“This hotel urgently needs an update”

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Ranked #58 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Isle of Man
“This hotel urgently needs an update”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I always read reviews before I book but my experience here made me wonder if I stayed in the same place as other reviewers. I'm not overly picky with airport hotels- I just expect cleanliness, friendliness, quietness, and since we often stay at the Holiday Inn chain I thought I wouldn't be disappointed. The shuttle bus from the airport arrived promptly. The situation of the hotel is not inspiring, but it's an airport hotel after all. The check in was reasonably efficient and the staff helpful and friendly but there my favourable impression ceased.
We were on the 7th floor. There were no windows, and the corridor was gloomy with a ceiling which felt too low. Neither did it look particularly clean, with tatty wallpaper and a grubby looking carpet, so not a good first impression. Our room was nothing more than OK. It neither smelled nor looked particularly clean. On the plus side the beds were comfy, and 24 hour wifi was free, but the room had 70's decor and was not large, but dark and depressing. We could only get paying channels or advertising on the TV. The bathroom was small, cramped and, worst of all, someone else's dark hairs lurked in the bathtub. The windows wouldn't open, of course, so we tried to cool the place down with the in room A/C but soon abandoned this because the fan was so noisy it sounded like an airplane taking off. We should have complained I suppose, but we were tired after a busy week. There is a bar/restaurant but it wasn't very appealing to our tastes so we walked to a nearby Keg restaurant which cheered us up a little as the meal was great.
Breakfast the next day was 'free' but really I could have given it a miss. The 'hot' food was merely warm, some of the crockery and glassware had not been washed properly- something which always puts me off eating.
I was told that the airport shuttle the next day was 'first come, first served' which alarmed me a little, but in the event there wasn't a problem. The shuttle leaves every 20 minutes and the driver was friendly and helpful. Would I stay there again? In all honesty, no, not until the place has had an upgrade. Shame really, as the Holiday Inn chain is usually reliable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We do pride ourselves on our service to be friendly and provide a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained. I'm sorry that in this case we did not live up to your expectations. Our hotel is slated for renovations later this year and we are focusing on our guest touch areas including our corridors! I hope that you get a chance to stay with us again at some point after we do our facility upgrades as I know with our great staff and upgraded product we will more than exceed your expectations of a Airport Hotel!
Regards
DougGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Overall I have to say this was a good stay. Two large pools in and out door ,a whirl pool, also a fairly decent exercise room. For me there was enough free weights and 3 machines and bout 8 cardio machines.If your a work out nut you may not be that happy.
The bar and dinning room staff are very good and try to help you with what ever they can.
The room I had was not overly large nor small .It would be just enough room for 2 people .It was very well kept I thought.Clean carpets ,bed sheets ,great king bed ,lots of good pillows and lots of towels as well a nice shower.Nothing really fancy but nice and clean. A nice flat screen TV and good size as well.
The food overall was good and nice portions ,although there was an issue with the ribs but the staff addressed it right away .
The only one negative thing that could be said is there is one elevator (of the many that are there) that can not be trusted LOL. It seems to go where it wants to.It was getting to be a conversation piece.Once you ride it you will know .LOL at first it was kinda fun.
To all the Staff keep up the good work ,keep up the way you work with people as you made me feel like a valued customer .

Room Tip: The room I had on the 8th floor was very quiet.I never heard on any one complaining .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback as we appreciate your business as well as your comments! Our team works hard to deliver a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained a great hotel that guests love! We are a full service hotel that is the only hotel at Toronto's International Airport that does have two full size pools one indoors and one out as you mentioned. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our many amenities at the hotel. Our elevators like everything at times do seem to have a mind of there own but again we work hard with our service company to keep them in good working condition! Cheers till your next visit DougGM
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was a very reasonably priced hotel near the airport. On my way back from Montreal via the Canadian rail, I just wanted to be close the airport for my flight the next morning. The rooms where very clean, the shuttle to the airport leaves every 20 minutes. The breakfast is not free and the lobby bar is a little pricey. But I met some good people sitting at the bar, and a couple cute flight attendants. I only spend one night at this hotel, but was a high quality. Thank you.

Room Tip: The breakfast is not free, however the wifi is free. It has close proximity to the airport with fre...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher D
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback! As a Holiday Inn core brand we do offer a full service hotel with a lounge and a full service dining room serving breakfast lunch and dinner!! Our location very close to Pearson International Airport with our 24 Hour shuttle running every 20 minutes makes us very convenient makes us a great choice if you are catching a early flight!
North London UK
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I'm splitting this review into two sections, the bad part of our stay at this hotel, and the good.

First the bad, after a flight and baggage delays out of our control, we fell into the Holiday Inn late and very tired after being up for nearly 24 hours non stop. Only to find the hotel could not provide the room we'd booked and paid for in advance. Our booking was for a twin room with two beds and had been accepted as such, but all that could be offered was a single bedded room which all that was available due to a conference being held nearby and the hotel being very busy. I do not find it acceptable that a certain standard of room was promised and money was taken and then failed to be delivered it simply because the hotel was busy.

The good was the on site staff of the hotel did all they could to help us and solve the problem at the time which was approaching eleven o'clock at night. The solution was to provide a cot which while not perfect at least gave us two places to sleep. Once this was provided we literally fell into bed completely exhausted. On checking out we raised the issue of the room again, and were pleased at the positive attitude taken again by the hotel staff and management as in compensation all our charges to the room (breakfast/valet parking/bar) were cancelled.

Beyond this specific issue I have no fault with the hotel, the room apart from the lack of a second bed was fine with a good shower and bath. The restaurant offered excellent breakfast both buffet and a la carte, and the bar was welcoming. As i say at all times staff were polite, eager to help, and did their best. Location is great if your just flying into Toronto and not intending to go downtown.

Room Tip: Be aware this hotel is near a major conference centre and as such is frequently busy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thanks very much for sharing your feedback on your stay! I'm glad that you found our staff to be friendly and at your service as we work hard on our culture of being incredibly friendly and have a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained as we strive to become #1 hotel company in the world. Our hotel is a full service hotel and we are glad that for your short stay you were able to utilize the lounge and dining room as they are welcoming place to relax refuel and get on with your day! I'm sorry if you were not honoured with the room type that you felt you had booked but in fact a lot of times through 3rd party sites what is booked is a "run of house" or "standard room" and the room type is not guaranteed until check in. As for the team we preach empowerment to make it right for the guests to turn that negative into a somewhat positive experience do what it takes to make it right as you only have one chance!
Regards
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near the airport and is good if you have family. But if you're single or on business, there are definitely other better hotels in the area. Fortunately I only had to stay here for one night. Checking in and out was easy. The hotel staff are friendly, courteous, and professional. The staff at the hotel dining area are really nice and helpful. However, during my stay here, two of the five elevators were not working and the waiting time for an elevator was well above average. The room was clean and comfortable. And the bathroom was spacious and clean. There is an outdoor and indoor pool at this hotel which is great. Overall, the hotel is outdated and could use some more upgrades. But it is good value for money if you intend on staying overnight with family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us as we find that this helps us to get a good pulse of where we are from a guest perspective. We are happy that you see us as a family hotel as our brand was built on being a family hotel! Our hotel has great amenities like you mentioned the two pools one indoor and one outdoor pool and the nice thing about them is they are a size that allows for adults to do laps as well as an area for kids to play! I'm sorry to hear about the elevators acting up as we have had our issues with that and are waiting on parts for one to be rebuilt as we speak. I'm glad that you found the room to be comfortable and clean as that is very important to us at the hotel we strive to have great hotels that guests love and our team works hard to be incredibly friendly and spotlessly clean and well maintained!
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Staff treated me well - as a Platinum Elite member I got upgraded to the Presidential Suite(!). Great view overlooking Pearson, perfect for plane watching. Decor is a bit old, but everything was clean, with standard HI amenities. One very minor disappointment: the coffee maker had only decaf - I was given the last packet of regular at the front desk when I asked mid-afternoon, but still hadn't gotten the promised refills by the time I checked out the next morning. Convenient, if expensive restaurant in-house, and within walking distance of several good restaurants. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for sharing your comments with us on your recent stay! As a Platinum member I'm glad that our team recognized your loyalty to our family of brands and able to upgrade you accordingly! We do work hard at the hotel to be a great hotel that guests love. We are going to be seeing some upgrades to our hotel with a focus on the guest touch areas so you should see some changes by the end of the year which is exciting for us! As for the coffee in room sorry there were no regular coffee but have passed it onto the housekeeping team! Cheers till your next visit with us....DougGM
Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times whiles passing thru Toronto. Our latest stay was for 3 days on business and we were treated wonderful. The staff are very efficient and helpful. The rooms are clean even though the hotel is older. The bathrooms are adequate but roomy. It offers free airport transport every 20 minutes and its close proximity to the airport makes it a good choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joan H
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback our team looks forward in hearing how we are doing! We work hard on our culture to be a incredibly friendly hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained a great hotel that guest will love! It seems like we are doing a good job from your comments and yes we are a older hotel if 40 is old! But like every older asset we will be upgrading our facilities in the near future and we will be focusing on the guest touch area so stay tune and hope to see you soon in the near future!
DougGM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Westin Toronto Airport
#51 of 132 in Toronto
Etobicoke
Courtyard Toronto Airport
Courtyard Toronto Airport
#69 of 132 in Toronto
Etobicoke
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!