“Good but not great”

Ranked #32 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Kingston, Canada
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We used Hotwire to book a one-night stay in Toronto for a couples dinner/show visit. The best thing about our stay was the value.... 55% off the best price the hotel offered on their website. We had stayed here before with our children on a family weekend to Toronto (... kids LOVED the rooftop pool on 17th floor) so were pleased we got this hotel. Staff reception (professionalism, efficiency and friendliness) also rated highly and we were allocated a King room on the 12th floor. Hotel location was convenient for us (... show at Wintergarden theatre and dinner at top of CN Tower) and our room was very quiet (neither street noise nor hallway noise). Underground parking available, albeit at a steep cost ($32 per night). After that it is the small things that lower my rating from great to only good. Pillows were thin, although the bed was comfortable. Bathroom VERY small (... had to have a pocket sliding door to make it workable). Room while not miniscule was also not spacious. Shower only (no bath). Water pressure very weak and therefore difficult to control temperature... water either freezing cold or suddenly scalding hot. Drawer space very small. Décor 70's style (built-in drawers with brightly coloured plastic fronts... presumably to save space in small room). Cleanliness was OK but we did notice that there were some older stains on the bedding. All in all we were very pleased as the hotel served our needs (... someplace to simply sleep), but I certainly wouldn't have been pleased if I had paid full hotel price and I would have looked for something more spacious if our stay had been longer. I'd definitely use Hotwire again and definitely be OK if I got an inexpensive room at the Hyatt Regency.

Room Tip: The south-facing rooms on the upper floors will have stunning views of CN Tower and are worth asking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed there twice now, but each time, the hotel put me in a room just pleased me in difference way.

The first time was a spacious and modern suite, and the section was the top floor king size room with door to the balcony ( unfortunately, for the security reason, the door can't be opened).

Room is modern and comfortable, wi-fi was reliable and fast.

underground garage charge $32 canadian dallor per night.

There was no club lounge, but for diamond member, you get free breakfrast at the restaurant downstire, only I wish the breakfast had more choice.

Check in and check out was fast.

Will come back

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked this hotel on Priceline. I was pleased with the value received for the amount paid. I stayed at this hotel numerous times when it was a Holiday Inn and I was pleasantly surprised with the updated lobby. There were a few things that were surprising however. It seems as though there may be accessibility issues. I entered and exited the hotel a few times and did not see a door person at any time. The doors to enter the hotel (on King Street) are regular doors - they do not automatically open. This might be problematic if one was carrying a lot of luggage. Also, there are steps up to get to the lobby. Again, if one was carrying a lot of luggage or had mobility issues this may be an issue. Fortunately, I was traveling light.

The room and television were large and the view pleasant enough. The bathroom was clean and the amenities excellent. The swimming pool is on the 17th floor and offers fantastic views of Toronto. It would be easy to spend an afternoon on the pool deck.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelGirl181747
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been waiting to write this review ever since we checked out YESTERDAY!! Its because this stay was everything we expected and much more! It would be unfair not to share!

We stayed here because it was my husbands' birthday and we had planned two busy days in Toronto. We had initially booked a room with Hotwire for a great price, which we later upgraded to a King room with a view of the CN tower. We were pleasantly surprised when we were given a room on the 20th floor (the topmost) with a beautiful view of the CN tower:-)

The location was great - its close to the CN tower and Rogers centre. There's plenty of good places to eat nearby and things to do as well. The Second City (the comedy club) is right across the street and on checking in, we were given a discount coupon for the shows there. We did end up going there, and it was a good recommendation. We laughed a lot that night!

There's plenty of parking available within the building and around. We didn't know this before so we paid for parking through the hotel itself.

The room was spacious, clean and modern - a big flat screen TV graced the modern, in-built dark-wood console opposite to the super luxurious bed, which had a large headboard matching the console itself. A desk and chair, and Keurig coffee maker was on either side of the TV console. And then of course, there was the VIEW itself - a large window that spanned the wall - overlooked the busy streets below and the CN tower close by. Although there were
blackout curtains and sheers, we left the curtains open all the time, and watched the city change colors at night and emerge from the fog in the morning....it was beautiful...!
The washroom had marble walls and floors, and came with a bunch of nice bath products. They even had a weighing scale in there!

Above everything else, I was most impressed with the staff, the Executive Chef in particular (Mr. Wesley) I had requested for a small birthday cake to be brought into the room at 12 am as a surprise - but the hotel only orders the large 10" ones for their use. However, Mr Wesley, in spite of his busy schedule and responsibilities, returned my calls each time trying to plan out my little surprise and in the end, he just told me " Dont worry, I will take care of everything for you, just call me when you check in". Needless to say, at 12 am, there arrived a custom ordered little cake, set in a big tray with candles and fresh strawberries on the side. We were truly impressed and grateful that he was so accommodating and thoughtful. It does say a lot about the hotel itself - they really go out of their way so you have a good time...

I highly recommend this hotel and will return again for sure. The pics I've posted do no justice to the reality. If you decide to go, you'll know what I mean:-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto and that everything overall was more much than what you expected. Also, it is nice to hear that you will recommend the hotel to others and you will return yourself its great location for close to the CN tower and Rogers centre, it is parking, spacious, clean and modern rooms, as well as the excellent service offered by staff during the visit. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you back very soon.

Erin, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had another great stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto. We have stayed here several times in the last 6 weeks. I would recommend the upgraded Suites with King bed, 2 large tvs, bar area separate living area... they are great!! Hotel in right on King Street West just minutes from Wayne Greskeys, Rogers Centre and they indicate over 150 restaurants within walking distance. Rooms super clean and very quite as well. Out door pool on the 17th floor with bbq and mini bar. Good staff and I would recommend it especially if attending a Jays Baseball game!

Room Tip: get the room and parking package.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto and you appreciated your room upgrade to the suite with king bed and 2 large TVs, bar area and seperate living room. Also, it is a pleasure to hear that the rooms were super clean and very quite as well and that the staff was very helpful and friendly. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you back very soon.

Austin, TX
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is walking distance to CN Tower as well as dozens of interesting restaurants and bars. If you are driving your car here, it is a hassle to find the parking entrance and park your car, so take a cab if that's an option. When I came back from a work out, the lock didn't work. After getting a replacement key and being told to keep it away from my phone, it turns out the battery died in the lock. It took them 20 minutes to send someone up, then another 40 minutes to find a battery, replace it and reboot the lock.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they are larger and have a better view.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Such a great hotel! Outstanding location, right downtown, close to CN Tower, Rogers Stadium, Air Canada Centre, Queen Street and Eaton Centre. The rooms are spacious, cozy and clean, everything you expect from this kind of hotel! Staff is friendly and helpful. We'll go back for sure!

1 Thank Chantal P
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto and you appreciated all great service offered by our very helpful and friendly staff. Also, It is a pleasure to know that you will go back for its great location right downtown and for it room cleanliness, spacious and cozy. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you back very soon.