“Great location, good value, clean, friendly housekeeping staff”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #40 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Canada
“Great location, good value, clean, friendly housekeeping staff”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel rooms are small as typical of a downtown, boutique hotel but comfy for a couple. Location is excellent - close to subways, the indoor PATH that takes you to so many landmarks; the rooms are clean; and the housekeeping staff very friendly. Rooms are quiet considering that this is in the heart of downtown Toronto. We did not experience any great inconvenience with having to park our car outside the hotel for a few minutes to unload and register at the desk.

Areas to improve: Front desk staff needs to smile more and be more welcoming, except for Luther who was really helpful and friendly. Our bathroom had some minor maintenance issues like a loose toilet paper holder, sluggish bath tub drainage, toilet that back ups occasionally, and some caulking repair around the tub. We reported the problems and the staff was very responsive.

Overall, will definitely stay here again, for short trips.

Room Tip: Ask to be located on the side rooms away from Yonge street and elevator, even if these rooms are sma...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lena5209
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Leena5209,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, we appreciate all guest feedback as it allows us to learn from your experience with us. I am happy to hear that our overall stay with us was an enjoyable on. I do apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced during your stay but happy to hear that we were able to resolve it in a timely matter for you. I will pass on your kind words to Luther and the housekeeping staff. Thank you again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We visited Toronto with our infant son and stayed in a room on the top floor. The reception was very friendly, solicitous and exceptionally helpful with moving all our luggage and baby gear. The location is phenomenal. The room we had was well-decorated, extremely comfortable, big and clean. The hotel itself has a historic art deco feel to it with none of the drawbacks of an old building. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stamatia P
Dear Tina P,
Thank you for the kind review. I am pleased to hear that the reception staff was able to assist you with the moving of your luggage. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping department. Thank you again for the review and we hope you will think of us the next time when you are in our great city of Toronto.
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We arrived on a Thursday for a concert. There were 4 of us in our party. When we arrived it was only 12 noon, and had no problem getting our room. Reception was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and spacious. They gave a map to my husband for the parking lot and was only 3 minute drive and a 7 minute walk back. Parking was $14.00 for 24 hours, pretty good price in TO. My husband and I had a room with 2 queens and was lots big enough for us! Our friends had a king room and was also very nice. I loved the fact that the floors were bare wood! No ugly stained carpet! A nice change from most hotels! Fantastic location! Walked to the Aquarium and back, then later walked to Real Sport for supper and to the ACC CENTRE. GREAT LOCATION!
Room was very comfortable and warm. We had been reading reviews and it said not to get a room on the road side? We did and had no problem at all. Would defiantly stay here again, and also would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KdkPortugal
Dear kdkvenice,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am happy to hear that your stay with us was a pleasant one and we were able to meet your needs. You are correct, as we do not have our own parking we do provide a map to the lot we suggest and it is within walking distance back. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our front desk agents. Thank you again for your review and we hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've stayed at many hotels in Toronto on business trips that I pay for myself. So I was happy to have everything I needed, no creepy carpet or bedspreads in this spare room with free wi-fi. This is a no frills hotel. This hotel does not provide room service meals or in house restaurant, It is close to good restaurants though. My room had no view but it did have a window so I could let in air and light. You can pay extra if you want pay per view movies, otherwise, you get basic cable which is fine for daily news. It is close to the subway and major streetcars, right downtown so many destinations are walkable.
There is a breakfast restaurant with standard breakfast fare and bad coffee. Convenient if you're not fussy.
My room did have an annoying design flaw in the tiny bathroom, allowing the shower to leak all over the floor, needing many towels to mop up after.
Staff was friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Sandra M
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Sandra M,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that the room suited your needs during your stay with us. We do offer complimentary Netflix access in our Business and Deluxe rooms rather than the traditional pay per view movies for each room. You are correct we do not have our own restaurant. While the onsite restaurant, Over Easy, is only open for breakfast and lunch there are many wonderful food options around us. I do apologize for the maintenance issue you experienced with your shower during your stay. Thank you again for the review. We hope we will be able to welcome you back during your next trip to Toronto.
Wingham, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I must admit that I was slightly disappointed with this hotel, but mostly because it wasn't what I was looking for. Feeling slightly tired of the "same old, same old" downtown hotels, I was hoping for something more charming and with a historical type feel. Unfortunately, this hotel is way too modernized to achieve that. I won't complain about the size of the rooms, because that is one of the only things that links this hotel with it's charming past. The room did have a couple of older features (crown molding), which authenticated the fact that you were in a hotel that was built in 1904, but nothing much beyond that. With that being said, the room was clean, comfortable and not a bad price for a downtown location.

No parking was a bit of an issue, and I knew this going in. I didn't think it would matter, but if you had any amount of luggage then four city blocks might be more than you'd appreciate...especially in the winter.

I agree with other reviews about staff hospitality. Just not good! We walked in and were blatantly ignored by two staff members on the front desk for about 10 minutes. One was obviously on the phone (understandable). The other was doing something on a computer (obviously not reading TripAdvisor reviews about the lack of courtesy) and didn't so much as look up and acknowledge us or let us know that they would be with us shortly. This would not be a tough thing to do. When they finally did recognize that we were in the lobby, they were as friendly and helpful as they needed to be...giving no real answers regarding early check-in or anything else that we asked.

All in all, the stay was okay. Would I stay there again? Probably...but I wouldn't make it my first choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janice W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was apprehensive about the size of the room after reading reviews. We had a room with 2 queens and it was very large, with lots of seating space. Perfectly clean and really comfortable beds. Great location - 8 minutes walk to train station and 15 minutes to shows. Only negative is the glass door to the bathroom - you can see through it when the light is on - not so fun when you are travelling with friends!

Room Tip: if you are bothered by noise, ask for a room not on the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank PamG8458
Dear PamG8458,
Thank you for writing this review we love hearing guest feedback after checkout. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping department. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back when you are in Toronto again.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel itself was beautiful and our room was lovely. We were only there for a night. The added touch of the iPod dock and free netflix was a very welcome bonus. We were there to see a show so it was the perfect location. And just across the road was an awesome burger place! Hero burgers I think it was called.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chieraa
Erskin L, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Hi Chieraa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit with us at the Victoria. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I was even more pleased that you found the added touch such as the Ipod dock and free netflix added to your enjoyment of your stay. I'm glad that our location was a benefit to your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in our wonderful city. Thank you.