“Nice location but could do with updating”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
London, United Kingdom
“Nice location but could do with updating”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a recent visit to Toronto. As a club member I was greeted and warmly welcomed. The reception area is pristine. I had a room on a high floor overlooking the lake which was pleasant enough. The rooms are of a good size which is good. The room could do with updating though. The pool again is a nice touch and I used it a couple of times when there. The location is good if you are going to see the Blue Jays play or the CN Tower.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear PlayboyPK,

Thank you for comments. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit with us and received the exceptional service our team is best known for. It was also a pleasure to read that you had the opportunity to relax by our pool oasis during your stay and truly escape the hustle and bustle of the busy city.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and should you ever require any assistance with your reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

M5V 2X3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations in every way. The location was right down by the waterfront, next to the conference centre, sport stadiums and Ripleys Aquarium. Lots of easy transit options nearby, plus walking distance to the prime areas of Queen/King/Yonge/Dundas. Also lots of great bars and restaurants within a couple of blocks. Check-in was fast and efficient, and in-room wifi was free for IC members. My room was spacious, the bed was comfy, and I had an amazing view of the waterfront and the CN Tower! All the staff were friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Ian for his sightseeing advice, and Kyle for his great company. The food from the restaurant was delicious, and I had a fantastic local wine at the bar. And to top it off, on my last night I got to watch an amazing fireworks display from the comfort of my room! I would definitely recommend this hotel, and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BT2007
Dear BT2007,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to provide our guests with memorable experiences and we are delighted that we were successful in exceeding all of your expectations. It was also a pleasure to read your kind comments about Ian and Kyle. They both continuously aim to deliver superior "at your side" service to all of our guests and we know they will be truly grateful for you recognition.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to provide you with many more unforgettable experiences in the future.

Pefferlaw, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband was taking part in the masterchef Canada auditions on July 12 and we decided it would be fun to come down to the city the night before and stay at the hotel. So glad we did! The staff was great, very accommodating and informative with the local hot spots. We NEVER had to open the hotel door there was always someone there to say good morning or good evening. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The pool area was nice, the lobby was spotless and information screen was helpful!
My ONLY comment was the hallways were freezing!
other than that, great stay, would go back again and recommend anyone to stay there and enjoy the hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Lorene2012,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us and hope your auditions for Masterchef Canada went well! It is always our goal to provide our guests with exceptional service and we are delighted that our team was successful in delivering this to you.

Thank you for bringing your concerns regarding the corridor air conditioning to our attention and we are happy to let you know that our Engineering Team has rectified the issue.

Your kind reccommendations are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was a very nicely located hotel. It was within walking distance to many different venues. I was attending a convention and traveling with friends. The hotel is beautiful and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Lee M,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your visit with us during your recent convention. Our team always aims to provide our guests with memorable experiences and we are thrilled that we had the opportunity to do this for you.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This was a really great location for us. This was the first time we have visited Toronto and it was central to so many places and activities. The room was quite large and clean. I wish we had tried the pool but the days were so sunny we really wanted to be outside. I'd stay here again. The only complaint is that the TV was not responsive. It became a hassle to deal with.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JucyFanousy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit and found our location to be convenient for your needs. We certainly are located at the center of it all and within steps the many great sites Toronto has to offer.

We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the TV in your guestroom and will be sure to have our engineering team look into this issue further.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return.

Lucan, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for 5 days at a convention in July, We had a Junior Suite and it was beautiful. Staff was very helpful from getting us from the car to the room, to cleaning, and also to getting interpreters when I needed them as a greeter for the Convention. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Barbara T,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of and we are thrilled that we were successful in exceeding all of your expectations.

Thank you for your review and reccommendations and should you require any assistance when planning your return, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Ferndale, MI
Reviewed 12 July 2014

So I selected the Intercontinental with help of Tripadvisor. I wanted a central location in downtown Toronto from which we could easily walk to the city's attractions and explore. The good news is that the location, as most other reviewers have mentioned, is great. Perfect, central, wonderful.

As far as the bad news? We haven't slept so poorly in a hotel in years. The beds and pillows were unsupportive and uncomfortable. I wasn't the only one in our group who didn't sleep, either. Everyone tossed and turned; everyone had backaches in the morning from the beds. I would hazard a guess that the mattress and the pillows are old and need replacing. The bathroom lighting, strangely positioned under the mirror (and just above the sink) was dim and unfortunate. Overall, the room was extremely dated and not what we expected from an Intercontinental. Even small things like light switch covers were yellowed, worn, and grim in appearance. Now, I stayed at this same hotel 9 years ago with absolutely no complaints. Actually, my great stay in 2005 was one of the reasons I decided to book it again. Let's just say I regret that decision.

We happened to visit during a heat wave and had hoped to cool off in our room following a 10-mile walk around the city. That did not happen because the air conditioning, while it functioned, never seemed to get the room cool enough to be comfortable, even when we turned it as low as it could go. Upon checkout, I mentioned the A/C to the front desk, and to the Intercontinental's credit, the gentleman apologized and said I should've mentioned it earlier. Yes, I probably should've. I'm not sure that would've fixed any of the other issues we had.

Also of note: We parked in the hotel garage, and while it's sort of confusing, it's no big deal to me. It was $26 or $28 a night, which I thought was reasonable. The lobby was large, airy, modern. The staff were professional and efficient. If you're a IHG rewards member, you get free WiFi, which was fantastic. And again, the hotel's location is superb.

I don't know if the hotel is undergoing a renovation and we got stuck with a bad room....or if all rooms are in similar condition. I just know that I won't bother to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear aliasrlm,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. While I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as that service you received from our team, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in your guestroom.

I certainly understand the concerns you mentioned and am delighted to let you know that we are planning a refresh of some of our guestrooms this summer which will be sure to address these issues. Our hotel also boasts several newly renovated "Feature Guestrooms" that were renovated last summer and offer spectacular views from floors 18-25.

As an IHG Rewards Member, your loyalty is highly valued by everyone on our team and I would love to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty and personally assist you with your future reservations. I have provided my contact details below and welcome you to contact me directly when planning your next visit.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon.