“On my 50 + night with IHG in 2014...this was the worst”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“On my 50 + night with IHG in 2014...this was the worst”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

On the positive side, this hotel is very well located and the rooms are up to Intercontinental standards. Great location downtown, for CN tower, Blue Jays, etc. etc.

On the other side , we were maybe unlucky that day , but they had no sense of hospitality.

First we checked in with Samatha at 4 pm. The room was not ready,.... no excuses , no welcoming smile...Just : '' COME BACK N AN HOUR'' . I had to postponed my meeting at 5 30 pm downtown to come back to do the check-in a second time. Still not a smile or excuses for being late. Quite rude honestly.
The guy , that was there to store the luggage took our luggage without saying anything like : welcome, good afternoon, how are you....he gave us the coupon and he went away.....
After having waited in line for 15 minutes for the second check-in, they gave us a nice room ...with the A/C working at 20 % ( Maximum ) capacity.

I called several time and they finally sent a guy. The gentlemen was nice, but he said , he can't do nothing. We call back the reception : sorry ..... nothing we can do....it was midnight.

We slept maybe for 3 hours that night .

Before leaving the hotel , I told them to make sure to fix this A/C if they rent that room to somebody else. That time the girl was nice , she took note and credited the valet parking fee for the room.

Usually as Platinum Elite IHG member you might get a room upgrade,...... this time I was downgraded big time , and they seem that like they just don't care.

For a moment I had the impression I was in a old motel along Highway 401.

Room Tip: Visit the room before and make sure the A/C is working properly...specially in Summer
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank yves l
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear yves l,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Although I was happy to read that you enjoyed our convenient location, I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory experience you had overall. I can assure you that the service you received is not typical of the level of service our team is known to provide, as it is always our goal to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of.

Please know that your loyalty as an IHG Platinum Member is valued by everyone on our team and we hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Your comments have been shared with our Front Office Manager, Warren Van Vorst, who will be following up internally to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. Warren would also appreciate the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact Warren, at your convenient, at warren.vanvorst@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of speaking to you soon.

M5V 2X3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The good: The IC Toronto Centre is perfectly located, the rooms are fairly clean (though as I was doing a final sweep of my room, I discovered a used shower cap sitting right beneath where I'd placed my suitcase), and the overall ambience is pleasant.

The bad: On top of the aforementioned shower cap, they really nickel-and-dime you. Want internet that allows you to do more than check your email? That'll be $18. Want room service? You not only pay the listed price, you also pay for a $3.50 room delivery charge (which isn't listed anywhere very prominently), and there's a mandatory gratuity.

I'm not saying I'll never stay at the IC Toronto Centre again, since next time I'll know going in that they add on all kinds of extra fees, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for staying right in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank futurepm
Dear futurepm,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location during your recent visit, it was disappointing to learn that other aspects of your experience fell below your expectations.

It is always our goal to ensure our guests' have enjoyable experiences while staying with us and we will be sharing the concerns you mentioned with the appropriate departments to see how we can improve in these areas. We do take the feedback we receive from our guests' very seriously and always strive to make improvements where we can.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and should there ever be anything I can personally assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stay here every January during the Bridal Show. We are a vendor and it is so handy to just walk from our room to the convention center. My husband is handicap so this makes good sense for us. It is a little high in price but we can leave our vehicle set for the whole 4 days we are here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear wkshort,

It is great to learn that we have gained your loyalty due to our convenient proximity to the Convention Centre. It is always our goal to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of and we are happy that we have been successful in doing this for you during the annual Bridal Show.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Intercontinental is centrally located, very close to the central train station and convenient for the airport bus. The rooms are spacious and well maintained although a little dated. There are plenty of amenities such as an iPod Dock, Bose sound system and coffee machine.

We got a room that backed onto the elevators and was very noisy, so avoid these rooms! The wifi is $14 a day if you're not a IHG member, so sign up before you go for free wifi. Paying for wifi in this day and age is frankly ridiculous. It's also incredibly slow, almost unusable. I'm glad I didn't pay the $14 for it!

Overall though it's a decent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Spanner82,

We delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as the comfort of your guestroom during your stay with us. We would however, like to apologize for the noise you encountered due to the elevators as well as for the issues you experienced with our internet.

As an IHG Rewards Member, your loyalty is highly valued by everyone on our team and we hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments who will be reviewing ways to improve in the areas you mentioned.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in greater detail or if you require any assistance with your future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Parkhill, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night and I was very disappointed. We stood in line for an hour to check in and then come to find out our room only had one bed. We were travelling with friends for the One Direction concert so we had two parents (Moms) with 2 children in each room. Were late for concert because of slow check in. We were told that the Manager would contact the lady that booked the rooms and get things straightened out. She was never contacted. No cots available they said and had to call twice to get more blankets. I ended up sleeping on the floor! So disappointed with this place! We were travelling with 5 adults and 7 children and all 3 rooms only had one bed. Not happy!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura M
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to address your concerns. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced at check in as well as for the lack of communication during your visit. I can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide, as we always strive to ensure our guests' needs are taken care of.

I can certainly understand your disappointment and have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager, Warren Van Vorst, who will be reviewing the concerns you mentioned with his team to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. Warren would also be delighted to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact Warren, at your convenience, at warren.van.vorst@ihg.com.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Intercon at the Toronto Center couldn't be better located. If you get the right room, as I did, you can face the CN Tower, Toronto Island, Ripley's Museum, Steamworks. It's hard to beat.

Parking is abundant underneath the hotel, however, it is frequently quite full. So u might have to park very far from the entrance and lug your bags a few hundred meters. Of course there is valet parking for an exhorbitant price, but I opted for the long walk.

I had lounge access which, while small, was nice, albeit with a view of a somewhat ugly roof below. Service was acceptable, not stellar, food selection was quite ok. I will admit to enjoying sitting there. Most people, it seemed, had come for a hockey game. So it was full, then emptied en masse almost within a minute.

My room was renovated and quite nice, except for power cables. My pet peeve. The room had simply not been designed to plug anything in. I counted and photo 3 power extensions stuffed behind the bed, behind the desk, behind the TV, because there were insufficient outlets, and all of them were in the wrong location. I had to know this, because I had to crawl behind the desk to find a plug for my PC. Then my desk lamp didn't work, and it was because the power extension button had been depressed to off (maybe while maid was cleaning).

If I were to exclude location, I might give this hotel a 2-3 star. Location takes it to 4. But as I hate a poor power setup for my PCs, phone, tablet, I take it down to 3 stars.

Room Tip: Face the CN Tower, on upper levels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as our Club Lounge during your recent visit.

We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the extension cords in your guestrooms and have shared your comments with the appropriate departments who will be working to rectify these concerns throughout the hotel. We do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future, and I invite you to contact me personally so I may have the opportunity to regain your loyalty.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

birmingham UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights during a touring holiday across Canada and I must say it did live up to expectations The hotel is very central to everything, we had a room on a higher floor and didn't experience any noise from the road.

The bedroom and bathroom was bright and modern and very clean. We found the staff were really helpful. We had breakfast each day of our stay and there was an excellent choice of food, something for all tastes. My only complaint was the breakfast staff were very slow to take our empty plates away, even though the restaurant wasn't that busy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor in this city centre hotel to avoid any noise from the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear birminghamuksarah,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your recent visit to Toronto. It was great to read that the comfort of our guestrooms was to your liking and we were also pleased to learn that you enjoyed the wide selection of culinary items offered at our buffet. We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the timeliness of service and will be sure to share your concerns with the appropriate managers who will ensure any issues are addressed immediately.

Thank you again for reviewing us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.