“Great hotel and location”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #19 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here on first night in Canada. Easy and friendly check in & great rooms - high quality & comfort, Perfect location for the CN tower. Good range off coffee shops and restaurants nearby. Fantastic start to the holiday.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear happy B_Weardale,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to read that your enjoyed our convenient location during your visit and had the opportunity to explore the nearby sites. We truly are located at the center of it all, offering an abundance of convenience for both our business and leisure travelers and we are glad that you were able to experience this first hand.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The key feature in our choosing this hotel was its central location allowing us to walk to most destinations. It is also just a quick walk to the Union Station in case you want to go further away.

What we loved with the hotel was the great service and friendly staff. The room on the 23rd floor provided nice views (although with so much construction in the city the view was a bit hampered). It was clean and well furnished with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was spacious and the house staff did a great job making sure we had everything we needed. The pool area was large with a nice saltwater pool, a shallow pool for children, a nice hot tub, and saunas in the locker rooms. There was also a spa set-up where you could get everything from mani/pedis to full massage treatment with hot rocks and/or sticks (although we did not partake because the cost was a bit much).

The negatives revolved mostly around cost. The room was wonderful and quiet - even with a packed hotel of children (we were all there to see One Direction), but for the cost it should include WiFi and parking. Parking was convenient in the Conference Center underground lot attached to the hotel and Conference Center, but that added a large additional cost to the stay. The Wi-Fi was expensive - so we signed up to be IHG members to get the fee waved, but in most hotels - Wi-Fi is covered. The pool area and spa was also a bit on the posh side - it was very quiet and with small children it did not provide the "fun" experience of several smaller hotels we stayed in - more like going to the library. The restaurant was very nice and had a good breakfast buffet, but for my wife and I and a 12 year old daughter - the bill for the buffet was over $100- it is very hard to eat enough eggs and toast to justify that price. The final issue we had dealt with how slowly they cleaned or took care of your room. I know that they have a specific pattern to get empty rooms ready for the next guests, but they routinely would come to the room to clean and straighten at between 6 and 6:30 pm. We would spend the entire day out walking around the city and going to museums, or other sites and come back to the room at 6pm exactly as we left it in the morning and then while we are trying to get ready for the evening (either swimming or dinner) - the maid would show up to work on the room.

Overall the entire experience from the time you show-up to the time you leave is great - it feels and acts like a five star hotel, but all of that comes at a significant cost. We loved the location and would stay again because of the location, but I would plan a bit better on what to bring to help prevent spending big bucks on the little perks.

Room Tip: Sign up to be an IHG member to get the Wi-Fi covered at no charge.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ReunionTravelers
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear ReunionTravelers,

Thank you for your review and feedback. It was a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location during your visit as well as the superior "at your side" service delivered by our team. We always aim to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of and we are glad that we had the opportunity to do this for you.

We greatly appreciate the feedback you provided regarding our pricing and are delighted to let you know that we do offer a selection packages which include breakfast and/or valet parking. As you mentioned, we do offer complimentary internet to all of our IHG Rewards Members, which comes with many additional benefits. We were delighted to read that you have joined the program and are excited about your new found loyalty.

When planning your next visit to Toronto, please feel free to contact me personally. I would be happy to provide you with more information on the packages that might better suit your needs as well as have the opportunity to show our gratitude for your loyalty.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

On the positive side, this hotel is very well located and the rooms are up to Intercontinental standards. Great location downtown, for CN tower, Blue Jays, etc. etc.

On the other side , we were maybe unlucky that day , but they had no sense of hospitality.

First we checked in with Samatha at 4 pm. The room was not ready,.... no excuses , no welcoming smile...Just : '' COME BACK N AN HOUR'' . I had to postponed my meeting at 5 30 pm downtown to come back to do the check-in a second time. Still not a smile or excuses for being late. Quite rude honestly.
The guy , that was there to store the luggage took our luggage without saying anything like : welcome, good afternoon, how are you....he gave us the coupon and he went away.....
After having waited in line for 15 minutes for the second check-in, they gave us a nice room ...with the A/C working at 20 % ( Maximum ) capacity.

I called several time and they finally sent a guy. The gentlemen was nice, but he said , he can't do nothing. We call back the reception : sorry ..... nothing we can do....it was midnight.

We slept maybe for 3 hours that night .

Before leaving the hotel , I told them to make sure to fix this A/C if they rent that room to somebody else. That time the girl was nice , she took note and credited the valet parking fee for the room.

Usually as Platinum Elite IHG member you might get a room upgrade,...... this time I was downgraded big time , and they seem that like they just don't care.

For a moment I had the impression I was in a old motel along Highway 401.

Room Tip: Visit the room before and make sure the A/C is working properly...specially in Summer
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank yves l
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear yves l,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Although I was happy to read that you enjoyed our convenient location, I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory experience you had overall. I can assure you that the service you received is not typical of the level of service our team is known to provide, as it is always our goal to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of.

Please know that your loyalty as an IHG Platinum Member is valued by everyone on our team and we hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Your comments have been shared with our Front Office Manager, Warren Van Vorst, who will be following up internally to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. Warren would also appreciate the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact Warren, at your convenient, at warren.vanvorst@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The good: The IC Toronto Centre is perfectly located, the rooms are fairly clean (though as I was doing a final sweep of my room, I discovered a used shower cap sitting right beneath where I'd placed my suitcase), and the overall ambience is pleasant.

The bad: On top of the aforementioned shower cap, they really nickel-and-dime you. Want internet that allows you to do more than check your email? That'll be $18. Want room service? You not only pay the listed price, you also pay for a $3.50 room delivery charge (which isn't listed anywhere very prominently), and there's a mandatory gratuity.

I'm not saying I'll never stay at the IC Toronto Centre again, since next time I'll know going in that they add on all kinds of extra fees, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for staying right in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank futurepm

Dear futurepm,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location during your recent visit, it was disappointing to learn that other aspects of your experience fell below your expectations.

It is always our goal to ensure our guests' have enjoyable experiences while staying with us and we will be sharing the concerns you mentioned with the appropriate departments to see how we can improve in these areas. We do take the feedback we receive from our guests' very seriously and always strive to make improvements where we can.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and should there ever be anything I can personally assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stay here every January during the Bridal Show. We are a vendor and it is so handy to just walk from our room to the convention center. My husband is handicap so this makes good sense for us. It is a little high in price but we can leave our vehicle set for the whole 4 days we are here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear wkshort,

It is great to learn that we have gained your loyalty due to our convenient proximity to the Convention Centre. It is always our goal to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care of and we are happy that we have been successful in doing this for you during the annual Bridal Show.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Intercontinental is centrally located, very close to the central train station and convenient for the airport bus. The rooms are spacious and well maintained although a little dated. There are plenty of amenities such as an iPod Dock, Bose sound system and coffee machine.

We got a room that backed onto the elevators and was very noisy, so avoid these rooms! The wifi is $14 a day if you're not a IHG member, so sign up before you go for free wifi. Paying for wifi in this day and age is frankly ridiculous. It's also incredibly slow, almost unusable. I'm glad I didn't pay the $14 for it!

Overall though it's a decent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Spanner82,

We delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as the comfort of your guestroom during your stay with us. We would however, like to apologize for the noise you encountered due to the elevators as well as for the issues you experienced with our internet.

As an IHG Rewards Member, your loyalty is highly valued by everyone on our team and we hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments who will be reviewing ways to improve in the areas you mentioned.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in greater detail or if you require any assistance with your future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night and I was very disappointed. We stood in line for an hour to check in and then come to find out our room only had one bed. We were travelling with friends for the One Direction concert so we had two parents (Moms) with 2 children in each room. Were late for concert because of slow check in. We were told that the Manager would contact the lady that booked the rooms and get things straightened out. She was never contacted. No cots available they said and had to call twice to get more blankets. I ended up sleeping on the floor! So disappointed with this place! We were travelling with 5 adults and 7 children and all 3 rooms only had one bed. Not happy!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura M
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Laura M,

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to address your concerns. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced at check in as well as for the lack of communication during your visit. I can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of the level of service our team is known to provide, as we always strive to ensure our guests' needs are taken care of.

I can certainly understand your disappointment and have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager, Warren Van Vorst, who will be reviewing the concerns you mentioned with his team to ensure instances such as these do not reoccur in the future. Warren would also be delighted to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty and discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact Warren, at your convenience, at warren.van.vorst@ihg.com.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.