“Make sure you ask for the right room”

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Tolland, Connecticut, United States
“Make sure you ask for the right room”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

gTruth is this is a GREAT hotel with a wonderful location. However, you can get stuck with a less then stellar room... as we did. The location of our room overlooked the railroad tracks and this was by far the noisiest room I have ever stayed in! Give the price, it was most upsetting. However, if you push for a room overlooking the stadium I think you will be very pleased. We made up for the lousy location by spending most of the night in the hotel bar! Great place to see the ballgame and have several beers. Be prepared for the parking fee though... $70 for two nights!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I checked into the Renaissance hotel and was welcomed by Katherine who was delightful. She explained the amenities of the hotel, and after checking to see if my room was ready (I arrived a bit early) told me that a room upgrade was available and booked me into it.

And was it an upgrade! I walked into the 2 story room to discover that the window looked out on Rogers Centre (home of the Toronto Blue Jays). So not only did I have a great room, I was entertained by a baseball game that took place out my front windows.

The bathroom was large and well appointed, the bed extremely comfortable. The room had a large desk area, and for a moderate charge, WiFi internet at a reasonable (for hotels) speed.

My stay was made memorable by the great service and of course, because I had never spent a hotel night in a baseball stadium! My only disappointments were that the home team lost and that after the game the stadium cleaning crew came in using blowers (like leaf blowers) and steam cleaners that required me to use ear plugs during the night.

Room Tip: If you're lucky enough to get a room overlooking the stadium on a game night you may need ear pl...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the downtown Toronto Renaissance. My room had a view of the Blue Jay's game from high above the center field wall. The price of seeing the game was the room cost...great deal! If you time your stay correctly, you’ll be able to watch both teams go through pre-game stretching and batting practice before the stadium is even open to the general public. The room itself was nice & had the feel of a Luxury Sky Box with a bed. I will sure be staying there again as my travels take me back to Toronto.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although I live in Toronto, I had a conference downtown and decided to stay at the hotel for convenience - WOW, was it ever, the hotel was close to where I had to attend the meetings and parking on-site helped as well.

From the time of check in to room service to check out, every interaction with the staff was super. They've been trained well to take care of the clients. The staff went the extra mile even when they didn't have to.

Would definitely recommend and stay again if opportunity arises.

Room Tip: Ask for city view room if a baseball game or event are on :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
ft. lauderdale, fl
Reviewed 27 May 2014

stayed here four years ago. Very friendly staff as last time. Great room, nice breakfast buffet. Good location away from the downtown traffic. Would highly recommend, especially if you are a baseball fan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Troy, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I drive 7 hours to watch a redsox game once I got there I found out central reservation screwed up my booking ,,.i told central reservation I wanted a view of the ball game and like to see the jumbo torn well what I was told by the front desk is that I could get a room but it would be $460 more money, I said your the ones who screwed up and I'm being charged additional money ,,I asked to talk to the front desk manger ,,,WHAT A MISTAKE this guy comes charging at me telling me there is no more rooms over looking the game and he's not giving me any upgrades,,,,I told him the clerk just told me I could get one for $460 I then asked him for corporate phone number to see what they could do and because I was being treated so badly by him,,,corporate was worse this girl said they have one room left do you want it I said ok she puts me on hold come back to me and tells me it was sold and then said I shoulnt have gone over the mangers head I let her have it and told her I'm at the hotel and this was all of 3 minutes they new I wanted the room,, she said this isn't my 1 st rodeo and you should have taken the room she then hung up on me ,,,I then had to find a room and we had 2 CHILDERN with us ,,,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 09952
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear 09952,
Thank you for re-posting your feedback. We have reviewed. As promised after your first submission, we continue to work with our reservations to ensure that everyone is clear on the stadium view availability. I would like to assure you that our efforts to improve through training and communication continue.
Regards,
Andrea Copeland
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Pretty good hotel overall, I had a room with a view on the baseball field ...but there was no game ...lol .... anyhow, Still well located and as long as your room does not give on the rail track side you will enjoy.

The bar / restaurant was nice, their Nachos and chips were great !!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business