“Great stay”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Location is key, and this hotel is in a great location. Service was great, our room service came in good timing, and food was great. No complaints! Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall great pampered night

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great hotel with a great location.
Staff are friendly and made our stay a very comfortable one.
Food was amazing and service outstanding.
Arriba restaurant and Lounge has the most awesome view!Always make a reservations for a window table.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HarryPotter8877
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I recently stayed an overnight at the Renaissance Toronto and had a comfortable if average stay.

Check in 2/5
Hotels really should make an effort to make the check in process as engaging as possible. This is the first impression one gets from the hotel and it can set the mood for the rest of the stay. Unfortunately for me, the first impression was souring. As a blind traveler I got out of my cab in hopes of flagging down a doorman to assist me to the front desk but none were around. I made it to the front desk however and when I brought this up the clerk there she simply laughed it off and said he was probably busy. That’s’ fine but an “I’m sorry” would have been better. The clerk then proceeded to check me in. When she was done, she handed me my card keys, probably pointed towards the elevators and bid me a goodnight. Now I know she probably doesn’t come across too many blind guests but her lack of awareness and offer for any “assistance” really put me off. I simply refused to take the card keys and told her what I required. Another person then came and escorted me to my room. Even here there was no effort to tell me about the restaurant options, or where the recreation facilities were. Needless to say I wasn’t a happy camper during check in.

Rooms 2/5

At first I was given a mobility accessible room by the lackluster receptionist downstairs. The staff member who had escorted me showed me around and it was apparent the room was substandard. There was a really low bed that creaked, and lots of surfaces lower than one expects. I guess they figured blind, in a wheelchair it’s all the same to them. My disability is not physical but sensory and I do prefer a traditional room. Besides they really should not give these rooms away unless absolutely necessary in case someone with a wheelchair actually requires one. I have to say they did move me to a regular room higher up afterward with a queen size bed.
The room was okay but lacked any true closet place to put clothes. The bed was very comfortable but the fan was very loud. I used it to jack up the heat otherwise the room got very cold and it was minus 10 that evening. The desk at least had a desk level plug in for ones devices. Overall it was fine and the woman assisting me did point out various things. Still, one would be hard pressed to stay more then a couple of nights due to the fore mentioned lack of closet space. The bathroom was standard and it all seemed clean.

Food 4/5

I had two meals, a dinner and breakfast both via room service. The room service prices were very reasonable and there were no surcharges added. I did have to ask for someone to read the room service menu as it was not posted on the hotels web site. The staff came through however and I have no true complaints here. Even my dinner tray was taken away promptly. My rate included a $50.00 f/b credit and so dinner and breakfast were picked up by the hotel. The man delivering my breakfast fussed a little more then was needed for my liking but again, the blind thing. Yes I’m blind but I think I can pour my own milk into my cereal. Staff needs to realize once the guest says “thanks” nothing else is required, that should be it.

Facilities 5/5

The renaissance has a gym and pool as well as a whirlpool. It hosts Physiomed a medical clinic where one can get massages and other treatments. I found the best therapist here which made up for a rocky check in. I didn’t get to use the pool or gym but they sounded great when the medical centre’s receptionist explained it to me. I plan to revisit the clinic and have another amazing massage.

Service 3/5

Apart from the check in process I have no real complaints. Still, some training would not be a miss in regards to dealing with guests with disabilities. Staff overall was helpful and the duty manager did assist me in checking out and finding the medical clinic as well. As mentioned before, first impressions make a lasting effect and since my initial contact was less then stellar, it just tainted my stay slightly. I should say the medical centre staff were a solid 5/5.

Conclusion

It’s a nice hotel; connected to a stadium “The Rogers Centre” one can watch baseball games from some of the rooms here. It is in fact a selling point of this hotel. I do recommend the hotel if you are into sporting events or want to stay in the downtown area of Toronto. You really can’t go wrong for the above reasons. I do find it odd that Marriott International ranks Renaissance branded hotels above their signature brand, that of Marriot Hotels as I find The Marriott Eaton Centre downtown a better hotel then this one. Still, it was pleasant and I was comfortable and walked away with feeling great after my massage.

Room Tip: Make sure its comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sexy69
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great location for a concert at Air Canada, within walking distance. The service was outstanding, and they even upgraded me to a suite since I'm a silver member. The room was very nice. And surprisingly, this was one of the cheapest hotels in the area!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were unlucky to be badly affected by the icestorm in Toronto just prior to Christmas, and after 3 days with no power our building was shut down on Christmas Eve. I was able to secure a room for me and my husband and our 2 cats with only 2 hours notice. At a time where many business could have jacked up prices to make the most out of a bad situation, the Renaissance were sympathetic and absolutely went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The staff were very friendly and the room was perfect for our needs.
I would highly recommend this hotel to other people looking for a pet friendly environment. Thanks you all once again :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela L
Reviewed 22 December 2013

On a recent visit to downtown Toronto I chose the Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel due
to it's proximity to the locations that I needed to attend too.

From making the reservation, to the check-in process, to the lovely room I was accommodated
in; my visit was flawless.

The hotel is only steps away from Toronto's newest attraction Ripley's new Aquarium which
was breathtaking.

I would highly recommend The Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I do a regular (twice a year) business trip to Toronto and always stay at the Renaissance. The Hotel has everything I need for a business trip, great beds which make for an excellent nights sleep, plenty of room to relax, comfortable baths. As usual they delivered on these but what is outstanding is their staff! Everyone who works there is outstanding, helpful and friendly. It's like home from home and made the business trip seem like a holiday! Great place to stay and a big thank you to all the staff, especially to Terri, Katrina and the rest of the team when I had breakfast.

Room Tip: People look for rooms facing the dome but they work either way.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business