“Not worth it - better choices out there”
Review of Golden Griddle

Golden Griddle
Ranked #5,558 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This place has been in steady decline for several years. On this, my last visit, I went somewhat reluctantly because some friends wanted to go. I suggested Coras up the street but they wanted a "Golden Griddle" fix. They were from out of town.

Service was abrupt, slow and cranky. Food was sub-par. I won't be going back for anyone, especially when there is a much nicer place up the street with friendly staff and edible food.

There are newer reviews for Golden Griddle

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stopped eating pancakes a few months ago, but I can honestly say that these were the best pancakes I had ever eaten. Mine were the blueberry ones. It was a big stack of hot moist pancakes and the place had real maple syrup as an option.

My son had French toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon and he said it was the best breakfast he had in a restaurant in a very long time. We travel together a lot and he has a memory like a hawk.

Next time I'm in Toronto, I would take him for breakfast there again. Good service, and very clean. It's located in front of Holiday Inn hotel.

Breakfast 24 hours a day, and a good breakfast at that.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I stopped in for breakfast in the morning and really enjoyed ourselves! We were immediately greeted at the door and seated on the patio which is also a no-smoking patio! Yay!
The waitress was extremely attentive and all of our needs were met. My omelet was a bit overcooked but good nonetheless and my wife's food was also good (eggs benedict) but also overdone a bit. There are NO vegan/plant based options if you want pancakes which this restaurant advertises as their specialty which is very disappointing! You'd think they would be able to whip up a batch without milk but they didn't or wouldn't; not sure which. Bathrooms could have been cleaner but not horrendous. So overall a good experience but rather expensive in my opinion. $30 for breakfast?!?! Yikes!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Golden Griddle 45 Carlton Toronto, ON

That restaurant is the worst restaurant I ever been in my entire life literally. Omg I came in, and I said why is so empty, I was surprise because that day was World Pride 2014, and my friend said "that's because the food is really bad".

We went there though, because there was no were else to go like I said was World Pride and every other restaurant was full except that one. We sat down and we wait and wait and wait about 20 minutes we had to wait, and finally some one took our order, a very rude fat, butch women.
That butch women that took our order worst person ever, she was rude, she was also rude with the other workers, I was not ready to order so she told me "ok so you are not eating" and them we wait again really long. She shows up, I was eating a burger that I had in my backpack I was hungry and I did not want to eat there because she was really rude to me, but I had to stay there because all my friends were there. So she yell at me telling me "outdoor foods are not allow" so I apologyse and I put it away but that was not enough for her so she called her manager
and she came to me tell me in very rude wait the same thing embarrassing me in front of my friends.

Them we asked for the bill, and they were charging us stuff that they never bring to us, my friend didn't drink or eat anything because what she order they never bring it to her.

Finally in our wait to the exit they asked me if I paid, and I was like w.., paid what I didn't even order anything.

Nasty food and a horrible horrible service this is definitely the worst restaurant ever.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The only thing I didn't like was the waiting time. I appreciate fresh food, but being diabetic, I feel 30 minutes for a toasted turkey, swiss, and lettuce sandwich with fries and cole slaw in an empty restaurant is a little much. I did complain and the waitress, who was very nice, explained something that I don't remember as I begin to have memory problems when my sugar gets low. My son and I got our food, and even though it was simple fare, the turkey was moist, white, and thick. My son had a BLT and there was enough bacon that he even gave me two slices to put on my own sandwich without making his deplete of it. Very good old-fashioned cole slaw, and although I'm not a big fan of frozen fries, theirs were nicely cooked and crispy, obviously the oil was fresh, so they were actually very enjoyable. Free coffee refills and with hotel coupons we each got a very fresh side of fruit cocktail. With tip, it came to $25 and was well worth it. Just the waiting time was an issue, but it was unavoidable as I found out later. I told them that they should let people know this, though.