“Strange”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I travel to Toronto at least 4x/year and always choose 4*+ hotels in the downtown area. I honestly can say that having previously stayed at the Hyatt regency, Sheraton and king Edward among others, I would never choose to stay here again. First, the room, while it had a nice view, was dated, very small, and at the end of a very long series of hallways (literally the longest walk from an elevator I have ever experienced). This alone is not the end of the world, and not a deal breaker (although inconvenient with a child in tow, and felt a bit unsafe being so isolated and right across from a fire stairwell), but the carpet in the hall has such a strong odour that I have had a headache by the time I got to my room almost every time. The room itself is clean, but sparse with no artwork and a very lumpy bed. To be fair, the lady at reception did say the hotel was full, so maybe I just got a last chance room (the fraying rug and lack of a full length mirror or any mirror outside of the bathroom was also sub par for a 4* hotel in my opinion). Tonight after traversing the hall, I found that my key didnt work. I called down and asked them to send another up (having a lot of bags I didn't want to go down and up). feeling nervous about waiting in an abandoned isolated hallway next to an empty stairwell, i waited for the bellman by the elevators for 30 mins before calling down again only to find out that they had taken a stairwell. Again, not their fault, but overall, it has not been a good experience overall.. Definitely not as relaxing and serene as I had hoped this weekend would be. The best thing I can say for this hotel is that the staff are very nice, which is important, and the Only thing that stopped me from complaining in person.. frankly none of it is their fault. The maids in particular are helpful and friendly. It's not a horrible hotel, but not for me, and I am SHOCKED that anyone would give it a 4 or 5 star rating. Frankly, I wish I wasn't booked in for another two nights. (Hotwire, so admittedly I got it for a somewhat reasonable price.. Probably wont use Hotwire again either though, because this hotel just doesn't meet the standards of the comparables.. And the location, while close to the skydome and cn tower, is not as convenient as some of the other hotels in terms of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Amandaleeri
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Amandaleeri,
We appreciate your feedback as it only helps us to improve the hotel. Despite not being able to meet your expectations as far as the decor and quality, I am always pleased to hear that the staff were kind and helpful. As we work through our renovation, areas of the hotel have been upgraded and refreshed. I hope that you will return to give us another chance once the renovation is complete throughout. I am certain that we are able to exceed your expectations.
Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have had the absolute pleasure of staying in some of the finest hotels around the world. Of course, I also stayed in not-so-fine spots but that's another story.
Some are fine for certain reasons and I try to illustrate why I thought it deserved 5 stars.
Sometimes, the hotel isn't perfect as it could use some work in certain areas but there is also something so incredible about it, that it pretty much overshadows the flaws.
Renaissance Toronto at Rogers Centre is not perfect at all but what you get for where it's at is
mind blowing.
Granted, I only stayed one night but I absorbed a lot since I was paying a lot. I paid a lot since I chose to get a room with the ball park view. It's been a dream of mine to stay in one of these rooms for a game ever since Sky Dome opened and I learned there was a hotel built into the stadium with that view. I don't believe there is anything like this in the States where I live. As for the room itself, the furnishings are on the average side. The tv is a generous size so kudos for that but I thought the rest of the interior would've been lavish to go along with that serene view.
I'll get back to the view soon enough.
The service was good, I liked the staff. They were helpful. I was granted an extra hour for checkout. The cafe downstairs also has a view of the field but you can't hear much since there is no window. That could actually be a good thing since most would like to dine without stadium crowd noise. The breakfast buffet was alright. I didn't tour as much on the grounds as I would have liked to since I had to dart to the airport. From what I gathered, I don't think that this hotel appeases one specific traveler. I believe it's great for family, solo travelers, couples, and the elderly. That's hard to pull off.
The location of this is probably second to none in Toronto. We're talking about the heart of downtown overlooking Lake Ontario and next to CN Tower. Not to mention it's a very short walk to Air Canada Centre and Union Station. You can not beat that!
The location has tremendous influence over my rating and of course the unique view from the room totally puts it over the top. If you ask me would I give it a 5 if I didn't have that view then I can't give you an answer. You have to keep in mind that I wouldn't have paid half as much if my view was of something other than the ball field. I realize that most people who are reading this would not pay as much as I did for this premium room so it doesn't apply to them. But for that reader, if for some reason you want to treat yourself or splurge for just one night, make sure you come when a game is playing and book this room. It will be an unforgettable experience simply because there is really nothing else like it in professional sports. By the way, the window in the room opens so if you want to hear the noise in the stadium, you have that option. If you close it, it's near sound proof. Of course you will hear some of the music or whatever is coming from their P.A. system but it's reasonably quiet for the most part. No disappointment there. Very rare that I give a 5 but I made the right call and it was the centerpiece of my Toronto vacation. I stayed somewhere cheaper the other nights I was there- lol

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the baseball field but remember, you will be paying through the nose!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank urban_kowboy
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here for three nights while visiting family in Toronto. Upgraded to a HUGE King Suite with a view of the CN Tower. My 10 year old thought that the best! Hotel staff very friendly and professional and attentive to our needs. Ate breakfast and one dinner in the hotel restaurant. Food was very good and they were family friendly. While our room was comfortable and clean, some upgrading and renovating to freshen and modernize the interior is due. Finding the parking garage was tricky at first, however we never had any problems finding a spot to park. (There was construction going on and a large area of the garage was closed).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MuppetWrangler
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was a great hotel within walking distance to so many attractions. We attended Blue Jays games and were very impressed to be so close. Check in and out was quick and our room was wonderful. Very clean and not noisy at all. Bed was comfortable, we stayed 4 nights and were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BBecker2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

You came from a two nights stay at the Renaissance Downtown Toronto and two be honest I was a bit scared to stay there because of the reviews but I'm glad I did. From the moment we walked in we were greeted and welcome check in was quick and easy, got free wi if because I'm a silver member. Till took great care of us he did our check in and informed me of the free wi fi, also we asked for late check out and got it with no problem. I absolute loved the location too closed to everything we walked everywhere. Thank you so much to Till and to the renaissance toronto staff for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank fatulita10
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Check in and out quick. Good location right next to the CN tower. Good breakfast and room service very quick. Definitely the best aspect of this hotel is getting a room overlooking the baseball field. Would highly recommend upgrading to one of these rooms as it made our stay. Room was very spacious & clean. Staff were good and as we were on our honeymoon we got chocolate covered strawberries & sparkling wine in the room which was a lovely gesture. Overall had a great stay and would revisit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a baseball field view if you haven't booked one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CEL1232014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

check in was fast, staff were very friendly and helpful. Especially the front door man, The room was very large and furnishings were average. The best part of this property was the fact you could watch the Blue jays game from your room, otherwise it was very very average .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave N
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for submitting your review. I am pleased that your check in was fast, and the team welcomed you. The location is ideal for sure, and we are now working through the phases of our renovation. I hope that you will return again to experience our updated look.
Best Regards,