“Good central location, nice rooms, terrible wifi”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Adelaide, Australia
“Good central location, nice rooms, terrible wifi”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Intercontinental is centrally located, very close to the central train station and convenient for the airport bus. The rooms are spacious and well maintained although a little dated. There are plenty of amenities such as an iPod Dock, Bose sound system and coffee machine.

We got a room that backed onto the elevators and was very noisy, so avoid these rooms! The wifi is $14 a day if you're not a IHG member, so sign up before you go for free wifi. Paying for wifi in this day and age is frankly ridiculous. It's also incredibly slow, almost unusable. I'm glad I didn't pay the $14 for it!

Overall though it's a decent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Spanner82,

We delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as the comfort of your guestroom during your stay with us. We would however, like to apologize for the noise you encountered due to the elevators as well as for the issues you experienced with our internet.

As an IHG Rewards Member, your loyalty is highly valued by everyone on our team and we hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments who will be reviewing ways to improve in the areas you mentioned.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in greater detail or if you require any assistance with your future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

M5V 2X3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Parkhill, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night and I was very disappointed. We stood in line for an hour to check in and then come to find out our room only had one bed. We were travelling with friends for the One Direction concert so we had two parents (Moms) with 2 children in each room. Were late for concert because of slow check in. We were told that the Manager would contact the lady that booked the rooms and get things straightened out. She was never contacted. No cots available they said and had to call twice to get more blankets. I ended up sleeping on the floor! So disappointed with this place! We were travelling with 5 adults and 7 children and all 3 rooms only had one bed. Not happy!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura M
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to address your concerns. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced at check in as well as for the lack of communication during your visit. I can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide, as we always strive to ensure our guests' needs are taken care of.

I can certainly understand your disappointment and have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager, Warren Van Vorst, who will be reviewing the concerns you mentioned with his team to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. Warren would also be delighted to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact Warren, at your convenience, at warren.van.vorst@ihg.com.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Intercon at the Toronto Center couldn't be better located. If you get the right room, as I did, you can face the CN Tower, Toronto Island, Ripley's Museum, Steamworks. It's hard to beat.

Parking is abundant underneath the hotel, however, it is frequently quite full. So u might have to park very far from the entrance and lug your bags a few hundred meters. Of course there is valet parking for an exhorbitant price, but I opted for the long walk.

I had lounge access which, while small, was nice, albeit with a view of a somewhat ugly roof below. Service was acceptable, not stellar, food selection was quite ok. I will admit to enjoying sitting there. Most people, it seemed, had come for a hockey game. So it was full, then emptied en masse almost within a minute.

My room was renovated and quite nice, except for power cables. My pet peeve. The room had simply not been designed to plug anything in. I counted and photo 3 power extensions stuffed behind the bed, behind the desk, behind the TV, because there were insufficient outlets, and all of them were in the wrong location. I had to know this, because I had to crawl behind the desk to find a plug for my PC. Then my desk lamp didn't work, and it was because the power extension button had been depressed to off (maybe while maid was cleaning).

If I were to exclude location, I might give this hotel a 2-3 star. Location takes it to 4. But as I hate a poor power setup for my PCs, phone, tablet, I take it down to 3 stars.

Room Tip: Face the CN Tower, on upper levels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as our Club Lounge during your recent visit.

We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the extension cords in your guestrooms and have shared your comments with the appropriate departments who will be working to rectify these concerns throughout the hotel. We do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future, and I invite you to contact me personally so I may have the opportunity to regain your loyalty.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

birmingham UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights during a touring holiday across Canada and I must say it did live up to expectations The hotel is very central to everything, we had a room on a higher floor and didn't experience any noise from the road.

The bedroom and bathroom was bright and modern and very clean. We found the staff were really helpful. We had breakfast each day of our stay and there was an excellent choice of food, something for all tastes. My only complaint was the breakfast staff were very slow to take our empty plates away, even though the restaurant wasn't that busy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor in this city centre hotel to avoid any noise from the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear birminghamuksarah,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your recent visit to Toronto. It was great to read that the comfort of our guestrooms was to your liking and we were also pleased to learn that you enjoyed the wide selection of culinary items offered at our buffet. We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the timeliness of service and will be sure to share your concerns with the appropriate managers who will ensure any issues are addressed immediately.

Thank you again for reviewing us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Within short walking distance to dozens of restaurants and attractions. This hotel features all of the amenities you would expect and hope for. Helpful, friendly staff, easy access to parking. From the moment we pulled up to the front door we were treated as valued guests.

Dear Sud2Sun,

Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us. We were particularly happy to read that our team provided you with the superior "At your side" service we are best known for. As it is always our goal to ensure our guests' needs are taken care of, it was wonderful to learn that we were successful in doing this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and should you ever require any assistance with your reservations, please to do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Binfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great location for easily visiting the harbour front, cn tower as well as getting to the main station and key city centre highlights. Rooms were a reasonable size and most amenities except for free wifi which was disappointing. Concierge were really good at helping us organise our niagra falls tour. There was slight noise from the lifts going up and down but didn't really effect my sleep

Room Tip: Pick one away from the lifts
Dear Paul F,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and had the opportunity to explore the many nearby sites. We truly are located at the center of it all and offer an abundance of convenience for both our business and leisure travelers. It was also wonderful to hear that our Concierge Team assisted you in planning your trip to Niagara Falls and we hope you enjoyed the tour!

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Toronto.

North Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel months ago for the One Direction concert & was very unimpressed for the amount paid. It was just an OK stay..nothing great. It was mostly just a real hassle. Check in lines were ridiculously long with only 2 people working. Our room wasn't even ready upon check in, told us to check back an hour later. (We didn't arrive early either). Room was large but just eh..nothing fancy & not even that clean. You could tell they were rushed getting rooms ready. The bed was comfy that's about it. They didn't supply us with enough towels so in the morning my husband asked the maid on our floor, floor 13, for a towel, and she gave him the 3rd degree and was so rude about one lousy towel. The elevators were super crowded and slow...The whole stay was just really bizarre in my opinion...doubt I'd return for the price and the just eh service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Brenda T,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of the bed in your guestroom, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experience you had. I can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide, as it is always our goal to exceed our guests' expectations.

I have shared your comments regarding your experience at check-in and housekeeping services with the appropriate departments who will be reviewing the concerns you mentioned internally to ensure situations such as these do not reoccur in the future. I would also be delighted to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss you experience in greater detail. I have provided my contact information below and hope that you will contact me personally at your earliest convenience.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon.