfortably, even with our suitcase open, and the bathroom was a good size compared to the room. The room came with a single cup coffee maker, a desk, flat-screen TV, and wardrobe with iron and board. The only two negative points were the lack of drawer space and the view of the brick wall from the single window (however, when you’re only 8 floors high and surrounded by 20+ floor building, what can you expect!).

The reception desk staff was friendly and accommodated our few requests, i.e. arranging transport to the airport ($55 for private car), storing valuables in hotel safe, and answering various questions. My wife and I would not hesitate to stay here again, it is so well located on the Yonge Subway line and streetcar routes, plus everything is within easy walking distance. We look forward to our next visit to Hogtown and our stay at the Victoria.

1 Thank Valleyguy2008
Steven J, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi Valleyguy2008, thank you for including the Hotel Victoria in your travel plans. Our location is fantastic and ideally located for all major attractions. I will pass along your comments to our reception staff, we pride ourselves in guest service. We look forward to having you back. Contact us directly and we'll arrange an upgrade to a larger room that faces Yonge St! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future....
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We had a great stay recently at the Hotel Victoria in Toronto. The staff was very helpful and even got us a car for a 3am departure! The bedroom areas are small, but very clean and quiet. Surprisingly, the bathrooms are good sized and this was helpful. The location couldn't be beat as the hotel is right in the middle of the financial district and close to everything. The hotel also had great rates which made our trip quite affordable. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The higher floors are more newly renovated.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Ellen K. It is so nice to hear when our guests have a great stay! I am thrilled that you found our staff very helpful. 3am departure, hope you were going on a great vacation! we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We will not be returning to Hotel Victoria. The location was nice but there are plenty of hotels in the area. Fortunately we had unseasonably warm weather so the 10 minute walk to the parking garage was pleasant or I know I would have been grumpy by the time I got back. The staff was professional but certainly not friendly. We appreciate coffee as soon as we wake up and the single- serve pot was ridiculous. We were only give one pouch of regular coffee and our request for more the following day was ignored. That in itself is enough to send me elsewhere. Dealing with our luggage at the end of our stay was frustrating. We both left knowing that we would not be returning.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
2 Thank Nellieat4
Dear Nellieat4 Thank you for choosing the Hotel Victoria.

I am sorry to read that your stay did not live up to your expectation. Have addressed your concerns of staff friendliness, this is surprising as we get rave reviews about our staff. I have also addressed your remark about not having more coffee delivered to you when you requested. Please feel free to contact me as directly as I would love the opportunity to have you visit us again so that may exceed your exceptions.

Steven Jones
416.363.1666
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I was thrilled when I won a free night at this wonderful downtown Toronto hotel. I was somewhat familiar with the historic Hotel Victoria since I've stayed a few times before. I phoned to book a date and was dealt with by Peter. He was friendly and welcoming.

I knew about the lack of onsite parking and did not require a car since the location is so central and convenient. It is a short walking distance from Union Station and many attractions. I am 62, so when I say walking distance, I mean it. There is parking nearby if needed.

My daughter and I arrived at 2 p.m., too early for check in, and wanted to store our bags so that we could shop. The wonderful desk clerk, Erskine, told us we were welcome to go ahead and put our things into the room since it was ready. Our room was on the 5th floor, small and lovely. It was stylishly decorated, very clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom. There wasn't much of a view but didn't care since we weren't planning on spending our time in the room staring out of the window. The hotel is smoke free and smelled fresh. Because of the modest size and the historic elements of this hotel, it does not have every convenience a larger, newer facility might have, however, any potential needs are addressed in the hotel information guide found in the room. We had a question on check-in and when we returned later in the afternoon, Erskine had resolved it in a more than satisfactory manner

Although there is a subway stop available near the hotel, we found the walk to the Eaton Centre for shopping to be quite short. ***Note to visitors...We discovered that "The Bay" gives a 15% discount to non-locals. We showed our Hotel Victoria key and saved quite a bit of money.

There are varied dining opportunities nearby from fast food to gourmet. After a leisurely dinner, we returned to find Brian, at the front desk of the hotel. He was knowledgable and helped us with directions to a major grocery store and gave us advice about nearby entertainment. Again, all was in walking distance. In the morning, we had breakfast at the onsite restaurant "Over Easy". It's open from early morning until 3 p.m. The menu included both breakfast and lunch items and was good value for the money. We checked out and were not yet ready to go home, so we appreciated having our bags stored gratis until we were finished with our city adventures later in the day.

Hotel Victoria is a terrific choice for people attending concerts, sporting events and shopping. Unlike some larger city hotels, it does not give you the feeling of being impersonal. The staff does their best to be polite, accomodating and helpful without appearing pretentious. This hotel is excellent value for the money. I wouldn't stay anyplace else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hi Hildetoronto...........Membership does have some privileges. I was thrilled to read your glowing review. I will pass along your remarks to Peter,Erskin & Brian. Great tid bit for future guest regarding 15% discount offered at the Bay. We like to have the home away feel, make everyone that come through our doors arrive a guest and leave as part of the Victoria family. We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future.