“The view from the room was awesome”

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Nanaimo, Canada
“The view from the room was awesome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

check in was fast, staff were very friendly and helpful. Especially the front door man, The room was very large and furnishings were average. The best part of this property was the fact you could watch the Blue jays game from your room, otherwise it was very very average .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave N
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for submitting your review. I am pleased that your check in was fast, and the team welcomed you. The location is ideal for sure, and we are now working through the phases of our renovation. I hope that you will return again to experience our updated look.
Best Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Checked in on April 9-12, Was very fast process and a friendly front desk clerk. We stayed in a King Suit, the room was pretty big and clean, the extra space was nice but I would stay in a regular room for a cheapier price, same style room but ours was bigger, nothing fancy. The room was in a quiet wing at the end of the hall. Lots of walking to and from the room. Free coffee in the room which they filled daily and if you require more there is a station set up in the lobby for the hotel guests. This hotel was in a great spot to and from most locations in the downtown area. Eight minute walk to the Air Canada Center and a twenty min walk to the Eaton Center Mall, the CN Tower was very close and Rogers center was just a short walk around the corner to go to the ball game. I would recommend the tour of Rogers Center ($16.00), took about an hour.
If I had any thing negative to say is that while I was waiting in the Lobby there was so many non guest using the public washroms in the lobby.

1 Thank vinceday1
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased that out location met all of your needs, and that our team took care of you upon arrival. I am delighted to inform you that we are undergoing renovations currently and will soon have a fresh, updated appearance. I hope that you will return to experience our new appearance.
Regards,
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed overnight on a short trip to Toronto to watch TFC play and visit the aquarium. I picked the hotel for it's great location to the waterfront and downtown . Price was important we just wanted a inexpensive place to stay. I was surprised though for the price we paid the hotel was exceptional. The door man was very helpful when we arrived and took care of parking our vehicle for us. The staff at the front desk are extremely efficient and very pleasant we checked in and out very quickly. The appearance of the hotel is very good and everything is kept well maintained and clean. Our room was a good size and very well kept and the bed was great to sleep in. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was very enjoyable there is a good selection and the food was very fresh. The staff here are also very polite and helpful. We would stay here again.

1 Thank YorkshiremanOntario
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I spent the night here for a mini-vacay. We chose it to get a view of the skydome and for its proximity to the train station and attractions we would be visiting. We paid for a regular room and asked for an upgrade when we checked in. Because the jays game had finished, there was no extra charge to get a field-view room (normally $100). The woman who checked us in was very sweet and helpful. Although we were unable to catch a game, there was a crew setting up for a 'meet the players' event, which offered surprising entertainment for us :) We had room service for a late night snack and breakfast the next morning which was expensive, but its room service... the food was quite good, but given the location of the hotel, i'd recommend venturing out of you want REALLY good food at a better price. You should be able to find something for anyone within about 3 blocks.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha M
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We booked the hotel through Priceline and sometimes will receive "less service" as a result, but not so at this hotel. From the time that I called to inquire about an early check in until our checkout we were given excellent service. I asked for a view and received it. When the front desk staff saw that I was using a crutch to walk she asked if they could get us a room closer to the elevator. Very good location in the city.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the city view, but I'm sure that overlooking a baseball game would be a lot of fun!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 553Kathy2014
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for the Jays/Yankees game in a stadium view room. We were celebrating a special occasion and we received a complimentary upgrade to a stadium view suite and there was a bucket of cold beer waiting for us when we entered our room, along with some balloons and a very nice handwritten card from the duty manager, Asghar Nawab. When we were checking in at the counter he came over and personally welcomed us to the hotel, which was a very nice touch. Even though we were checking in right before the Jays game started, it was very quick and seamless. We pulled into the front of the hotel and valet was right there to greet us and welcome us to the hotel. The hotel was very clean and fresh smelling. The room we stayed in appeared to be recently renovated with new carpet and fresh paint. Bathroom was in excellent condition. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and did not smell like bleach like most hotels. Room service was very fast and very hot food and really friendly room service attendant. It was a bit pricey, but then again, it's to be expected. If you can't afford it then don't order it. It's Toronto, it's downtown, it's inside a stadium...of course it's going to be expensive!
I can't understand the negative reviews posted on here and some of then seem to be really nitpicking. We were here for the Jays/Yankees weekend and we saw absolutely no drunk people in the hallway or partying or making noise, etc. Besides, if you don't like noise then you shouldn't stay at a stadium hotel on game day...simple as that. We had a perfect stay and were overly impressed with the staff. We stay at a lot of different hotels and this one is definitely at the top of our list. We woul

1 Thank CallaLilly2004
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here for Jays opening weekend 2014. We had the King bed suite stadium view for the Friday night game, then switched to a city view room for the Sat night since we were going to watch the Saturday afternoon game inside the stadium instead of from the room. The stadium room had a fantastic view. We were on the 4th Fl right field side. This was my first time and lucked out with the view. If you are booking a stadium room make sure you ask for a room that is in line with the scoreboard/jumbo screen. When looking around the field, we noticed some rooms were recessed behind the upper tier seats and I can't imagine those views to be as good. There was no mini fridge in our stadium view room, which was disappointing, but we made it work with loads of ice from the ice machine. Room was clean and comfortable, but dated. Only issue was the rowdy drunk fans that roam the halls late at night. After 30 minutes of annoyance, we called the front desk and they said a security guard would be on the floor for the rest of the night, which worked, but wish I called earlier. I'm sure this is common at this hotel and I wish they would be more proactive to have security in the halls at all times instead of waiting for a complaint.
When we needed to switch rooms on Saturday, the hotel was very organized, we spoke with the front desk in the morning, they took care of transferring our luggage, left to go to the game, and picked up new keys. Very easy and accommodating. Highly recommend this process to save a few bucks if staying more than one night. Only downside to the new room was that it was at the end of the hallway, opposite of the elevators, which is an annoying walk, its like walking a quarter of the circumference of the stadium. The place does look like it could use a renovation, but it didn't bother me, it was clean and functional. Staff is great and helpful with giving advice on tourist sites, directions, and sent a FedEx package on our behalf. The business center was a rip off charging $2 for a photocopy, but I paid it out of convenience. Would I come back? For the stadium suite absolutely, just next time I know to complain earlier about noise. In terms of the second night, I would try the Intercontinental instead. It is right next door to the Renaissance, the Sat night cost per room is cheaper, and it might be a little nicer. If both turn out to be equal in quality and price, I would keep the second night in the Renaissance for convenience.

Room Tip: Stadium view, king size bed room 470 was great. I would ask for the exact room again in terms of fi...
1 Thank Philip S
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Philip S,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your stay. Your comments truly are appreciated. We deploy extra security on event nights to assist and respond to any noise related concerns. Our guests' comfort and safety are priority and we want everyone to enjoy themselves. Given the layout of the hotel, it is not always possible for security to keep an eye on all areas, but they respond efficiently when a call for assistance comes through. That being said, we do have rooms in quieter areas.
I hope that you will choose us for your next stay in the city. We are capable of providing a quiet night stay, even on an event day. I may suggest calling and speaking with a Manager after making the reservation to share your preferences.
Best Regards,