“Great spa & location in dt TO is perfect”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Recently stayed one night as a staycation to chill out at the spa, relax at the pool and stayed overnight. Check in was speedy, friendly and room offered great views of the city. It's a wonderful location with good restos right across the street on Front & within walking distance to CN Tower, Aquarium, etc. Room was spacious enough, modern, clean & room service food was great & fast. Bar in lobby is spacious, relaxing and service was great. Spa was absolutely fantastic and I sat on the sun on the deck for spa guests which was such a wonderful retreat after a hectic week. That is a real treat! Spa staff is very professional and welcoming. Indoor pool is great as is hot tub. Only caveat is with families that are vacationing, pool can become very loud & crowded. Gym is quite small for the size of the hotel but if you belong to Goodlife you can go next door to it on Station Street (or get a guest pass). Would definitely recommend and hope to get back to the spa!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Cruizergrl,

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to relax at our Spa oasis. The Spa InterContinental truly is a wonderful place to unwind and escape the busy city. Our Spa team always provides our guests with professional service accompanied by a tranquil atmosphere, and we are overjoyed that we had the opportunity to do this for you after the hectic week you had.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to both the hotel and the spa very soon.

M5V 2X3

Write a ReviewReviews (2,799)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the InterContinental Toronto Centre in mid July and had a wonderful experience.
Before we even arrived the staff answered some questions we'd posed via e-mail very quickly so hats off to the front desk seniors and the concierge staff.
The junior suites are very spacious and comfortable with a large bedroom and separate (but smaller) living room area.
The bathroom is modern and spacious. The shower water pressure is very good.
The view of the waterfront and CN Tower is amazing- especially from our suite on the 20th floor (room 2037).
We were there during the World Cup finals and the area was electric - especially with the CBC watch party down the street. (CBC headquarters is almost right across the street.)
The service was impeccable. From the valets to the bellman to the front desk and concierge staff, we were very pleased.
The king bed was to die for. We had a rollaway bed for our teenage daughter which was easily the most comfortable rollaway we've ever encountered.
There are plenty of roomy, speedy, elevators so we never had to wait and wait and wait like in some places.
There's a mini-bar in the room stocked to the gill with all kinds of drinks. We actually took out the hotel-supplied drinks, placed them aside and used the fridge for storing our drinks. We did have a problem with the fridge not keeping drinks cold and after I mentioned it to a front desk clerk in passing, maintenance showed up in a matter of minutes - and even brought another fridge (which got drinks very cold!) to use in its place.
The wi-fi works very well. There is usually a charge, BUT if you join the IHG Rewards program (which is free) the wi-fi is free.
The location is probably the best in Toronto. Steps to CN Tower, the aquarium, the Rogers Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame and more. Eaton Centre, the Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, Ontario Science Center and more are a short drive away. And don't forget Niagara Falls is about a 90-minute drive. If you haven't seen the falls, by all means go. It's amazing. If you're looking for great hotel close to attractions like these, the InterContinental Toronto Centre should be your choice.
Now for the other hand.
Parking is very expensive. We used the hotel valet parking at $45/day. Normally I wouldn't do that, but with other parking garages nearby charging $28/day with no in-out privileges I spent the extra money. Was it worth it? I'm not sure - but the valet service was very convenient and prompt so it probably was.
The price for items in the mini-bar is insanely high, bordering on price-gouging. That's why we stopped at a grocery on our way from the airport and brought our own supply of drinks for the family, took items out of the mini-bar, set them aside, then returned them to the mini-bar before we left. Perhaps businessmen on an expense account are ok with such prices. I'm not - especially on a family vacation. (I'd even feel guilty charging it to my expense account!)
The food prices at the Azure restaurant were equally astronomical. With so many other restaurants nearby we never ate at the Azure but I'm sure it's spectacular. If you so desire -- there's a McDonalds and other fast food restaurants across the street at the Simcoe Place food court.
We noticed a discrepancy in temperature between the bedroom and living room areas. The bedroom would cool a lot more than the living room, even with the curtains closed to block out the hot July sun. Not a major deal, but noticeable.
And though there were plenty of places to plug in chargers, there was no alarm clock in the rooms. Even in this day and age when most people use their cell phones for clocks and alarms, it's very convenient to have a normal, ordinary alarm clock in the room.
But the minor cons are far outweighed by the amazing pros.
Would we stay here again when visiting Toronto?? You bet. In a heartbeat.

Also note that there is a lot of road construction going on right now in Toronto. I love the city, but be prepared. The Gardiner Expressway is often a parking lot. You'll likely find many city streets blocked for construction (Even down the street by Union Station is a mess). Even so, Toronto is a great place... and will be even greater when the construction is done!

Room Tip: - Request an upper level room with lake and CN Tower view, the views are amazing. - Request the vi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flymeawayyyyyy

Dear flymeawayyyyyy,

Thank you for the two thumbs up! We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent say with us. It was great to hear that your guestroom was to your liking and you had the opportunity to take in the breath taking views during your visit.

Most importantly, we are delighted to learn about the superior "at your side" service you received from everyone on our team. It is always our goal to provide our guests with memorable experiences and we are happy to know that we were successful in doing this for you.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future and should you ever require any assistance with your reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Early check-in was quick and efficient. I arrived at 2:30 before 4:00 pm check-in and my room was not ready, which is totally ok as I was early. I was shown the concierge floor lounge and just barely got seated when my room was ready. The room was average with a smaller than average work desk with at first, no working outlets. After fiddling with the furniture, I discovered a cord hanging on the back that was not plugged in. The windows have a nice cushion bench built in behind the drapes. The bed was quite comfortable. The lighting in the bathroom was great, often you get a bare minimum that is away from the mirror but not here. An above average selection of toiletry supplies was available too. Afternoon tea was served complimentary in the 8th floor lounge and was tasty. The fitness room was underwhelmingly small. For dinner, due to time constraints, I chose a quick bite in Azure on the main floor. I had looked at the menu in the room and expected to order one of their special combos for a fixed price. However, the menu was different in the restaurant and much pricier. Almost reluctantly, the waiter agreed to get me the burger I had requested. It came with a caesar salad which was quite heavy on the dressing but the burger was cooked and tasted just right. Unfortunately, midway through dinner I discovered a long piece of hair in my napkin - ick! I grabbed another and pointed it out next time the waiter came by who said something like "that's disgusting" and promptly whisked it away. I expected at least an apology if not a complimentary dessert or a visit from the manager - nothing, nada, zip. Not a good impression at all. The bill came, I paid, and left, not impressed. Breakfast the next morning was much better with my work colleague enjoying the buffet, although a bit pricey at $28 and myself the candied pecan french toast, which was quite good. Our orders including coffee and orange juice with tip rang in at $71, a bit steep for sure. Checkout was quick and efficient on the 8th floor concierge desk. Overall, I expected better quality rooms and service at a 5 star InterContinental for the $309 price paid, especially the inconsistent service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side back onto the train station which can be noisy at times.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear YYC2anywhere,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. While I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our Club Lounge as well as the amenities offered in your guestroom, I would like to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experience you had in our restaurant. I can certainly understand your frustration, but assure that the service you received is not typical of the level of service our team is known to provide.

I have shared your comments personally with our Director of Food & Beverage, who will be following up internally to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. I have also provided him with your feedback regarding pricing, which will be reviewed to see how we can improve in this area.

We do hope that your recent experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future and I would be delighted to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty. I have provided my contact information below and welcome you to contact me directly, at your convenience.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here on work in July 2014.

Arrived at the hotel to find no doorman or bellboy to help with the luggage...not a big issue but strange for a big hotel. Check in was smooth and easy.

Went up to the room and was delighted by the size of the room. It was 3x the size of my previous room in NYC. However, the room is showing its age....somewhat worn out. Secondly, there were no charging points available...I had to take out a lamp to charge my phone...again not a big deal but inconvenient. The lighting in huge room is a bit dim, especially for the size of the room...management should put in some more lighting fixtures, I think.

The bathroom was also showing its age but the kicker for me was a bunch of long hairs in the basin. Eeeeks. Just left me wondering about the hygiene of the hotel.

We had breakfast the next morning and the service was mixed again. Orders were taken quickly but didn't show up till we requested them after about 25 minutes. The host was all smiles but it doesn't help to smile if you can't deliver basic food quickly. He also got my order wrong but we were running too late to care.

Also the receptionist refused to print a copy of the bill for me....insisting that a copy had already been sent to my room that morning (which I didn't receive) and another e-copy had been mailed to me. I insisted till I received a physical copy...somewhat uncalled for behavior, even if you are trying to save paper. However another receptionist helped me with some email print-outs since their Business Center printers were not working (strange issue with an internal credit card mechanism).

Any how, the positives are that the location is great...right by our meetings and also near several restaurants and bars and the ballpark and CN Tower. The hotel could be a real gem if they get their service act right.

I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Request room with view of CN tower and the water.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear TooshMan,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience with us. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, however, I would like apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your visit. I can certainly understand your frustration, but assure you that the service you received is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide.

I have shared your concerns regarding your guestroom and experience in our restaurant with the appropriate departments who will be following up internally to ensure we improve in these areas. You will also find my contact details provided below, should you wish to discuss your experience in greater detail.

I also invite you to contact me personally when planning your next stay, as I would love the opportunity to ensure you have a flawless experience from beginning to end.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to regaining your loyalty during your next trip to Toronto.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Weekend stay in Toronto visiting CN tower, Toronto Islands and Niagara Falls. Clean, helpful, stylish and best meal ever in the hotel restaurant azure. The location is really central, hotel is air conditioned too, not stuffy rooms. Staff polite and helpful

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Jbr2444,

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our central location as well as the comfort of our guestrooms during your recent stay with us. It was also wonderful to hear that you received such memorable "at your side" service from our team, as this is what we always strive to provide.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nowhere close to InterContinental standards. My bathroom was dirty upon arrival, but worse, was not cleaned after I asked it to be cleaned! Hallway base boards are dusty, etc. On the plus side, it had a very good central location. Parking is more expensive than in New York City! I'm an InterContinental platinum member and next time I will stay at the Holiday Inn downtown, it's a much better property, good location and much better value.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear ingnutts,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for your continued loyalty as an IHG Rewards Platinum Member. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experience you had during your recent stay with us and can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide.

I have shared your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bathroom with our Director of Housekeeping, who will be addressing your concerns internally to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future.

In addition, I would also be delighted to have the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail, as your loyalty is highly valued by everyone on our team. I have provided my contact details below, and invite you to contact me personally, at your convenience.

Thank you again for reviewing us and I hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were connected to the Intercontinental Hotel via Hotwire, and were so happy with this find!

The hotel is quiet, clean and has the fastest elevators and best assortment of pillows ever!

The concierge service is an excellent source of maps and information about recommended local restaurants and public transportation to important sites in the city.

Outside the door are the Rogers Centre for sports events, the CN Tower, and Ripley's Aquarium.

Want to capture a spectacular view of the city from a boat and see the tranquility that lies just off shore in the Toronto Islands? Then take a 45 min. boat cruise to the Toronto Islands, walking distance from this hotel.

A 20 min. walk from the Intercontinental Hotel will bring you to the famous St. Lawrence Market, and 10 minutes more will take you to the Distillery District.

We have been to Toronto many times, but this visit was our best because we focused on all there is to do within walking distance of the Intercontinental Hotel and along the adjacent shoreline.

Downside? Parking is expensive: $45 per night.

But overall, a great hotel experience.

Room Tip: 1621 will give you a beautiful view of the waterfront. 1618 is larger with a sofa and a city view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JKW333

Dear JKW333,

It is such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us and had the opportunity to visit the many nearby sites while exploring our convenient location. We were also happy to hear that our Concierge team was successful in providing you such prompt and professional assistance during your visit.

We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding our valet parking pricing, which we will be sure to share with the appropriate departments and review ways to improve in this area.

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us and we look forward to your return.