“Housekeeping concerns”

Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Dartmouth, Canada
“Housekeeping concerns”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here for one night on business in mid October. I originally booked at another hotel close by at a much lower rate, but changed to here as my colleagues were all booked here. Kind of wished I had stayed at the other hotel and walked/cabbed it back and forth.

It's too bad really, as the staff I encountered, the food and conference facilities were all more than fine. The cleanliness of the room however was not. Now, I admit I had just watched the latest episode of CBC's Marketplace on hotel cleanliness and kept telling myself I was being overly sensitive. But then I heard similar stories from my colleagues who were stayed in various other parts of the hotel, so I can't even give the benefit of the doubt to the fact maybe I just had a bad housekeeper, it seems to be an issue for this property overall.

Some examples from my room - at the desk, the phone had "something" on it you could see and definitely feel when you hit some of the buttons. Ugh. Then the microwave also had something on the handle - these were not smudges, they were three dimensional. Then I turned on the light and actually some type of splatter on the wall. And this all in one area of the room.

The bathroom wasn't that much better, there was a long hair stuck to the middle of the mirror (definitely not mine). So in general it just left me with an overall ick factor, and imagine my horror when I dropped my contact lense on the floor.

Will I stay here again? Most likely not when there are so many other great properties close by at better rates.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear BGKM_NS,
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I apologize that your room was not serviced to your expectation. I can assure you that the cleanliness issues that you have written about are not the norm, nor are they acceptable. In fact, we have always received high scores in the cleanliness department. We tend to score lower on decor and condition; although these will be addressed with our upcoming renovation.
I have forwarded your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper to review with the team as we take all cleanliness issues very seriously.
Thank you again for your time.
Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was a nice hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. It is close to Ripley's Aquarium and the CN tower. We actually walked to those sights which was nice. There are a few restaurants in the area but this is not a hopping area late at night. Most restaurants closed relatively early. It was cool though that you could have a drink at the bar and watch the game at the same time!

Room Tip: Try to name your price at Priceline. I feel like the rooms are a little overpriced otherwise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
LaSalle, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

While there are no shortage of hotels in the area, you will be hard pressed to find one with such a friendly and "eager to please" staff as you will get here. From the minute you pull up to the moment you leave, this hotel has the best staff !

The staff go above and beyond to ensure you feel comfortable and patiently answer any questions you may have.

I have stayed at other hotels in the area, but have yet to return to one of them unlike this hotel where I will continue to visit when I am in town.

Room Tip: If you don't like to walk far off the elevator, the staff will gladly get you a room near the el...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank DVR64
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I really like this hotel. My family, friends and I stayed for one night. My room faces the CN Tower - what a view! My parents' room faces the inside of the Blue jay stadium - what a sight! I can imagine how much fun it'd be if the games were going on right when we stayed. What a concept really. The room is clean. The hallway is a bit scruff up. it is a long walk from the main elevators to our rooms. they should put in another set of elevators really. there's refreshment every day in the lobby - fresh fruits, water or hot cider. the staffs are friendly and helpful. My room is a split level, the bed/tv is on the higher level than the desk & bathroom. The size of the room is big and comfortable. Our sheer curtain is a nice touch but it wasn't working properly (can't close the curtain) but the black-out ones work fine. We would come back again.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like, CNTower view room was nice, but if the game is on, asks for the room with...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aimz78
Haliburton ontario
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel was selected for me when I ( for the first time) used the Priceline.com website where you name your own price....Our total cost for this room was $110 total after taxes. Thank you to the very friendly check in clerk named "Till" When I told him it was our first time here he immediately asked if we would like a two level suite over looking the field.( I actually didn't know this hotel was inside the Rogers Centre.)I thought he was trying to get us to book a more expensive room but he said it would be no additional fee he just wanted us to have an upgrade to welcome us because we were first time visitor. The room was a split level with the lower leve being the bedroom and the upper level a sitting area with bay window to enjoy what ever was happening on that day. There was no event but it was still really neat to have the experience. The bed was super comfortable ( we like soft ) nice sheets, duvet, bath robe included, glasses instead of plastic cups, very clean , bathroom had lovely shower head...very quiet room, two flat screen tv's, over all very well maintained room and hotel in general...We will certainly come back in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank schnoobs
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a convention nearby. The location was fantastic and the rates were very reasonable in comparison to other hotels in the area.

Check in was very quick without much wait.

The room was huge with a large bathroom as well. The bathroom was a bit dated but you could tell that the rest of the room had been recently updated. It was very clean. I did not have a field view room… actually the view was quite terrible (part of the roof and the ramp to the highway) but I wasn’t there for the view so I didn’t care. Despite being right downtown and its close proximity to the highway, the room was also surprisingly quiet.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again when I need to stay downtown Toronto.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank K G
London, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We booked this room on Hotwire, then were amazed to find that our room overlooked the football field at the Roger's Centre, formerly Skydome. I'm not sure that the view would be worth the $500 the room would apparently cost were there a game on, but it was pretty neat to see the view even without a game. (But not for all that long ...)

Basic room, good bed and pillows, comfy chair and reading light. No complaints, but nothing outstanding. Certainly a nice location near the theatres on King Street. Excellent hot tub and pool - virtually empty!

Room Tip: There are also "city view" rooms; we needed three nights, and had no choice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple