“Downtown Access”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were in Toronto for a Blue Jays game and whirlwind tour of the downtown "entertainment district" Fabulous venue. The decor is 1970's in the restaurant and lobby areas but the room was modern and clean. Remember the train runs within feet of the hotel, however, little noise was heard. Easy access to all the tourist events and venue's in the area, CN tower, Ripley's Aquarium etc. Many good restaurants are within easy walking distance as well. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the Rogers center ball field. Great view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I wound up staying here for a baseball game, as I am sure many of you reading this will be or considering. That is probably the saving grace for this hotel, or maybe to its detriment, the reason it is allowed to be dated and shabby. Positives: room was clean, bedding was modern, rugs were good. Negatives: BATHROOM and feel. The bathroom was in need of rehab, marble that looked rotten, bathtub that had mold in the caulk, and a drain that was left out in plain view when I arrived. In addition the lighting recepticles and some fittings in the room looked like they were there the day it opened I stay at Marriots regularly and expect more when I stay a Renaissance. This hotel clearly does not meet that standard and if were not next to the Rogers Centre would need to step up its game...speaking of the game, I had a package that included tickets and wound up getting two rooms and asked for four tickets in a row. Instead I got two pairs of tickets two rows from one another. The hotel blamed the Rogers Centre, but if this they have a relationship to offer this type of package there should be communication to ensure a seamless guest experience. A lot of $$$$ for what wound up being spent for a subpar experience.

Room Tip: Request something not facing train tracks, which are right next to hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Rogerroy1974,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is very important to us in our ongoing efforts to improve our product and services. I am pleased you enjoyed the baseball game. We are undergoing renovations. As part of the process, we will be addressing bathrooms. These are yet to come. I will follow up with our Guest Services team regarding tickets and establishing prior to arrival seating preferences. Tickets received from Rogers are in pairs unless we know in advance that a group requires extra tickets or groupinigs. I apologize that we did not know your tickets for the two rooms were to be together. I understand how this would have taken away from the experience.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Overall, it was an amazing view of the Jays game as we brought our family to watch and enjoy the game. Once we checked-out, I only handed a fellow the keys and away he sent me. I did not sign anything else. Two days later, I received an email bill and noticed a $6.78 charge for the water in the room which we did not even touch. It's an insignificant amount but the principal is that we were charged for the water that we didn't drink. Maybe if the maids are thirsty, they can buy their own water. The room is outdated and needs refurbishment. It would be better just to buy tickets for the game. Also, double beds in the rooms were small.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Jim178,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the stadium experience. Please email us your contact information at fo@renaissancetoronto.com to review your folio.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked two rooms overlooking the Toronto Blue Jays field as a special treat for our baseball-loving family. That experience, though pricey, was terrific. It was extraordinary to watch a game from a hotel room.

However, our visit was soured considerably by the parking situation and the cavalier way we were treated by management.

We arrived on late on a Friday afternoon, hoping to valet park our car after an arduous 5-hour journey to the hotel. No luck. The attendant told us that valet was full -- hadn't heard that one before -- and that we'd have to self-park. He directed me to a lot a few blocks away that contained spaces dedicated to hotel guests that he assured me were available. Alas, when I arrived at that lot, the attendant there told me that it, too, was full. So I had to drive around downtown Toronto in search of a surface lot, which I eventually found and for which I paid $20.

That's annoying -- a hotel where guests can't park and where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing? -- but not calamitous. But here's where it gets *really* irritating.

The surface lot required that I remove my car by 8am. I did that, then drove back to the hotel, where I'd hoped to deposit my car for a few hours before we left for the airport. That morning's attendant said I could do that -- but the hotel would charge me $35, a full-day valet fee. When I explained the situation -- that the previous day the hotel's promised valet service turned out to be nonexistent and that the attendant directed me to a lot that was full -- he was sympathetic but he had no authority to waive the fee.

I then talked to the front desk agent, explaining that it wasn't exactly great customer service to deny their guests the ability to park, direct them to a full lot, force them to find their own parking -- and then, when the guests were forced to re-locate the car for a few hours because of the hotel's ineptitude, to charge them $35 for the privilege.

The front desk agent was unsympathetic or perhaps clueless. (It was hard to tell). We asked to talk to a manager. She said she'd talk to that person on our behalf. And the manager, who never bothered to show his or her face, also refused to waive the fee.

So . . . after we'd dropped roughly $1000 as guests of this hotel, the Renaissance's crack management team decided it was good business to ding us an additional $35 to store our car for a few hours because of their own ineptitude.

Bottom line: The rooms overlooking the baseball field were great. But the way the place is run is minor league -- so much so that you should avoid staying here.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear ConejaDC,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that the stadium view room exceeded your expectations. I am sorry that it was soured by the valet service received. We will work with Rogers Centre to establish a better way of communicating and monitoring the alternative lots in the vicinity when theirs is at full capacity. That is a frustrating experience for sure. Please contact us a fo@renaissancetoronto.com to review your billing details.
Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our weekend at the Renaissance was very enjoyable. We went to Toronto for the weekend to see a Blue Jays game. We couldn't have asked for a better location for the hotel, it is located right beside the Rogers Centre, we were literally a five minute walk to our game gate. We were also pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel and noticed the restaurant Arriba had a view of the stadium field. We had tickets for Saturdays afternoon game but were able to watch the Friday night game as well over dinner and drinks at the hotel restaurant. I give credit to the service staff at the restaurant, for doing a fine job. Check in was quick and painless. Room service prices were comparable, and prompt. Housekeeping was great, they let us sleep in and came back later when we were out to clean room. The hotel room price was steep but I am not surprised considering the location, my only real complaint is the extra additional charge for high speed Wi-Fi. With the high expense of the room, it should be included in you room fee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Recently stayed at the Renaissance Toronto Downtown for a special occasion. The room was absolutely beautiful - modern, spacious and most importantly, very clean. The associates at the hotel were excellent - recommending certain restaurants as well as helping us get tickets for the activities that can be done around the area - there are lots!; Absolutely no complaints from the moment we arrived until we left. A huge thank you to the staff, especially Andrea. We will definitely be recommending and returning to this hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is only good for watching a Jays game from a stadium view room. We want here for the night and the game was great and the price of room service was decent.
The Bad: We had to move rooms and the manager was nice and got us moved quickly however during the rush of switching I left two expensive dresses in the closet. The next morning I went to the front desk and they told me there was nothing in the room. I know for a fact the dresses were left in the closet so I continued to check in to see if they were found. They made me feel like I had lost them and they were not helpful at all. They didn't call me or apologize just tried to get me off of the phone.
Other then the horrible customer services and staff stealing my dresses, the hotel was also dated and the room we were switch to was dirty with make up stains on the towels.
Horrible!

Room Tip: Stadium rooms only.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceTO, Front Office Manager at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear michlynne,

Thank you for submitting your review with regards to your recent stay at the Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the game from your initial room. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused due to your dress being misplaced. You are a valued guest and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I would appreciate, if you could contact me directly at adewan@renaissancetoronto.com or at the number below so that I can further investigate in this.

Regards